PDA

View Full Version : nano "lotus effect"

glassteem
04-12-2012, 07:50 AM
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWSNM9awB3w]????????? ??? ????. ???? ?????????. ?????????????. - YouTube[/video]

Klasse Act
04-12-2012, 08:01 AM
Maybe after using it your car is light on its feet and handles better, LOL!

Vegas Transplant
04-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Q?
I observed an Expedition on Cental Ave. that really caught my attention. The finish on the vehicle seem to float above the surface of the vehicle. The depth, glow, and radiance of the finish was beyond description. It seemed as though the SUV had an aura about it.

So, my question is...Is this what's meant by the Lous Effect? Or am I incorrectly applying the term?

Vegas Transplant
04-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Typo: Is this what's meant by the Lotus Effect?

FUNX650
04-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Mistype: Is this what's meant by the Lotus Effect?

Hi VT

Referrence to the Lotus plant, and its "water-shedding characteristics" is my understanding.

:)

Bob

Vegas Transplant
04-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Thank you. I've been misusing the term. I thought it meant the perceived notion of the LSP floating above the surface.

umi000
04-12-2012, 09:26 AM
The lotus effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Lotus_effect) refers to superhydrophobicity, which you can observe in the leaves of the lotus plant.

FUNX650
04-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Thank you. I've been misusing the term. I thought it meant the perceived notion of the LSP floating above the surface.

You're welcome, VT.

Although prestidigitators, such as David Blaine, make claims to possess the "power of levitation"...I would think, (when it comes to observing an illusion, as if an LSP is floating above a surface), that the Archimedes Principle would be one way to define/categorize this descriptive quality.

:)

Bob

HellDemon
04-12-2012, 12:38 PM
It's not simply super hydrophobicity though. While it does employ a contact angle greater than 150 degrees between that and water (that is the defining characteristic separating hydrophobic and super hydrophobic), what it's meant though is that it's also self cleaning as well; but that is just an extension due to its super hydrophobic properties.

The lotus employs nano-scale hair-like tubes, which gives it its roughened microscale surface. Although the waxy cuticle of the leaf itself is not super hydrophobic, the nano structure is what enables it to be super hydrophobic. This surface is also not charged as well, giving no adhering properties to the dirt or dust that may fall on it. So by decreasing the adhesive forces of water to the surface and making it so that water literally just slides off the second the leaf is tilted even abit, it is able to self clean in the sense that water's natural attraction and ability to encapsulate dirt/dust given its extremely polar (hydrogen bonding) nature make it good at capturing dirt, and by simply when rain befalls it, it agitates the leaf, making it tilt one way or another, allowing the encapsulated dirt-water particle to simply slide off.

Sorry if it got abit too detailed; did quite abit of research on these last year haha. Although the salvinia molesta is what caught my attention for one of my paper's this year (it's nano-scale hairs are hydrophobic at the root and shaft of the hair, but at the tips, its hydrophilic, so it actually is able to create a layer of air on its surface and can survive for a really long time if it becomes submerged).

Man I'm such a dork... Haha