PDA

View Full Version : Business Help??

Pages : [1] 2

SheldonH
04-12-2012, 09:47 PM
I have recently started a small detailing business for some extra money. I have been detailing my car for years. However, when detailing my car i love using polishes,high end wax, etc. I would love to be detailing high end cars and have the customers that would understand the process and work and would pay for it. However, i am in an area where that is not going to happen and my customer base is daily driven cars, trucks, SUVs.
Right now this is my idea of pricing and cleaning packages.

Cars-$40
SUV's, Trucks, Vans-$50
This includes wash,wheel and tire cleaning, interior cleaning,carpet shampooing,and a simple cleaner wax)

And a
Cars-$100
SUV's, Trucks, Vans-$150
(This includes all above and a clay bar, polish to remove scratches swirls, sealeant, and high quality wax)

Any suggestions, or any tips etc are appreciated. This is my first time doing this for money and actual customers. So any help is appreciated.

Jacob Perry
04-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Waaaay too cheap

Vegas Transplant
04-12-2012, 10:02 PM
American ingenuity at its best. I hope that you have researched your market well. Best of luck hand!
May I inquire your county and state?

Agfan
04-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Waaaay too cheap

No it isn't. He doesn't have reputation yet. Or any customers. If he wants to make this into steady work he should do those cheaper prices and work his way up. Love how everyone says those prices are rediculous but when they have 5-6 cars every two weeks and your stuck with one because your over charging... Who is doing better business in the end?

DetailElite
04-12-2012, 10:30 PM
No it isn't. He doesn't have reputation yet. Or any customers. If he wants to make this into steady work he should do those cheaper prices and work his way up. Love how everyone says those prices are rediculous but when they have 5-6 cars every two weeks and your stuck with one because your over charging... Who is doing better business in the end?

It's too cheap if he has a "legit" business, with licenses and insurance. And him wanting to clay, polish, remove swirls, apply a sealant and a wax, definitely too cheap. Don't sell yourself short man. Like many others have said in previous threads, if you want to do quality work and be known for that, set your prices high and then work your way down if you need to. If you get out there and grind you can find people who are willing to pay for top notch work, just takes time!

Agfan
04-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Waaaay too cheap

It's too cheap if he has a "legit" business, with licenses and insurance. And him wanting to clay, polish, remove swirls, apply a sealant and a wax, definitely too cheap. Don't sell yourself short man. Like many others have said in previous threads, if you want to do quality work and be known for that, set your prices high and then work your way down if you need to. If you get out there and grind you can find people who are willing to pay for top notch work, just takes time!
That's funny it worked for me and I now have 10-15 cars a week at my shop and have a very good name for myself. I had to start out cheap to get people to come and see what I can do. It took 4 years it went from 2-3 cars a week by myself making $125 for a complete detail and now I have 3 guys working with me and charging $240 a car. Not to mention we keep getting more and more new customers. I'm sure your way may work but it will take a lot longer to get success.
Either way dedication and effort is extremely important no matter what your prices are.

Cosmin
04-13-2012, 12:41 AM
don`t start cheap !
put value on your work , time and knowledge ,
period!

Rav777
04-13-2012, 02:06 AM
I agree with Cosmin. Charge what your time is worth and don't start with super cheap prices. When the time comes and you want to raise your prices (because you are growing) it might bite you in the arse and you might lose some clients.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

tuscarora dave
04-13-2012, 04:27 AM
Those prices will be OK to get some needed practice but as soon as he gets good at what he does and wants to bring his prices up to make it worthwhile, he'll likely lose all those customers. Either way if he has the drive and desire to succeed, it is possible. I personally would raise the prices right from the start. You can always give discounts and specials but to double your prices later will drive your customer base away.

SheldonH
04-13-2012, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it alot. A few answers to the questions I am from USA and Tennessee and I know I am cheap but I still have people complain. However, I did my first detail yesterday which cost 150 and the guy was so happy he gave me 250. But I would love like a suggestion of prices and packages from you especially if you have a business. Also keep in mind I am mostly dealing with family cars and daily drivers, the nicest I would detail would be a Cadillac. Thanks again

ScubaCougr
04-13-2012, 09:12 AM
. But I would love like a suggestion of prices and packages from you especially if you have a business.

Look at what other full-time detailers around you are charging, then set your price at 75% or so of that starting out. Value customers doing research will try you, and then it's all the job you do and reputation you build.

Keep good track of your time and quantity of materials used on each job. Then after about a dozen you can check to see if you're actually making enough money to succeed and pay the bills long term.

TRILLIS
04-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Those prices will be OK to get some needed practice but as soon as he gets good at what he does and wants to bring his prices up to make it worthwhile, he'll likely lose all those customers. Either way if he has the drive and desire to succeed, it is possible. I personally would raise the prices right from the start. You can always give discounts and specials but to double your prices later will drive your customer base away.

Agree with this;
Fell into this trap myself first up, then had to raise my prices Substantially after 6 months, so i lost some customers but gained more than I lost, so it worked out ok in the end but your starting price is important to RETAIN customers not just to obtain them.As an example; i had 2 potential customers knock back my original quotes on 2 cars because of price (held my ground not easy to do at the start) but now all up i detail 5 of their cars on a regular basis.So i agree as suggested charge what your worth from day 1.
Provide a quality service and I know from experience and from what many have said on this forum, that if you treat each car as if it is your own and if you provide that quality of service you will not have to advertise, your customers will come to you (word of mouth). I have offered a 7 day work guarantee for the last 3 years and haven't had to deliver on that once.This keeps ME on my toes and let's my customers know I care. IMO
Aussie $ = USA $
Wash/Vac/Windows/Door jambs/tyres
S=$48
M=$55
L=$70
Above + clay and wax only (swirls & squirrels)=x2+40
S=$136
M=$150
L=$180
And when you get to the point when someone calls and you can't fit them in and you pluck a ridiculous price from somewhere in the back of your brain and they accept, you will think F$$$ I'VE MADE
#1 Quality not Quantity =$$$
Hoping any of this helps.
CHEERS.

Vegas Transplant
04-13-2012, 07:09 PM
The reason that I inquired of your state/county was too gage the economy of said area. Alas, to no avail. Some of the best auto reconditioners I've ever come across work out of West Tenn. A group of hands from Corinth Miss. stacking crazy loot and doing complete recon in Hardeman county. These hands were taking Katrina cars and working magic in Memphis and all over the southeast...to the detriment of consumers.

Good luck on your new calling hand.

rustytruck
04-13-2012, 08:03 PM
It's important to understand your immediate marketplace. Use the advice your hearing as "some ideas" and not as set in stone solid business advice. I know of a company that is in your area and sells detailing Services thru group on for ridiculously low prices. Offer a good service for a fair price and always exceed your customers expectations and you will be fine.

AutowerxDetailing
04-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Congrats on the new business!

I don't think it's a problem if you are trying to quickly build a client base to offer discount prices when you are starting out. My only suggestion would be to price out your detail packages at "normal" (higher priced) market rates and "discount" them as an introductory offer. This way clients you service now will not be upset later when they come back for another detail after your have raised your prices.