PDA

View Full Version : Bumper rough

snellvilleauto
04-10-2012, 08:56 PM
I did several passes w/ clay bar on my old 2005 G35 bumper and it is still rough to the touch. Do i need to wet sand it to make it smoother? TY

RhetoricMixes
04-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Was your clay filled with contaminants? Maybe you need a more aggressive clay.

snellvilleauto
04-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Was your clay filled with contaminants? Maybe you need a more aggressive clay.

The clay was a little dirty but i wouldn't say it's filled w/ contaminants. I'm not sure what grade was the one i used. Gotta check when i get home. I have a couple of different one sitting at home. One is Meg and the other is Griot. I'll try those first before hitting the sand paper then.

SRTSean
04-10-2012, 11:13 PM
As long as the clay continues picking up contaminants I would continue using it before resorting to wetsanding. If you're making passes with the clay and not seeing any further contaminants being pulled off the paint then it may be time to try another method.

snellvilleauto
04-11-2012, 12:08 AM
As long as the clay continues picking up contaminants I would continue using it before resorting to wetsanding. If you're making passes with the clay and not seeing any further contaminants being pulled off the paint then it may be time to try another method.

Thanks again. I made several passes. At first, it picks up a lot contaminants, but then it stops. I kept looking at the clay bar and it still yellow (no dirt). Maybe i can stop by Home depot to pick up some wet sanding paper. 2500 grits??

2old2change
04-11-2012, 06:10 AM
Does just the bumper feel rough or are more of the panels rough also ? Could be some type of over spray. Just thinking out loud. Some types of overspray aren't affected by clay hence the clay not getting dirty. Sometimes a more aggressive clay like Meguiars red clay (c2100) will do the trick. Worth trying before breaking out the sand paper.
Sanding is mostly used to remove paint imperfections such as scratches,orange peel etc. On these type of corrections one might start out with 1500 grit and work your way up to 2500 0r 3000. On overspray my thinking if clay or other chemical methods didn't succeed I would try the least aggressive such as a 3000 and lower only if necessary.

snellvilleauto
04-12-2012, 01:18 AM
Does just the bumper feel rough or are more of the panels rough also ? Could be some type of over spray. Just thinking out loud. Some types of overspray aren't affected by clay hence the clay not getting dirty. Sometimes a more aggressive clay like Meguiars red clay (c2100) will do the trick. Worth trying before breaking out the sand paper.
Sanding is mostly used to remove paint imperfections such as scratches,orange peel etc. On these type of corrections one might start out with 1500 grit and work your way up to 2500 0r 3000. On overspray my thinking if clay or other chemical methods didn't succeed I would try the least aggressive such as a 3000 and lower only if necessary.

Only the bumper is rough. It's not an overspray. I looked closely and there are a lot of pain chip due to rock and what not. I'll inspect it closer and decide what i'll do. ty