PDA

View Full Version : flex or groits, Rotary user

Pages : [1] 2

TREMEK
04-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Guys I cant seem to make up my mind. I curently own a Dewalt 849XP but I would like to finish with a goits DA.

Now if I did not own a polisher I would go right for the flex. But im thinking I have a rotary for the hard work.

What would you guys do.

Thanks for any input

Marc08EX
04-09-2012, 04:47 PM
I would pick either the G110v2 or the GG6 if you already have the rotary.

TREMEK
04-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Im leaning towards that Marc.

Any one on here have all three. Rotary Goits gg6 and a Flex.

brawl
04-10-2012, 04:21 AM
I bet rotary would still be your go to tool when it comes to heavy correction and taking out sanding marks; thus, you may not need MF and surbuf pads (often). There's jewelling too for rotary. If I were you and I am skilled in rotary, I'll get Flex 3401 for its less vibration and faster performance and use for AIO and LSP or even finish out paints.

Take my vote with a grain of salt because I am a noob, I haven't use a rotary and flex 3401, and I like my GG very much. JUst my two cents if I will be placed in your situation and I will decide based on the reasons I stated. :D

tuscarora dave
04-10-2012, 04:29 AM
Go with the Flex, you won't regret it.

shoeless89
04-10-2012, 06:22 AM
Just get both! :hungry::buffing:

MCA
04-10-2012, 10:12 AM
I have a non-XP PC, Flex 3401 (primary tool), and a cheap Harbor Freight rotary. Because you have a very capable (in fact, quite awesome) rotary already, i would highly recommend that you get a GG6 or equivalent random DA instead of the Flex 3401.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Flex as it is my primary correctional tool of choice. However, I hate using it for glazing/LSP purposes because it's forced rotation is not conducive to one-handed, quick side-to-side motion. In my opinion, you've got the AIO/correctional side of the equation fulfilled with your Dewalt. Get the GG6 to cover the glazing/LSP side. Heck, you've probably read many success stories of the GG6's correctional ability as well when you match it with a qualified pad.

TimmyG
04-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Gg6

Superior detail
04-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Go with the Flex. You get what you pay for in this industry. The Flex is by far the better machine in most any case. Anyone, that says differently has not experienced the full dynamic of the Flex tool. I use the PE14-2-150 Rotary by Flex as well as the XC3401DA. I use the Rotary for most all correction, and I finish out with the DA. The DA also comes in super handy for the interior because I just purchased DA brushes that adapt to a 5inch backing plate. Made by Chemical Guys.

Once again, choose the FLEX, you won't regret it!

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Jaeson Lane
Superior Detailing
Superiordetailingsd@gmail.com
www.superiordetailing.webs.com

bigdriver4u
04-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Ah, this is right up my alley. My original purchase years ago was the Dewalt 849 Rotary and it's a monster. People say it's heavy, loud and all those other things but no one ever denies it's results.. 2 years ago I went with the Griot over the PC given the extended cable, redesign to motor and a few other items. It was great but noticed that during heavier jobs, it lacked the power rotate when applying moderate downward pressure. While at detail fest, I had a chance to use the flex 3401 after debating for the last 3 months to grade. All i can say is WOW.. First, some simple things to consider. The selector switch is in the rear of the Griot which is a pain. You have to to break in the middle of a section pass to adjust. (Poor placement). Second the speed on the trigger if fixed. Was not a big detail until I started working on nicer vehicles and needed to focus on pad movement at start and stop of trigger action. Thrid, the Griot is under powered for bigger jobs when cutting. The focused rotation requires you to run more rpms when applying pressure. That's not ideal when you want the consistent product disbursement.

Now to talk about the Flex.. All the things I said about the Griot do not exist in the flex. Selector switch at finger tip to adjust without reposition of the hand or fingers. Variable trigger up to the selected speed. Runs like a beast under pressure. It's the most quiet machine I own. It's weight balanced enough to work with a single hand. Great driven movement all the time. The Griot spins freely by hand (That's the extra rotation I was talking about earlier. HATE THAT!) and lastly the Flex has a trigger lock. NO FINGER Cramps when working on larger panels.

Now this review was not a knock on the Griot because it's works well under certain conditions. And the customer service is awesome. They will send you basicly anything without question without charge for 5 years.. But the FLEX is worth every penny. It can be your Go to for almost all jobs. Hope this helps.

Rsurfer
04-10-2012, 01:47 PM
:iagree: Only because the OP is skilled with a rotary.
I have a non-XP PC, Flex 3401 (primary tool), and a cheap Harbor Freight rotary. Because you have a very capable (in fact, quite awesome) rotary already, i would highly recommend that you get a GG6 or equivalent random DA instead of the Flex 3401.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Flex as it is my primary correctional tool of choice. However, I hate using it for glazing/LSP purposes because it's forced rotation is not conducive to one-handed, quick side-to-side motion. In my opinion, you've got the AIO/correctional side of the equation fulfilled with your Dewalt. Get the GG6 to cover the glazing/LSP side. Heck, you've probably read many success stories of the GG6's correctional ability as well when you match it with a qualified pad.

snellvilleauto
04-10-2012, 10:08 PM
buy what you can afford, and when you can afford, buy the best. Flex all the way

Rsurfer
04-11-2012, 04:31 PM
IMO it's not wise to use one hand on the Flex.

[QUOTE=bigdriver4u;653206]
It's weight balanced enough to work with a single hand.

Does the Griot GG6 not have a lifetime warranty?

They will send you basicly anything without question without charge for 5 years..

PAR Detailing
04-11-2012, 05:56 PM
I say go with the regular DA. I have 2 rotaries, Flex 3401, PC, GG6, and Megs g110 v1. I use every single tool I have for the most part. I have basically hung up my rotaries though. I use my g110 v1 most just because it was the first DA I got.

The reason I would go with a DA is because you can use it with the MF system (my personal favorite) and you can also slap a smaller backing plate on to hit tighter areas.

Old Tiger
04-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Honestly most of my friends prefer a DA. I prefer the Flex. The Griots will serve your needs for $200 less. The Flex is an acquired taste IMO. I have the 849X and love it. I correct with MF and jewel with the Dewalt as the last step.

BTW I loaned Adam the Flex and GG before we swapped. He didnt like the Flex. Hope this helps.