PDA

View Full Version : Using microfiber bonnets

Boudin
04-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Whats the consensus on using microfiber bonnets on a DA to remove waxes and polishes. I dont see much talk or videos on it. Is it not recommended? Seems it would make life easier...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

embolism
04-12-2012, 11:27 AM
it's easier to use MF cloths folded over twice so you have 8 clean sides to wipe actually.

Once the bonnet cakes up, it becomes ineffective at removal.

Bet I can flip to a fresh section of a mf towel faster than you can grab another MF bonnet and put it on a DA...

DaC
04-12-2012, 12:00 PM
It all depends on how thick is the stuff you're removing... When I remove WDGPS I need only 2 bonnets to remove it from the entire car... because being able to apply it with a machine, makes it pretty thin and so easy to wipe off....

A collinite #885 on the other hand is tougher to remove, never tried to with a bonnet, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bonnets get caked too fast...

Boudin
04-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Thats a good point but if thats the only reason then im willing to take the extra time. I have arthritis and degenerative disc disease so any thing that saves some strain on the back is a plus for me.

DaC
04-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Well... besides it being a small surface that tends to cake faster, I really don't think there is any other downside... at least not that I can think of...

timaishu
04-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Too much of a hassle imo. Pull out GG, plug it in, bonnet, bonnet off, unplug put away.

Or I could just grab a towel. Once thats caked up grab another. I feel a towel would be much faster and more convenient.

Rsurfer
04-12-2012, 01:52 PM
I feel your pain. By all means use the bonnets .. you can turn it inside out to get another clean section.
Thats a good point but if thats the only reason then im willing to take the extra time. I have arthritis and degenerative disc disease so any thing that saves some strain on the back is a plus for me.

Vegas Transplant
04-12-2012, 07:12 PM
I have them. Used 1 once. The rest are in the bottom of the MF bin. Sounded like a good idea at the time.
I think that they were purchased in order to fulfill min. purchase after discount so as to apply savings and or free shipping.:)

killrflake
04-12-2012, 09:34 PM
I used them years ago and gave them up after discovering great quality MF towels. Most waxes and sealents go on very thin if used properly, and are easily removed with a MF towel. I just don't see the need, but that's just my choice. Whatever floats your boat.

twisted1
04-15-2012, 10:39 AM
I use them religiously.

swanicyouth
04-15-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm afraid to use one, because it just seems like it could mar / scratch too easily. However, I also don't use my DA to apply my LSP, as it seems like it wouldn't save to much time and I would have another pad to clean. It seems like it would work good horizontal surfaces like the hood, trunk, and roof.