PDA

View Full Version : Gray pad falling apart

Bingus
05-13-2006, 12:51 AM
Newbie needs help please.
Using a PC 7424 with the grey pad supplied in the kit to apply Poor Boys EX-P Pure Sealant I found that the velco is smaller than the velcro on the rest of the pads. (Yellow, Orange, White) I assume this is for easyier buffing and application of sealant or wax. Should it be smaller or should I make sure to get pads that the velcro covers the entire back?
Anyway my problems is that the first time I used this pad It is torn arrond where the velcro ends and the pad starts. I must admit that this pad was loaded and I tried to spin out some product when I was done and I think that is when it happened. Maybe I answered my own question, or maybe I was being just a little to tough using it. Sometimes I lack finess. but should this pad handled spin drying?
One more ? It seems impossible to get sealant out of pad. What is the correct proceedure? Sealant sure didn't like being put in water. LOL
Thanks for any help, Bingus

joe.p
05-13-2006, 01:07 AM
What speed was the pc on ?

Bingus
05-13-2006, 01:10 AM
Hey Joe I was applying very slow between 2-3
As I mentioned I tried to clean the pad and ran it it up to 8.

ScottB
05-13-2006, 07:11 AM
Since the pad is torn and saturated with sealer, its probably time to replace it. If you really want to use it again, get some DP Pad Cleaner or some isoporoyl alcohol. Both will quickly remove any sealant from the pad. Personally I only use the PC for polishing (grey pad with Poorboys SSR 1.0 for j eweling the surface) and I protect by hand. Application and removal.

joe.p
05-13-2006, 10:01 AM
This is what i beleive could have happend. When you put the machine on high speed to to clean or dry the pad it caused the velcro and pad to fail.This will also cause the barrings in your PC to fail premature. I let my pads soak in a bucket of DP pad cleaner, or APC then rinse them in warm water .I then place the pad between a towel and squeeze out the excess water and then let the pad dry on its own.You could toss the pads in the dryer on low heat. I found this pad chart to help you with the pads.

http://www.dano.pocketrubbish.com/detailing/productchart.htm

Bingus
05-13-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks, killrwheels, After this experience I think I will take the time to do sealant by hand. Get all the nooks and cranny's. Like (sensei) Mr. Miyagi taught ">sealant on-sealant off<" :)

joe p., thanks for telling me I was destroying my PC. I want to hang onto it forever. It did more work in one day than many of the tools I have owned for years.

Thanks guys for the cleaning tips also.

ScottB
05-14-2006, 06:23 AM
Just remember one hint to try and reduce potential swirls. Wax on and wax off (or sealant) but try to flow in straight lines (no circles) following the natural pattern of wind flowing over each panel.