PDA

View Full Version : how to remove baked on wheek brake dust and grime!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Derek Short
04-14-2012, 11:52 AM
my neighbor wanted me to clean the alloy wheels on there suv, i tried 3 different cleaners i bought all from AG and nothing will remove the baked on brake dust/road grime on the wheels.

my question to you guys is what do u do in a situation like this? i think maybe i need something a bit more strong to use but don't want to risk ruining the finish of the alloy wheels.

what products would u guys recommend?
or suggest i do?
i followed the bottles instructions as well.

megacabcummins
04-14-2012, 12:16 PM
I've run into the same problem on my girlfriends Malibu, waiting for my sonax to get here to try that, if that doesn't work I am going to try steam. But I tried 3 different wheels cleaners, oil eater, simple green diluted and straight... nothing touched that stuff... I wonder if Iron X might do anything?????

StephenK
04-14-2012, 12:30 PM
my neighbor wanted me to clean the alloy wheels on there suv, i tried 3 different cleaners i bought all from AG and nothing will remove the baked on brake dust/road grime on the wheels.

my question to you guys is what do u do in a situation like this? i think maybe i need something a bit more strong to use but don't want to risk ruining the finish of the alloy wheels.

what products would u guys recommend?
or suggest i do?
i followed the bottles instructions as well.

which 3 products did you try?
any pictures of the wheel?

Derek Short
04-14-2012, 12:39 PM
which 3 products did you try?
any pictures of the wheel?

no pics of the wheel
i should have took some but its just a normal factory alloy wheel on a toyota sequoia.

i tried....

DP wheel cleaner
mother wheel cleaner
megs apc+
purple power
simple green

no luck with any of those...

rider9195
04-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Iron X works very good on caked on brake dust.

StephenK
04-14-2012, 12:45 PM
no pics of the wheel
i should have took some but its just a normal factory alloy wheel on a toyota sequoia.

i tried....

DP wheel cleaner
mother wheel cleaner
megs apc+
purple power
simple green

no luck with any of those...

i was more interested in seeing the baked on dust more APC+ at?

DealerDetailer
04-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Sounds like you have some tough wheels to get clean. I had the same experience recently...the most hideous wheels I've ever done.

I used Sonax wheel cleaner followed by Meg's Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner.

Here is a link to the process I went through. I think if Sonax and Megs Hot Rims can do what it did for these wheels, they should be able to help you out...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/48385-hideous-9-year-old-wheels-get-first-cleaning-ever.html

A-train
04-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Sonax full effect then Iron X

TimmyG
04-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner

Ask me how I know...

steeda
04-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner

Ask me how I know...

I will take the bait.....

how do you know?

Derek Short
04-14-2012, 01:44 PM
I will take the bait.....

how do you know?

haha +1

shipkiller
04-14-2012, 01:54 PM
On my track wheels, which has a whole lot of baked on brake dust after a weekend or two of play, I have used almost every type of wheel cleaner. Some work better than others. The BEST stuff I use is 'Goof Off'. Safe on the finish and just destroys brake dust, tar, rubber from the track etc...

oldmodman
04-14-2012, 02:55 PM
For incredibly dirty wheels, that the owner doesn't seem to care about and just wants cleaned, I use a product from Eagle One that I bought a bunch of at Big lots.

It is the most dangerous product I have ever encountered. It was designed for Chrome Wheels. Main ingredients are hydrochloric acid and hydrofluoric acid.

But that stuff will remove anything.

It almost killed me once. I was spraying it on some really cruddy truck wheels and wasn't paying close enough attention. The wind kicked up and blew a really tiny amount back toward me just as I was taking a breath. And I inhaled a very tiny amount. My lungs almost instantly filled with liquid. I knew I had to wash it out immediately. So I grabbed the hose and inhaled water. Had to do it three times before I could breath again. Then I called an ambulance and went to the hospital. I have worn a mask when using any type of chemicals ever since.

timaishu
04-14-2012, 03:16 PM
For incredibly dirty wheels, that the owner doesn't seem to care about and just wants cleaned, I use a product from Eagle One that I bought a bunch of at Big lots.

It is the most dangerous product I have ever encountered. It was designed for Chrome Wheels. Main ingredients are hydrochloric acid and hydrofluoric acid.

But that stuff will remove anything.

It almost killed me once. I was spraying it on some really cruddy truck wheels and wasn't paying close enough attention. The wind kicked up and blew a really tiny amount back toward me just as I was taking a breath. And I inhaled a very tiny amount. My lungs almost instantly filled with liquid. I knew I had to wash it out immediately. So I grabbed the hose and inhaled water. Had to do it three times before I could breath again. Then I called an ambulance and went to the hospital. I have worn a mask when using any type of chemicals ever since.

Are you referring to A2Z? Thats crazy! I've accidently inhaled fumes before from that stuff. I just got had to take a few deeps breaths and exhale fully to clear my lungs.

Rsurfer
04-14-2012, 03:23 PM
If Meg's Wheel Brightner doesn't get it off nothing will.