PDA

View Full Version : Paint still rough after claying

Mustang81
04-14-2012, 09:16 PM
I've clayed before but never really paid a whole lot of attention to what the paint felt like after though. Today I clayed my Mustang. It really needed it. It was a used car and I believe this is the first time it has been clayed. Some sections had the clay coming out very dirty.

I'm using the Megs clay kit. After claying some sections the paint still felt rough. Going over it again didn't seem to reveal any more contaminants in the paint and it didn't really seem to make a difference to the rough feeling. It certainly felt a lot better, just not like "glass". I tried feeling it out both with and without a plastic baggy on my hand.

What should my next step be? A different type of clay? Iron X? Should I go over it again with more pressure?

604_Snooze
04-14-2012, 09:27 PM
did you rub the dirty clay onto the car surface?
if the clay didn't pick up anymore contaminants, you could try IronX, then do a 1 step AIO if you don't have time.

CEE DOG
04-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I'd pull out the Iron X.

Mustang81
04-15-2012, 07:26 AM
did you rub the dirty clay onto the car surface?
if the clay didn't pick up anymore contaminants, you could try IronX, then do a 1 step AIO if you don't have time.

I don't think so. I would clay until it felt like the clay was gliding smoothly. Then I would wipe off the lube and feel the results. Still "gritty". I would then refold the clay and try again, but this time the clay would be clean. The feel after the second time was also still "gritty".

BobbyG
04-15-2012, 07:32 AM
You can try some Iron-X as Corey's recommended. It's a nice product especially if a finish has had little care or maintenance through the years.

What year is the car?
Does it feel rough all over?
Has the car been repainted?

Mustang81
04-15-2012, 07:43 AM
You can try some Iron-X as Corey's recommended. It's a nice product especially if a finish has had little care or maintenance through the years.

What year is the car?
Does it feel rough all over?
Has the car been repainted?

Only some spots seem to stay rough. I don't remember the exact panels, but it's more than just the horizontal ones. Some of the vertical ones are still rough.

I don't think the car has been repainted, but I really couldn't tell you. Before I owned it, it was owned by Ford as a company car in MI. I do know there are several spots where touch up paint has been used.

TimmyG
04-15-2012, 08:00 AM
A 2011 vehicle shouldn't bee too bad. Iron X is definitely worth a shot. I've had really solid results with the Meguiars clay kit on 10+ year old cars with HEAVY defects. Just be patient, let the Iron X dwell, and make sure you give it a nice rinse when completed. You can also clay again after the Iron X application, as it'll open the pores in the paint.

BobbyG
04-15-2012, 08:04 AM

Only some spots seem to stay rough. I don't remember the exact panels, but it's more than just the horizontal ones. Some of the vertical ones are still rough.

I don't think the car has been repainted, but I really couldn't tell you. Before I owned it, it was owned by Ford as a company car in MI. I do know there are several spots where touch up paint has been used.

OK, the reason I asked about repainting is it could be dust that came in contact with the paint while it was wet. Also, it's not impossible for this to be a paint defect from the factory.

Horizontal surfaces make sense as those surfaces tend to collect more airborne stuff that vertical panels.

You might try carefully wet-sanding those area's lightly will 2000 grit paper using a sanding block and see if this takes off those high points..then buff of course...

Mustang81
04-15-2012, 08:29 AM
A 2011 vehicle shouldn't bee too bad. Iron X is definitely worth a shot. I've had really solid results with the Meguiars clay kit on 10+ year old cars with HEAVY defects. Just be patient, let the Iron X dwell, and make sure you give it a nice rinse when completed. You can also clay again after the Iron X application, as it'll open the pores in the paint.

Would the 50ml sample be enough for one car?

TimmyG
04-15-2012, 08:50 AM
Would the 50ml sample be enough for one car?
Honestly, I would say no. I used about half of a bottle on my WS6. Maybe I was wasting product, but I felt like I evenly distributing it. Honestly, you maybe better off just getting a bottle of TRIX and take out two birds with one stone...

rwright
04-15-2012, 08:56 AM
OK, the reason I asked about repainting is it could be dust that came in contact with the paint while it was wet. Also, it's not impossible for this to be a paint defect from the factory.

Horizontal surfaces make sense as those surfaces tend to collect more airborne stuff that vertical panels.

You might try carefully wet-sanding those area's lightly will 2000 grit paper using a sanding block and see if this takes off those high points..then buff of course...

And this is why I'm glad you're around, very informative posts. :bowtobobbyg: