PDA

View Full Version : wax or sealant

s500
04-12-2012, 09:23 PM
i have a porter cable 7424xp and wanted to know if i should get wax or a sealant and if so which kind do you recommend. should i apply by hand or machine.thanks

Danube
04-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Apply with 7424.
Collinite's 845 all the way.

KenR
04-13-2012, 12:02 AM
A sealant topped with a wax can be quite a combination to make your car really shine. I have used Collinite 845 over menzerna sealant and am pleased with the results. I'm sure any good carnauba over a sealant would provide excellent results when applied with a DA.

feds27
04-13-2012, 08:55 AM
FYI, There's a misconception on this forum that Collinite is a carnauba wax and it is often touted as the longest lasting carnauba. The truth is Collinite 845 is a sealant/wax hybrid like Meguiar's Hi-Tech #26. My guess (based on it's durability) is that it is more of a sealant than carnauba. Autogeek has 845 listed under its sealants section. I'm not sure why they list 476s and 915 under carnaubas. Just thought I'd mention this since every carnauba durability thread always mentions Collinite as longest lasting carnauba.

From the Collinite FAQ:

2. What’s the difference between the auto waxes; No. 845 Insulator Wax, No. 476s Super Double Coat and the No. 915 Marque D’ Elegance?

All 3 last step waxes serve the same function: to provide a high gloss carnauba shine and lasting protection. All 3 contain copious amounts of wax-both rare Brazilian carnauba and premium synthetic polymers. However, their degree of durability, ease of use, and warmth of shine vary. Think of it this way;

1. No.476s – most durable protection/weather defense. Most elbow grease required during application.

2. No. 915- 2nd most durable and slightly easier than the 476s to apply/remove. No. 915 lends our warmest shine to dark tones like navy and black due to its highest concentration of rare carnauba.

3. No. 845- easiest of the 3 to apply/remove with slightly less durability than the No. 915.

BobbyG
04-13-2012, 08:59 AM
i have a porter cable 7424xp and wanted to know if i should get wax or a sealant and if so which kind do you recommend. should i apply by hand or machine.thanks

Take a look at your other post, I've put quite a bit of information there.....:props: