PDA

View Full Version : Washing machine stained my Surbuf pads!

TimmyG
04-14-2012, 07:40 AM
As the title states, I had a little "incident" with my washing machine yesterday. After detailing my Vette, I brought all of my dirty microfiber towels and microfiber cutting pads inside for washing. I normall wash my polishing pads with chemicals guys pad wash in a 5 gallon home depot bucket. Basically a hand wash. Yesterday, for whatever reason, I figured I'd give the pads a good wash in the washing machine. I washed them with my MF towels with cold water and used the delicate setting on the machine. When I checked the wash to switch them over an hour later, my surbuf pads were stained red! Normally, I wash all of my different colored towels together with no problems. What I think happened was the Meguiars D300 that I used on a couple Megs MF cutting discs ended up staining a bunch of my MF towels and my surbuf pads. I was pretty upset about it. :doh:

Anyways, the microfingers on the pads look fine, it looks like only the foam is actually stained. I'm wondering if these pads are still ok to use, or if I should simply toss them? I used them literally twice before this debacle. Also stained a Cobra guzzler and a few Cobra supreme MF towels.

Learned my lesson though. :nomore:

loudog2
04-14-2012, 08:58 AM
I would not wash the surbuf pads with your MF towels. Those fingers on the surbuf pads get trapped in the loops of the MF.

Setec Astronomy
04-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Staining doesn't effect the performance of anything. I kind of doubt that the D300 stained that stuff, probably more likely a red or orange towel you hadn't washed before. I can't tell you the times I've tinted a whole load with that one new towel.

TimmyG
04-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Staining doesn't effect the performance of anything. I kind of doubt that the D300 stained that stuff, probably more likely a red or orange towel you hadn't washed before. I can't tell you the times I've tinted a whole load with that one new towel.

Ok, good.

I had NEVER washed any MF pads before in the washing machine but figured I'd go for it since the Meguiars MF cutting pads are supposed to be washing machine friendly. I did have a few different color MF towels in the load, but everything had been washed together with no problems. I was so mad about it, I thought I ruined my surbufs!

I still think it might've been the D300. Either way, I'm happy that these pads are still safe to use. Im the MAN

TimmyG
04-14-2012, 09:37 AM
I would not wash the surbuf pads with your MF towels. Those fingers on the surbuf pads get trapped in the loops of the MF.
Lesson learned for sure. I only washed two of them in there, thankfully. The surbufs are quickly becoming a "go-to" pad for me in many instances. Sure, they need some clean up after compounding, but damn do they cut nice and quick! I thought they outperformed the Meguiars MF cutting discs hands down.

VISITOR
04-14-2012, 12:31 PM
i don't machine wash surbufs, but rather massage the compound out under running water after it's been pre-soaked with a little APC...