PDA

View Full Version : Tried the Opti-coat

Pages : [1] 2

mrsludge
04-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Purchased a new vehicle a couple of weeks ago and seeing that I live in a pretty harsh environment out in the CA desert, I decided to give Opti-coat 2.0 a try. Did a bunch of digging on this forum and the rest of the internet to convince myself and get my courage up! Turns out that it seems to have went pretty easy. First I will state ahead of time that I am not an experienced detailer, actually the complete opposite. Prior to this, I could keep my enthusiasm for keeping a new vehicle pretty for about 6 months before losing interest. In fact I don't think I've washed my truck in 2 years, it still has Wyoming mud on it from an archery elk hunt last September and Arizona mud from the year before. That being said, I hope to do better on this car. Then again, if I revert to my old ways, maybe the Opti-coat will help.

That being said here's what I did.

1. Sprayed the car off, foamed with Optimum Car Wash, rinsed, foamed again, two bucket washed, rinsed again.
2. Sprayed with Optimum Power Clean solution and agitated before rinse and dry with micro fibre towels.
3. Clayed the whole car with Detailers Pro clay and lube.
4. Sprayed again with Optimum Power Clean solution and agitated before final rinse and dry.
5. Applied Opti-coat 2.0.

I did not attempt any polishing as the paint seemed in pretty good shape to me. I tried multiple types of lights in the garage and different times of day outside to try and see swirls and just couldn't see any. This is the first silver car we have owned (called titanium grey by Hyundai) and if there are swirls, it masks them pretty well. I did look at other silver cars and could see swirls pretty easy so I figured it was good enough for me and wasn't worth attempting my first polish.
As for the application, it went pretty good after I got a feel for how much to put on the sponge applicator. Originally I did the "X" prime and then used a few drops per panel as stated on the syringe (a few to me being about 5 drops). I've seen people mention that they didn't like the syringe as a dispenser, but I thought it worked very well. I'm a slow learner some times so after doing this on one front quarter panel, the hood, and the roof, it became apparent that I just wasn't using enough product (it also explained why the sponge was "grabbing" so often). I then upped the drops to 15-20 for the same amount of area I had been covering for each dose. By doing this, the product went on a lot smoother and I could see the flash a lot easier. The few places it didn't flash fairly quickly where wiped down after about 15 seconds with a micro fibre towel to fix it. So after upping the drop count, I went back over the prior areas and ended up using about half of the product.
All in all, the process went smoother than I hoped. I haven't washed the car yet since the application so have yet to see how well it beads up but will post pics when I do. For those hesitant to try, take it from this novice, it wasn't that hard at all.

mrsludge
04-11-2012, 12:55 AM
A few pics.

BobbyG
04-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Thanks for posting the application methods you used and some great shots of your new Hyundai! The finish looks very glossy and Opti-Coat being a permanent coating should provide the finish with some long term protection...:props:

Thanks for posting!! :dblthumb2:

loudog2
04-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Looks good! Did you look for swirls after claying? Claying can and most of the time will produce marring. I do think OC looks best on silver and grey/graphite. Not a big fan of it on Black at all. IMO

Danube
04-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Thanks for posting, Opti-coat 2.0 will be on my next order.

mrsludge
04-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Yes I checked for swirls after claying. I couldn't see any, but I will admit that this color along with the heavy flakes is very hard to see swirls. I looked at it multiple ways and couldn't see any so decided it was good enough for me. I'll post some more pics when I do my first post application wash. Thanks for looking.

Rsurfer
04-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Why not on black Lou?

Looks good! Did you look for swirls after claying? Claying can and most of the time will produce marring. I do think OC looks best on silver and grey/graphite. Not a big fan of it on Black at all. IMO

Hoytman
04-11-2012, 04:39 PM
mrsluge,
I certainly appreciate your honesty, as it's hard to come by these days.

Going to go against the grain here just a bit.

I've sort of gotten the detailing bug since joining here, but if I hadn't and I were still of the mentality of mrsludge, a person who loses detailing interest quickly, I would not be afraid to apply OC even without checking for swirls because chances are the coating itself will get swirled up as well. Having swirls doesn't seem to affect how it repels dirt, at least on the surface of that thought. Now I will try and qualify this train of thought and in no particular order: (A swirl free surface is a smoother surface allowing for even less dirt and grime adhesion.)

1. I'd have to know for certain whether or not I'd be keeping this car until it rusted apart.

2. If I was certain that I'd keep the car until it was real old, which my family seems to do...and my only concern was help via OC 2.0 to help it repel dirt and grime, and having no concern for becoming a detailing guru or hobbyist.

3. If my only concern was additional dirt repellancy and I was looking for something that would making washing easier and wasn't worried about swirls.

That said, we all know I now would never do such a thing now that I've been bitten by the bug, and most likely anyone who joins this site wouldn't either.

VISITOR
04-11-2012, 05:06 PM
congrats on the purchase of the genesis sedan...

loudog2
04-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Why not on black Lou?
I put it on my wifes grapite toyota and my black toyota. It looks great on hers, but I really don't like the look on my black highlander. I even put it on my mom's white car and it looks good. I guess I prefer the look of fuzion, purple haze pro, souveran or RBOE over OC on black.

Rsurfer
04-11-2012, 08:51 PM
I have a customers car that I was planning on putting OC on and it happens to be black. I wanted OC because he does not take care of his cars and it's a DD parked outside 24/7.
I put it on my wifes grapite toyota and my black toyota. It looks great on hers, but I really don't like the look on my black highlander. I even put it on my mom's white car and it looks good. I guess I prefer the look of fuzion, purple haze pro, souveran or RBOE over OC on black.

loudog2
04-11-2012, 09:08 PM
I guess it looks more like a candy shell coating on black more than othe colors. If you know what I mean. Most likely your customer won't tell know the difference like we would.

crxman2010
04-11-2012, 09:21 PM
I have a customers car that I was planning on putting OC on and it happens to be black. I wanted OC because he does not take care of his cars and it's a DD parked outside 24/7.

If you check out my avatar and or my gallary, there is a non-metallic black (vivid black) harley that has been opti-coated.

mrsludge
04-11-2012, 09:58 PM
BigAl3,

Thanks. Purchased it for my wife. So far she loves it. Had a 2006 Sonata that did pretty good so decided to upgrade to the Genesis. Hope to add a 2013 Mustang GT or Boss next to it in the garage later this year. Then I'll really have a lot of washing to do.

Hoytman,
Personally I think you are spot on. Opticoat appears to be a great product for making regular washing easier. I just find myself so busy with other higher priority things that it usually is hard for me to keep a car perfect, especially now that we have to drive a couple of blocks on a desert dirt road. I'm hoping that the Opticoat followed by a Permanon spray down every few months will help me at least to keep the car fairly clean and looking good. I'll see how it works and try to post updates.

Rsurfer
04-11-2012, 11:29 PM
I know what you mean. We like that deep wet glow that only a nuba will give, but nothing wrong with a hard candy shine.
I guess it looks more like a candy shell coating on black more than othe colors. If you know what I mean. Most likely your customer won't tell know the difference like we would.