PDA

View Full Version : issue with optimum opti-seal

Pages : [1] 2

87rx7chick
04-09-2012, 12:16 PM
for the last 3 years i have been using opti-seal....

for the last 3 years i've been having issues with gloss enhancers.....

we just recently bought 2 new cars. a green mazda 2 (2012)and a black mazdaspeed 3(2012). i have a red mazda 3 (2010) i also own a 1987 mazda rx7 that i restored, show like paint job.

i first noticed this issue on my rx7 when i was prepping it for a car show. at the car show it was a gloomy day. but as the sun came out i realized my car was covered in streaks that looked extremely oily.

i then started noticing every time i used a detailer or spray wax i would get the very same oily residue left over that you can actually see. all of my cars had opti-seal on it. i simply just thought that the detailer spray was to oily so i stopped using detailer spray and waxes for a while.

last year i tried a new detailer spray, new waxes ect. all of them did the same thing. an oily residue left over. i could scrub and wipe all i wanted but it would not come off with out re-wetting the area with water. i even returned a whole gallon of detailer spray because i thought that was the issue..

i recently wrapped my red mazda 3's roof in oracal vinyl to give it a black roof. i applied opti-seal to that.

2 days ago i was using a spray on wax, on my hood and on my roof.... i sprayed the wax and of course like all the times before it left streaking that looked rather oily. even on the vinyl roof. thats when i took some spare vinyl i had laying arround and applied the same spray wax to it. nothing, no streaking no issues....

recently we purchased the 2 new cars. i applied opti-seal to the 2012 black mazdaspeed. but not on the 2012 green mazda 2.

so this got me thinking. i went to the green mazda 2 and i used the spray on wax with the SAME microfiber towel

I got NO streaking or oily residue left over. nothing was left on the surface to see visually...

i went to the black mazdaspeed 3 and used a NEW towel i applied the very same spray wax and i got streaking on the black mazda 3

i went BACK to the green mazda 2 and used the SAME towel and again, on the hood, but on the oposite side. i used the spray wax and got NO streaking or oily residue...

what does this tell me? opti-seal is REPELLING gloss enhancers and it leaves a visually noticeable oily residue/film or streaking on the paint surface.

now, please dont lecture me on "how to properly apply" or "how to use a microfiber towel" or "how much or how little detailer spray or spray wax to use" trust me , in 3 years time i have had plenty of trial and error and everything points to opti-seal.
temperatures on that day , 78, with the sun setting, in the shade
temperature today 72 with the car in shade.
average temp when using detailer spray or spray wax 70-80

humidity 30-55%

please dont try to recommend other products. all i am trying to do is see if others are having the same issue.

yes, if i use a waterless wash as a detailer spray, i do not have any issues with streaking or oily residue left visually noticeable on the surface

TroyScherer
04-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Hmm.... Interesting.

I have not had any issue applying a spray wax over top of Opti-Seal, but I was using Optimum Car wax. Also one other cool think about Opti-Seal is it can be put on over top of a wax as it will actually migrate to underneath the wax.

Question:
What Detail spray or spray wax are you using? There may be an incompatibility there.

duck_commander
04-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Troy - what you mentioned above really got me thinking... i've been wanting to trying OS... You said above that OS can be applied over top of wax and the OS will migrate underneath... I am a Duragloss user, do you think the OS would migrate underneath the 105/601 combo?

Ron Atchison
04-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Also one other cool think about Opti-Seal is it can be put on over top of a wax as it will actually migrate to underneath the wax.

Theres some that will argue that. Not saying that it doesn't do it but on another forum this was really questioned. Don't know that it has ever been proven, just said. Or at least there was never any proof provided in that thread.

duck_commander
04-09-2012, 08:59 PM
thanks for the info rzatch...

TroyScherer
04-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Theres some that will argue that. Not saying that it doesn't do it but on another forum this was really questioned. Don't know that it has ever been proven, just said. Or at least there was never any proof provided in that thread.

I got this info from Chris@Optimum. I do agree that I have not seen real proof that it happens. But it does make since that the solvents would soften a wax and allow opti seal to migrate underneath it. The real question to me is does the wax layer maintain or is it really just removed by the solvents...

I still would like to know what detail spray or spray wax the OP is using... this can make a big difference. And keeping everything in the same family can only help.

Setec Astronomy
04-09-2012, 10:06 PM
I dunno, I find most detail sprays leave an oily mess on top of most LSP's. Does that help?

Bradshaw
04-09-2012, 10:15 PM
3 years is a long time to have issues. You have more patience than I do

Ron Atchison
04-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Troy - what you mentioned above really got me thinking... i've been wanting to trying OS... You said above that OS can be applied over top of wax and the OS will migrate underneath... I am a Duragloss user, do you think the OS would migrate underneath the 105/601 combo?

Not to take the thread a different direction but OS works great on wheels.

I've always used OCW on top of the OS and never noticed any streaking just a nice shine.

rwright
04-09-2012, 10:32 PM

I was under the impression the migration only took place in the Optimum line. I doubt OS will penetrate Duragloss but I could be wrong.

Sorry to hijack OP but I am glad you found the root of your problems. :xyxthumbs:

Cosmin
04-09-2012, 10:57 PM
i get strikes from optiseal on some black paints , not often. when i do i go with any wax or another coat of opti-seal and that take care of any haze.

i have regular clients with opti-seal on their cars and as maintenance i use spray wax or even paste wax but after a onr wash ,never have problem with strikes , oils or haze , the surface is crystal clear all the time.
i do apply wax , spray wax or qd on a semi wet surface so i don`t get strikes :D

as Troy said it may be an incompatibility there

Chris Thomas
04-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Opti Seal is usually very tolerant of other brands, but it seems you just have a comparability issue. I know you didn't want product suggestions, but we are sure Our Detailer and Wax play nice.

duck_commander
04-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks rzatch and rwright.... i was just thinking how durable the DG combo with OS would be for a winter time application! :)

Nikhil from Dubai
04-11-2013, 11:35 AM
do i need to use OCW after doing a rinseless with ONR W&W, if the car is coated with Opti seal? Or does the wax in ONR W&W does the job of OCW as an LSP?

Dogfather
04-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Thanks rzatch and rwright.... i was just thinking how durable the DG combo with OS would be for a winter time application! :)

I put 501/111/OS on my ungaraged DD this past October. It poured here last night and this morning my car was completely covered with small beads.