PDA

View Full Version : Car Pro Glass Polish Kit

swanicyouth
04-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Soon I will be polishing my windshield. I bought the Car Pro kit with cerium oxide. I also bought LC 5" glass polishing pads. I will using my old PC 7424. Basically, I'm now fairly decent at polishing paint with this machine. For a medium polish
I use a speed of 5.5 and go about an inch per second. But, I've never polished glass, so I have a few questions.
1. What's a good DA speed and arm speed?

2. Any tips?

3. How hard is to do this? Is it easy to mess up my glass?

TIA!

Mike Phillips
04-10-2012, 10:12 AM
What are you trying to do?

Remove topical defects like water spots and road film?

Remove below surface defects like pitting or scratches?

:)

shoeless89
04-10-2012, 10:29 AM
I'll be hard to remove below surface defects with a DA. It will remove stuff like water spots great though!

Edse30
04-10-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm in the same boat. I have a lot of pitting on my windshield and thought id try diamondite resurfacing cream but it looks to be discontinued so I was looking at this product. I'm interested to see what kind of feedback come up.

swanicyouth
04-10-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm trying to remove fine scratches in the path of the windshield wipers and generally just improve the clarity of the glass. When driving the vehicle at night and looking at a light through the windshield, the image tends to slightly distort in the pattern of the scratches. I'm trying to describe it the best I can, but it's not so bad that the truck is unsafe to drive.The water spots I was able to remove working by hand with Menzerna Intensive Polish and a microfiber towel damp with water. This actually worked really well on the water spots. It looks like the previous owner ran the wipers dry often on a dirty windshield. However, the truck is 11 years old, so it could just be wear and tear. I know a rotary would work best, but I have an old PC 7424. So far, with this machine, your (Milke's) videos, and AG products (Wolfgang and Optimum) I have been able to get excellent results on paint. I know the DA isn't optimal, but I can spend a lot of time polishing it. The kit also came with pads to work by hand. However. I'm afraid of over polishing it and messing up the glass. The vehicle is a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder if that helps. Is it easy to over polish glass and cause damage? Thanks

**** enjoyed the mini boot camp at Detail Fest!

Mobile detail
04-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Try it its not that bad bro. Especially with a da. Yes you could screw up your glass but its most likely not going to happen. I usually use cermiglass with a glass pad and rotary and it comes out good. It takes a bit to get used to this product.

What pad are you using? Remember if the glass gets warm/hot,DO NOT wet it down., you'll blow up the glass, and yes I have had this happen and yes I caused it lol.

Mike Phillips
04-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Give it a try with the DA but I've never had any luck actually removing scratches out of glass without using a rotary buffer.

I always recommend doing a test in an inconspicuous area before buffing right smack in dab of where the driver looks out the windshield. Better safe than sorry...

:)

SRTSean
04-10-2012, 01:13 PM
I used Ceriglass w/DA on a windshield a couple weeks back that had more what I would call "wear grooves" versus actual scratches. I was able to remove all the defects, but man that was some tough polishing! Had to go over the same spots multiple times to get the results I was after.

swanicyouth
04-10-2012, 02:47 PM
I will attempt this project in the next few days and do my best to do cumene before and after with pictures that we all like to see. I'm not even trying to get rid of any pits. The kit with applicators to work by hand, so I may try that first. It should be an improvement anyway.

Mike Phillips
04-10-2012, 03:04 PM
I used Ceriglass w/DA on a windshield a couple weeks back that had more what I would call "wear grooves" versus actual scratches.

Theoretically a DA could and should work as long as you can maintain pad rotation under pressure, it will just take longer than doing the exact same process using a rotary buffer.

Good job though if you did it with a D.A. Any before and after pictures?

I used Ceriglass with 5.5" Cyan Cutting pad on a DA to remove road film off the surface of the windshield of my Jimmy and it worked really well for this. I did this just a few months ago and I already need to do it again as you can see the film build-up on the glass.

:buffing:

SRTSean
04-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Theoretically a DA could and should work as long as you can maintain pad rotation under pressure, it will just take longer than doing the exact same process using a rotary buffer.

Good job though if you did it with a D.A. Any before and after pictures?

I used Ceriglass with 5.5" Cyan Cutting pad on a DA to remove road film off the surface of the windshield of my Jimmy and it worked really well for this. I did this just a few months ago and I already need to do it again as you can see the film build-up on the glass.

:buffing:

I'll actually be doing the same process on my windshield tonight or tomorrow and will take some pictures. The defects are tough to describe. They're not scratches that you can feel by dragging a fingernail across them, but they have the appearance of scratches when looking at the glass and also affect the performance of the wiper blades.