PDA

View Full Version : cleaner wax on gel coat????

Bigpat
04-11-2012, 08:05 PM
would megs cleaner wax clean up some light oxidation on gel coat or is it a waste of money? My brother has a camper he is looking to clean up its only 2 years old but has some light oxidation, is it pointless or could it help no pics because im nowhere near the camper but just looking for theoretical .... im guessing it wont help because ive read compounds and wool pads but thought i would ask. Thanks for your help

KKYS
04-18-2012, 01:01 AM
I wish I had a striaght up answer for , but I don't.
I'm not familar with megs cleaner wax.
But most cleaner waxes w/abrasives won't cure 2 yrs of neglect
on gelcoat.

Meticulous-Detail
04-18-2012, 03:49 AM
I have two friends at work that have boats and they swear by Megs Cleaner Wax and Collonite, but they are old school guys. Tell him to try a test spot and see how it works.

Duragloss 501 would probably be a better choice for paint cleaning and protection.

BillE
04-18-2012, 07:24 AM
IF you have it on hand, of course give it a go. But, if you need to purchase a product, look at Megs Marine Line. Their Cleaner/Wax is, M-50.

One thing to remember, gel-coat is a lot harder than paint. Meaning, what 'power' would work on a painted surface probably won't have enough 'umph' on the gel-coat.

Does that make sense (can't seem to get the mind in gear this morning)?

Bill

Mike Phillips
04-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Marine products tend to be more aggressive than automotive products.

I've used the M50, both liquid and paste with excellent results on oxidized surfaces. Liquids tend to be a better choice because you want your product wet when removing oxidation. Pastes lack the wetness of a liquid.

If you get the liquid, be sure to shake well before use.

:)

twisted1
04-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Be prepared to go through a lot of pads, product, and product removal cloths.
Oxidation will gum up pads quickly.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/37279-tip-working-waxes-paint-sealants-coatings-new-you.html

Test spot is definitely required. Will show what you're faced with, not in the sense of correction , but product buildup and effort required to remove.

ynkssws6
04-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Would I be better off using a sealant? I have some colllonite left over from the previous owner (waverunner). Thanks.

Vegas Transplant
04-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Gotta get the oxidation off first hand.

Gurge
04-23-2012, 10:38 AM
the boat is only 2 years old. that is not that much really. shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of a cleaner wax

However, I'ver tried over the counter megs cleaner wax #6 and was not all that impressed while using it on boats

My current number one choice for an AIO when doing marine work is XMT360. Recommended for gelcoat, works well, has some minor abrasives to help, rotary or DA friendly, does not need time to haze, has not damaged any vinyl decals in my experience.

With the makita, xmt360, and 3m white compounding pads you'd be surprised how fast you could do a hull :-)

I don't kill a ton of pads either. I spur the pad with a toothbrush every few sections and occasionally clean on the fly with a towel. Prefer the 3m double sided pads in case it does get oversaturated

If doing small areas by hand I like the 3m marine restore & wax (since its a bit aggressive for a cleaner wax it does the job quickly by hand)

-z yaaaa-
04-26-2012, 03:35 PM
i used mother's cali gold cleaner wax on my VIS carbon fiber hood (gel coat) for 4 years. always made it look flawless. it never oxidized nor dulled like most carbon fiber items do because of the sun. i believe the religous waxing i did on it was the main reason for this.

KKYS
05-11-2012, 03:32 PM
I've used the M50,

:)

"Meguiar’s #50 Marine/RV Cleaner Wax is a one-step cleaner and protectant for the gel coat that will cut down your maintenance time so you can spend more time where you really want to be – on the water!"

2 years of neglect isn't miantenance. Wrong product for this thread.

I'll try it , but not for the reasons of the original posters situation.

KKYS
05-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Since there is not a mechanical or mathematical way to measure the
degree of oxidized resin/polyesters/pigments in gelcoats.
A good "kiss" rule method of mesurement for a marine detailer is :
If you can see oxidation with your naked eye on gelcoat, don't
grab your AIO, no matter what the manufacture claims.

You will save yourself a callback.

Aio's have there place in the gelcoat world , but not visual oxidation.