PDA

View Full Version : CCS vs Flat Pads

RChicago
04-11-2012, 10:11 AM
I have been reading online that there is a difference between the CCS pads and the hydrotech flat pads. Can anyone shed some light on whether or not my CCS pads are crap or what?

Tom Feed back please

The Pad Man
04-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Whats wrong with them?

RChicago
04-11-2012, 10:30 AM
What I have been reading is that the flat pad provides more surface to work the produce and the CCS pads cake up in the dimple.

Then I just read Nicks "Good Stuff" about the Hybrid pad and makes me question both the CCS and the Hydro pad.... Argh

Tom

The Pad Man
04-11-2012, 10:35 AM
The flat do cover more surface area. The CCS runn a bit cooler and the product migrates to the dimples. The chemical caking up depends on the chemicals.

RChicago
04-11-2012, 10:38 AM
The flat do cover more surface area. The CCS runn a bit cooler and the product migrates to the dimples. The chemical caking up depends on the chemicals.

So the CCS are a bad pad? Am I taking this wrong?

Tom

bigdriver4u
04-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Without getting to complicated, the CCS pad is a " Closed Cell Structure" pad that STORES product in the little pockets. It's density design stops the product from soaking into the pad. This pad is designed to disburse product longer from the pockets.

Now flat pads generally handles heat well because they are less dense than the closed cell pad. Everything is good until they begin to soak up abit of product and then you deal with heat disbursement and loss of cutting power. What you do get with a flat pad is more surface area on the paint. You may see faster cutting but in my experience you change them with greater frequency.

Now if you like the cutting action of the flat pad, I would tell you to consider the new hybrid LC pads. They are dense like the CCS pad but keep product on the paint longer and cut faster than any pad I'ved used previously. For me, I clean my pad or change my pad after every panel, so I'm unsure of just how far you can take a single pad before cutting is degraded. But I can say that both the LC ccs and Hybird pads are good choices. It's really about how you plan to use them. Cut faster or work product longer.. You choice.

Happy Detailing
Superior Auto Salon
St. Augustine, Florida
Bryan Taylor

The Pad Man
04-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Without getting to complicated, the CCS pad is a " Closed Cell Structure" pad that STORES product in the little pockets. It's density design stops the product from soaking into the pad. This pad is designed to disburse product longer from the pockets.

Now flat pads generally handles heat well because they are less dense than the closed cell pad. Everything is good until they begin to soak up abit of product and then you deal with heat disbursement and loss of cutting power. What you do get with a flat pad is more surface area on the paint. You may see faster cutting but in my experience you change them with greater frequency.

Now if you like the cutting action of the flat pad, I would tell you to consider the new hybrid LC pads. They are dense like the CCS pad but keep product on the paint longer and cut faster than any pad I'ved used previously. For me, I clean my pad or change my pad after every panel, so I'm unsure of just how far you can take a single pad before cutting is degraded. But I can say that both the LC ccs and Hybird pads are good choices. It's really about how you plan to use them. Cut faster or work product longer.. You choice.

Happy Detailing
Superior Auto Salon
St. Augustine, Florida
Bryan Taylor

well said. There is no right or wrong style of pad. Its personal preferance.

embolism
04-11-2012, 11:51 AM
People also don't like CCS pads if they are using DAT polishes since the dimples collect polish and don't allow the abrasives to break down at the same rate so the finish is not as good as with a flat pad.

mwoolfso
04-11-2012, 12:50 PM
I agree personal preference is the main driver behind CCS vs. flat.

I mainly use CCS pads and overall with the Flex I don't "see" the additional work time inherent with the CCS pads. Overall, I probably gain relatively more time savings with the Flex compared to lost time due to the CCS pockets. Lastly, it is very rare indeed that I see the CCS pockets "collecting" product when I stop and check my work and the pad condition. Now my perspective is based on the fact my cars are less than 2 years old and I am sure I would use flat pads for older cars in dire need of deeper corrections.

VISITOR
04-11-2012, 12:54 PM
flat pads ftw...

steved
04-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Speaking as the voice of inexperience, I have CCS, Flat and Hybrid LC pads. My observation is the CCS and the Hybrid seem to be made to a higher quality standard than flat. The velcro seems to be a little better, they seem to be formed more precisely, and the foam seems more durable. I am using CCS, and I am not sure if the dimples holding product is a good thing or bad. It seems that sometimes just as your getting the product worked dry, a drop of fresh product works out and wets everything. That might be a benefit with some products not so much with others. The flat pads just seem to drink up the product, while the ccs seems to require a lot less. I haven't had a chance to use the hybrids, but my guess is I'll start switching to them in the future. As for the actual real world use of the three types, I haven't got enough experience to really say one is better than the other, just my observations so far.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Ive heard that the CCS dimples can hit and possibly mar the surface...

OhTwoGT
04-11-2012, 02:21 PM
I currently have the CCS pads and they cake up easily in my experience, although I only clean my pads on the fly and use maybe 3-4 pads on a car depending on the size. I really want to try the hybrid pads because from what ive seen and read, they cut faster and are much easier to work with than the CCS pads.

Ron Atchison
04-11-2012, 03:55 PM
I wonder if the larger Hybrid pad is going to be a problem for some DA users.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-11-2012, 04:03 PM
I wonder if the larger Hybrid pad is going to be a problem for some DA users.

Thats exactly why I didnt order them. I have been running the Meguiars 7inch softbuff pads for a while now and then then getting used to the Meguiars mf discs I cant go back to the big pads. I ordered the HT pads in 5.5x7/8 (Wafer size) but have yet to use them.