PDA

View Full Version : Tar From Hell

Biff Webster
04-11-2012, 02:06 PM
I have some tar on my lower rear fender that has dried and can't for the life of me figure out how to get it off. I have used a Tar Remover from Autozone, tried claying it, and DP Cleanse-All, but it hasn't done a thing.

Any advice on what to use to get rid of this would be greatly appreciated.

mleun481
04-11-2012, 02:25 PM
I'm sure others will chime in but maybe Tar-X or steam clean it?

Maybe check out this thread, which may be similar to your situation:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/47292-what-do-you-see-splattered-all-along-bottom-car.html

Biff Webster
04-11-2012, 02:29 PM
I tried steam by itself. I will try tar-x and steam.

A-train
04-11-2012, 02:30 PM
After the least aggressive methods have failed me, I'll use WD-40 and a plastic razor blade.

Mazda.Mark
04-11-2012, 02:35 PM
stoners tarminator?

goo gone?

Biff Webster
04-11-2012, 02:36 PM
I wasn't sure if goo gone would damage the paint at all.

Mazda.Mark
04-11-2012, 02:40 PM
I've used it many times. Follow with wash and its all good.

Put on MF and rub if you want to work a certain area.

I have used a mild polish afterwards in case there was any marring left over.

But, works if you don't mind busting out the polisher, I love to get mine out as much as I can!

DdeRonde
04-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Put some hand lotion, specifically Avons Skin So Soft, on the tar and leave it on overnight. The next morning it should come off with little or no problems.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AG Online

Dr Oldz
04-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Put some hand lotion, specifically Avons Skin So Soft, on the tar and leave it on overnight. The next morning it should come off with little or no problems.

Interesting... Makes me wonder how safe this is for you skin or will your skin come off with little or no problems the next morning too?

Biff Webster
04-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Interesting... Makes me wonder how safe this is for you skin or will your skin come off with little or no problems the next morning too?
No kidding, what is in the lotion that acts as a tar remover?

Hoytman
04-11-2012, 04:26 PM

:nomore:

For years I've heard that product will also keep the mosquito's at bay. I've known dozens of people who have actually used it in this mannor, actually watched them apply it. I've never known it to work for any of them, yet they keep repeating that same ol' rubbish that it works. My dad and I both tried it in hopes to repell mosquito's. Do you have any idea how vorarcious those things are around the Great Lakes Region? True story.

The moral of the story:

If you're going to give this sort of information then please produce some sort of video of it in action as evidence that it does what you are claiming. Otherwise, at least to me, it's simply plain ol' rubbish.:nomore: I hope you can understand why I feel this way. Have you ever been carried 8 miles offshore into the middle of Lake Erie by mosquito's? I have.:laughing:

DdeRonde
04-11-2012, 11:46 PM
The oils in the hand lotion soften the tar and make it easily removable.

As far as the mosquitoes, I never heard of that one. Besides, putting lotion on tar that you have on your car seems a lot less painful then hoping it works against mosquitoes while your in the middle of one of the great lakes. This worked for me and I was just trying help another member out. If I offended anyone, I apologize.