PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning/protecting plastic chrome

dbark
04-12-2012, 08:31 PM
My wife's new Ford Edge has a lot of chromed plastic on the front end as well as chrome clad wheels (basically plastic chrome over an aluminium wheel). Any special care required for these or can I use the same products I'll use on the paint (Pinnacle Cleansing lotion and Collinite 845)?

Thanks

mswerb
04-12-2012, 08:50 PM
I have a 2007 Chevy Equinox with the "plastic chrome" on the front end as well. (not as much as yours) I find that any good glass cleaner works well and makes cleaning a bit easier the next time.

A-train
04-12-2012, 08:54 PM
You will be fine with those products. Always nice to follow up with a layer of protection. I prefer klasse AIO.

duck_commander
04-12-2012, 10:14 PM
dbark - i also found using a good spray wax on the chrome and fake chrome everytime i use it on the paint works good too. Just take a look at my avitar, and you'll know how much of a headache i have too :)

BillE
04-13-2012, 06:45 AM
I too am blessed with a boat (really, truck load) load of 'plastic chrome', I've found using a GENTLE AIO does a fine job.

For me, Meg's Cleaner/Wax. The maroon bottle.

Bill

SilverRebel
04-15-2012, 08:57 AM
From the AG detailing how to clean and polish chrome wheels.

*Note: Plastic chrome wheels or plastic chrome trim is not real chrome! The same rules do not apply. Plastic with a chrome finish should be treated like plastic, not metal.

duck_commander
04-15-2012, 11:58 AM
SilverRebel - you are probably right... but i found with the fake plastic chrome and the real chrome on my Ford truck, i have to use Meguiars Hot Rims Mag & Aluminum Polish to brighten it up, and then i apply what ever sealant or wax i use when detailing my paint. I've found if i don't do this, the fake chrome and real chrome will get little orange rust looking spots after a long winter. Again, i've found that is what works best for me.

Bunky
04-15-2012, 12:16 PM
I too am blessed with a boat (really, truck load) load of 'plastic chrome', I've found using a GENTLE AIO does a fine job.

For me, Meg's Cleaner/Wax. The maroon bottle.

Bill

I typically use Mothers cleaner/wax - it used to come with the clay kit so had a few of the 4oz bottles.

BillE
04-16-2012, 07:33 AM
I typically use Mothers cleaner/wax - it used to come with the clay kit so had a few of the 4oz bottles.

I remember those...that is/was a pretty nice AIO also. I gave a lot of them away to friends that were 'starting out.' Like it means a lot...but really had a nice aroma.

Bill

alko
04-16-2012, 08:01 AM
To add to the OP's question, can you clay the chrome plastic?

BillE
04-17-2012, 07:23 AM
To add to the OP's question, can you clay the chrome plastic?

Gentle clay works well, the phony chrome does scratch easily.

Bill

SupraBrian
10-05-2014, 01:40 PM
Can the scratches be taken out?

Mizzoutiger
10-05-2014, 03:40 PM
You will be fine with those products. Always nice to follow up with a layer of protection. I prefer klasse AIO.

:iagree:
Klasse AIO on "everything is awesome" Im the MAN

expdetailing
10-05-2014, 03:50 PM
From experience, I know 0000 steel wool combined with a wax, sealant, or AIO works well.