PDA

View Full Version : Ready to order my 7424xp???

Pages : [1] 2

nissansp
04-13-2012, 07:19 PM
K so I'm about to order ... Should I go with a package or buy everything separate ?? I'm looking to remove swirls that plague my whole 2008 altima coupe red :buffing:

After removing swirls if u get any new scratches is it more likely it would go through the clear coat and straight to the paint..

Thanks everyone

swanicyouth
04-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Separate. You want 5.5" pads; unless they offer a package in that size, but you don't save a ton on a package, and the 5.5" LC Smart Pads are cheap. If you buy them separately, you can pick the pads you want. You only really need a few types of pads. Most cars in normal shape need orange pads for "compounding" and white for polishing. If your only doing your own car, I find it makes sense to buy more orange and white pads for buffing, then just apply your sealant or wax by hand. The more white and orange pads you have the better

AutowerxDetailing
04-13-2012, 08:02 PM
1st post to the forums. This place is awesome!

I got the package with 3 LC pads (orange, white, and black) that also included some Pinnacle XMT polish and wax. It made a HUGE difference on my truck and my wife's car. All the water spots are gone! I will need to get some heavier cut compound for some of the scratches but for the most part I am very happy with the package Autogeek put together with those pads/polish. I would definitely recommend it.

Porter Cable 7424 Car Buffer, 7424 Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/poca74pofcop.html)

LC2ner
04-13-2012, 08:24 PM
1st post to the forums. This place is awesome!

I got the package with 3 LC pads (orange, white, and black) that also included some Pinnacle XMT polish and wax. It made a HUGE difference on my truck and my wife's car. All the water spots are gone! I will need to get some heavier cut compound for some of the scratches but for the most part I am very happy with the package Autogeek put together with those pads/polish. I would definitely recommend it.

Porter Cable 7424 Car Buffer, 7424 Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/poca74pofcop.html)

That's the one I just got too. Thrilled to death with it. Great value too!

mleun481
04-13-2012, 08:26 PM
I got the Meguiar's PC ultra polish kit with 5.5 inch pads. It comes with M#105 / #205 as I have some bird poop residue to remove. It just got delivered today so I haven't tried using it yet but can't wait.

Meguiars Porter Cable Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads, Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Polishing Kit, Meguiars polishes, Porter Cable 7424 Mirror Glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-meguiars-kit.html)

nissansp
04-13-2012, 08:47 PM
I got the Meguiar's PC ultra polish kit with 5.5 inch pads. It comes with M#105 / #205 as I have some bird poop residue to remove. It just got delivered today so I haven't tried using it yet but can't wait.

Meguiars Porter Cable Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads, Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Polishing Kit, Meguiars polishes, Porter Cable 7424 Mirror Glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-meguiars-kit.html)

I'm going to assume I will nEed to use m105 for my car let me know ow it works for you

nissansp
04-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Orange ans white ok!! Gotcha

Kristopher1129
04-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Get the Griots! Lifetime warranty, and it's a MUCH more powerful machine. Just my two cents. My PC is a wax/sealant spreader...and that's it.

shoeless89
04-14-2012, 12:06 AM
I've been running my PC 7424XP hard for 2 years and not any problems at all! I love it. I bought it as part of a package but if I did it again I would make my own package. Get 5.5" LC Flat pads. The best all around pad IMO. If you new I would get the Wolfgang twins. Very easy to work with.

nissansp
04-14-2012, 05:07 AM
I've been running my PC 7424XP hard for 2 years and not any problems at all! I love it. I bought it as part of a package but if I did it again I would make my own package. Get 5.5" LC Flat pads. The best all around pad IMO. If you new I would get the Wolfgang twins. Very easy to work with.

How would Wolfgang twins world on moderate swirls and if I use that now while learning would I be able to use a different product in the future or would I loose to much clear coat?

Bunky
04-14-2012, 05:52 AM
How would Wolfgang twins world on moderate swirls and if I use that now while learning would I be able to use a different product in the future or would I loose to much clear coat?

For most people, you need 3 types of pads: compounding (like LC orange), polishing (LC white), and finishing (LC white). It is best to get the polisher and pads separate unless really need the other products in the kit. Pad conditioners, etc. are not essential. You need to get at least 3 of each of the compounding and polishing pads.

WG TSR may or not get the swirls out on first pass but require additional passes. The variables are paint hardness and your definition of "moderate"). You need to do a test spot to really know. To get the maximum effect, you need to use good polishing techniques (arm speed, machine speed, pressure, clean pads, etc) .

If you do get the twins, you can try them and not working get Meg's Ultimate Compound (similar consumer version of M105 available at many parts stores) to get increased cutting.

BobbyG
04-14-2012, 06:28 AM
For most people, you need 3 types of pads: compounding (like LC orange), polishing (LC white), and finishing (LC white). It is best to get the polisher and pads separate unless really need the other products in the kit. Pad conditioners, etc. are not essential. You need to get at least 3 of each of the compounding and polishing pads.

WG TSR may or not get the swirls out on first pass but require additional passes. The variables are paint hardness and your definition of "moderate"). You need to do a test spot to really know. To get the maximum effect, you need to use good polishing techniques (arm speed, machine speed, pressure, clean pads, etc) .

If you do get the twins, you can try them and not working get Meg's Ultimate Compound (similar consumer version of M105 available at many parts stores) to get increased cutting.

:iagree: Al's given you some great advise....

nissansp
04-14-2012, 02:02 PM
thanks so much!!! okie im ordering seperate.. what pads should i order these 5.5 inch buffing pads pack the same CCS technology and performance into a compact...these look like they have dimples or the flat 6.5?? same for the orange and white??

nissansp
04-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Im going to have to take take back what i said before the swirls i have are really bad i just noticed them in 9pm ligbting o man you cant miss them its like they were painted on even on the spoiler :buffing: thats guna be me till 2017

jminrod
04-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Hope I am not high jacking this thread, but was just about to post a very similar question however I am about 4 days late and $400 short. Any way I ordered the package below as well as the Wolfgang product below are the links.

Starter Kit
Porter Cable 7424 Complete Starter Kit, Porter Cable 7424 buffer, Porter Cable power tools (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424-kit.html)

What I thought was swirl remover
Wolfgang Pre-Wax Polish Enhancer is absolutely fabulous for producing that elusive, show-ready wet-shine look. This polish actually enhances and (http://www.autogeek.net/wg2000.html)

After reading this thread I realized I do not have any orange pads in the Kit. I appears I do have a lot of useless pads for adding wax or sealants. The reason I say useless is I forgot to order tape so while ordering tape I ordered Opticote sealant, which recommends hand application only.
After watching youtube videos for about two weeks and being on the forum for a couple days I got the itch to get started. I feel a little slighted by the recommendations I received from autogeek.

Here are the main questions
1.) It looks like I bought "Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer" which doesn't seem to really be a polish or compound. What should I buy as far as a polish??

2.) The starter kit doesn't come with orange pads which means I will have to work three times harder to get the same outcome?? The questions is the 4 inch comes with 4 orange pads but the 6.5" doesn't. I am also seeing that I really should have only bought 5" pads. I have some scratches from a bout with the foam brush at the local car wash that are on the roof and the hood so I am assuming that I will need orange pads. If that is true how many to do an small suv sized vehicle?? I do not have a pad cleaner. I have watched the video on the terry cloth towel clean on the fly option but wasn't sure how quick that will work.

3.) I am still confused by all of the info for cleaning a car before the opticote. I have seen the 15% IPA option or since I have the "Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer" will that do the same job?

4.) Since of my time restraints is it safe to wash the car and clay it, then put it in the garage and do the polishing the following day?

Since I forgot the tape and placed my second order and ended up spending $100 more. I am looking to place my third order sometime this week for pads and maybe polish, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Any other things that you think I may need, since I forgot the tape that would have been bad thing to get started without having. My polisher kit looks like it will be here this tuesday 4.17.12. I would like to be able to order the polish and pads and have them before the weekend.