PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins....My first customer

Pages : [1] 2

rustytruck
04-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Well everything just went really well with my first paid customer. The new cyclo polisher really paid off and i couldn't have done it without ONR. OK I give up I'm not sure how to upload a pic on this post,but You can click on my Facebook page to see.

mjlinane
04-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Looks good!!

FYI - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/21295-how-upload-photo-into-your-autogeek-photo-gallery.html

Cosmin
04-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Well everything just went really well with my first paid customer.

with that prices you will run out of juice...

ForceField
04-10-2012, 01:11 AM
with that prices you will run out of juice...

Cosmin I took a look at your site. I loved the before and after pictures of some of the most beautiful cars I've seen. Thank you for sharing those on your site.

I think the OP is just starting out, and trying to build his client base. I take it he doesn't have the reputation to pull in clients with exotic and expensive cars like you do.

Were you able to start out with wealthy clientele, exotic cars and high prices or did it take some time to build up a reputation and build up the business with lower prices at first?

rustytruck
04-10-2012, 06:18 AM
As far as prices go I'm very comfortable with where I'm at $100 dollars for express detail. last nite my first mobile without having my garage right behind me took 3hrs. I believe with a litte more practice/experience I can get that under 2 1/2 hrs hourly that works out pretty decent. This is a side business for me. Full time I deliver mail for the post office. I can't get into any jobs that are going to tie up too much of my time. Express detail services are what I do. I'll leave the more involved work up to you guys. Thanks for the support.

Mike Phillips
04-10-2012, 06:28 AM
Well everything just went really well with my first paid customer. The new cyclo polisher really paid off and i couldn't have done it without ONR.

Congratulations!

OK I give up I'm not sure how to upload a pic on this post,but You can click on my Facebook page to see.

I snagged the URL address from a picture on your Facebook page and inserted it here,

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/404987_382107358477880_362046690483947_1243503_108 2450167_n.jpg

Here's something I wrote... it's under Photography and Working with Pictures on the Internet on my article list...

Photography and Working with Pictures on the Internet

If you're going to be a "Forum Person" on ANY forum, help yourself by learning how to work with picture on the Internet (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/40083-if-you-re-going-forum-person-any-forum-help-yourself-learning-how-work-picture-internet.html)

:xyxthumbs:

Cosmin
04-10-2012, 07:39 AM
from picture looks like you know what are you doing. all i was saying was the prices are too low and will be hard to change them later.
if you wanna make money , save some money and market.
you don`t have to work on hi-end to make money, you just have to charge for your time , knowledge and finish product.

Were you able to start out with wealthy clientele, exotic cars and high prices or did it take some time to build up a reputation and build up the business with lower prices at first?

i knew what i want , i start with 30-50% off for the first 3-4 months , but i realize that the juice is running out so... plans changed. lower prices brings you just head ache

Cosmin

Mike Phillips
04-10-2012, 07:47 AM
from picture looks like you know what are you doing. all i was saying was the prices are too low and will be hard to change them later.
if you wanna make money , save some money and market.
you don`t have to work on hi-end to make money, you just have to charge for your time , knowledge and finish product.
Cosmin

Good point Cosmin,

A detailing buddy of mine, can't remember who or I would give him credit once told me...

It's easier to lower your prices than it is to raise them

What he meant by that is you're better off to start out high and if you have to lower your prices because once you start out low you're customers will expect the low price and it will be hard to raise them later on.

:)

SON1C
04-10-2012, 08:44 AM
Im planning to charge 100 for my details as well, wash clay wax interior vacuum and protectant wipedown tire shine, (maybe glass cleaner on interior) leather conditioning is upsell (I'm thinking 10-15)

ForceField
04-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Im planning to charge 100 for my details as well, wash clay wax interior vacuum and protectant wipedown tire shine, (maybe glass cleaner on interior) leather conditioning is upsell (I'm thinking 10-15)

After some of the best detailers in the business just advised you against that?:confused:

Well in any case, good luck to you guys just starting out in detailing.

Gurge
04-10-2012, 02:29 PM
$100 dollars for express detail. last nite my first mobile without having my garage right behind me took 3hrs. I believe with a litte more practice/experience I can get that under 2 1/2 hrs hourly that works out pretty decent.

I guess this depends on your area a bit. Seems ok to me. Am I wrong here too? $30-$40/hr for non-correction work is giving it away? I'm talking vac, glass, wheels, wash, wax - done. no clay, no int dressing

SON1C
04-10-2012, 05:04 PM
After some of the best detailers in the business just advised you against that?:confused:

Well in any case, good luck to you guys just starting out in detailing.

not set yet, what do you suggest? I'm worried I won't really get any business

ForceField
04-10-2012, 05:19 PM
not set yet, what do you suggest? I'm worried I won't really get any business

It doesn't really matter what I suggest. I'm not a professional detailer with decades of experience running a profitable business. And you already heard from them.

But you asked so I'll answer. I suggest learning from and emulating those that are profitable now.

One thing they mentioned which I agree with is you can offer higher prices in the beginning and offer some discounts or coupons when business is slow. 25% off or 50% off coupons for first time customers or something like that. You can offer 50% off at first, then 25% off later, then 10% off. If your customers start asking why you no longer offer discounts you can truthfully tell them those offers were for when you weren't so busy, and weren't in such demand.

Good luck!
:dblthumb2:

rustytruck
04-10-2012, 06:03 PM
It seems like the debate about paint correction vs wash n wax guys keeps coming up on this fourm (check out "is the real money in low end detailing) if your doing full detail paint correction for $350-$400 and spending 7 or 8 hrs, aren't you making the same per hour?? Unless I'm missing something it sure seems like basic division.

Cosmin
04-10-2012, 06:46 PM
It seems like the debate about paint correction vs wash n wax guys keeps coming up on this fourm (check out "is the real money in low end detailing) if your doing full detail paint correction for $350-$400 and spending 7 or 8 hrs, aren't you making the same per hour?? Unless I'm missing something it sure seems like basic division.

oh yeah.. you miss a lot of details ... , for sure

you make real money on low end detail ,but not when you work by yourself! you need volume , and alot of business and a min of 1-2 guys and a business system to have a "secure" income.

i do 2 step correction for exterior only , around 400-450 , with 1 helper i can get that done in 5 hours , that`s 90$/hour , pay the helper , gas , etc and i still make more ...why? because i start with higher prices and i keep the clients , improving my working time with a helper is a pure profit.

now rise your prices and see how many of your "old" clients you have left...