PDA

View Full Version : Nissan GTR seats - Suede Cleaning?

ChrisGT
04-09-2012, 03:24 PM
I have an appointment for an exterior/interior cleaning for a pearl white R35 with the white/gray seats. I was wondering if any of you have had experience cleaning these seats?

I've done a quick clean on this car before, but wasn't sure what to use on the suede portions of the seat (it is looking soiled and darker than the leather portions).

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll30/CHR1SGT/a2bb58cf.jpg
Before shot of the first time I cleaned it - the leather portions came out great, but the suede remained this darker soiled look.

What do you all suggest I use to get that suede area looking new again?

Thank you!

Superior detail
04-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Hey, you'll want to get a suede cleaning brush, and a suede eraser. Cleaning suede isn't so much about using a chemical as much as working up the nap in the suede and then brushing out the grime.

Cleaning suede at home does have its limits. Not all suede is prepared the same, either, and much of what is out there is actually imitation suede—dubbed suede merely because of the nappy finish. Some synthetic suede types are actually easier to clean, but you have to do it right. This is why it is important to READ THE MANUFACTURER’S DIRECTIONS before cleaning or using protective products. Using the wrong technique on suede can render professional help impossible, and so below you’ll find some tried and true, conservative methods to clean suede.

How to Clean Suede Safely

Read any cleaning directions and gather necessary gear. Any cleaning directions on your item will tell you how to clean suede using cleaning products that are safe for use with your suede and its particular finish. Depending on the mess you’re dealing with, you may also need a blade or knife, a suede brush (a nylon nail brush or toothbrush will do), and crepe rubber or a #2 pencil. You may also need a bath towel, low-grade sand paper . . . as you can see, the tools are diverse depending on what you’re dealing with, but combined they would still be cheaper than dry cleaning.

The first step in cleaning suede is working the nap up nice and fuzzy. This can be done with a dry bath towel, nail brush, or toothbrush. Investing in a suede brush is a good idea, considering suede is expensive and suede brushes are not. If you are working with shoes, you can use the metal side of a suede brush or the low-grade sandpaper. If the nap is matted down smooth, you’ll want to use the sandpaper, or even a blade, to resurrect the nap.

Use a suede eraser, crepe rubber, or a pencil to remove marks, shine, and some dry stains. The suede eraser works great, and they only cost a few dollars. Whatever you use, start out gently and add pressure as needed. If dealing with grime or stains, you’ll be able to see the marks actually lift off of the suede and onto the rubber—even marks that have been ground deep into the suede. When finished, use the suede brush or bath towel to work the nap back into its unbridled glory.

Many people want to learn how to clean suede that has gotten wet or has water marks. If the suede is recently wet, let it dry and then try using the suede brush or bath towel. If the water marks are old (most common with suede shoes), one method to try is rewetting the whole item with a spray bottle and then sponging off excess moisture. When the suede dries, the trouble spot should blend with the rest of the suede. If you get suede shoes wet, insert crumpled paper to maintain shape as they dry.

For fresh, pernicious stains such as ink, oil, food, or blood (I hope not), first blot up the excess liquid. This should be done with extreme care; using too much force will push the stain deep into the suede’s pores. Let the suede dry, and then attack the enemy with a suede eraser and suede brush. If that fails, try the sandpaper. If your suede product came with instructions on how to clean suede, they will more than likely have certain suede degreasers and cleaners in mind for this kind of disaster.

Protect your suede with a spray-on product designed for suede and leather. This is absolutely paramount. There are many “how to clean suede” pages on the web with differing strategies, but one thing they all agree on is that prevention and maintenance are vital. Many stains and marks, once set, are impossible to remove. Most stain and waterproofing sprays should be reapplied every six months. Suede should also be brushed on a regular basis to keep the nap lively and magnificent.

How to Clean Suede: Last Resorts

If you tried to clean suede with the above steps and that didn’t work, it’s time to take your suede to a professional. However, even professionals fail to get the job done from time to time, and perhaps you don’t have the cash flow to go in the first place. Below you’ll learn how to clean suede using some experimental methods against stains, debris, and filth. Be sure to test any of these methods in an inconspicuous area on the suede first to see how the suede—with its particular finish—reacts.

White vinegar is a popular way to clean suede. Use a damp cloth, cotton balls, or cotton swabs to gently massage the offending area, and then let it dry. Follow up with a nylon brush or suede brush.

Bread, stale or fresh, is used by some to clean stains from suede. Some swear by it, but it seems like a poor-man’s suede eraser to me, except that bread is more expensive.

Your freezer is a great tool for cleaning wax from suede. This seems to be a common problem; it’s as if the same sentiments that lead people to purchase suede also cause them to roughhouse by candlelight. Stick your suede jacket, gloves, etc., in the freezer until you can break off the wax and comb out the small stuff with a suede brush.

Let me know if this helps. Good luck with the job ahead of you!

Jaeson Lane
Superior Detailing
Superiordetailingsd@gmail.com
www.superiordetailing.webs.com

Superior detail
04-09-2012, 04:30 PM
You can get a suede cleaning kit (brush & eraser) at CVS for about $5 bucks.

Jaeson Lane
Superior Detailing
Superiordetailingsd@gmail.com
www.superiordetailing.webs.com

Mike Phillips
04-09-2012, 04:41 PM
The topic of cleaning suede came up last week, I shared the link to the below thread and it has links to some official recommendations on cleaning Alcantara which is like suede.

what to use to clean suede??? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/21419-what-use-clean-suede.html)

:)

ChrisGT
04-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Did I ever say how much I love you guys? Thanks a million! Stopping by CVS on the way home.. I'll post the results!