PDA

View Full Version : Holograms

rddmxmeth10
04-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Why do I get holograms when using my PC? How do I avoid it? I clayed the car and applied Nattys blue paste wax and have a crazy amount of holograms. 1. How do I get rid of them? 2. How do I avoid it? 3. Why does it happen?

I'm sure the answers are out there, but im WAYYYY to lazy to look it up! So...thanks!

Mike Phillips
04-09-2012, 10:43 AM
You don't create holograms in the traditional use of the word hologram when using a DA Polisher. You get holograms from using a rotary buffer. Huge difference in tools and thus the scratch pattern you see...

The difference between Rotary Buffer Swirls, Cobweb Swirls and Micro-Marring (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28443-difference-between-rotary-buffer-swirls-cobweb-swirls-micro-marring.html)

Tracers Tracers - RIDS - Pigtails - Cobweb Swirls - Rotary Buffer Swirls - Holograms - Water Spots - Bird Drooping Etchings - Micro-Marring (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/22234-tracers-rids-pigtails-cobweb-swirls-rotary-buffer-swirls-holograms-water-spots-bird-droping-etchings-micro-marring.html)

If you're getting micro-marring or DA Haze from your DA Polisher then that usually comes from too aggressive of a pad or too aggressive of an abrasive or both for your last machine process.

This can leave both micro-marring and trails or visual paths that show where the pad was moved over the paint.

You can remove the hazing by re-polishing with a less aggressive pad and polish.

:)

rddmxmeth10
04-09-2012, 10:45 AM
As always, on point with the responses! Thanks Mike! I used a white LC CCS pad and the natty blue paste. I will try it with the gray CCS pad over the weekend and see what happens! Thanks Mike!

Mike Phillips
04-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Why do I get holograms when using my PC?

applied Nattys blue paste wax and have a crazy amount of holograms.

Are you positive you're removing all the wax and not simply seeing some type of wax residue in a pattern?

Or how aggressive of a pad are you using?

What speed?

How much downward pressure?

Natty's Blue Paste Wax is a finishing wax, it's non-abrasive so if you're in fact getting some type of micro-marring or DA Haze "in" the paint it has to becoming from your pad or your pad and your technique.

I show how to machine apply a wax in this video towards the end...

How to remove shallow RIDS and how to machine
apply both a paint sealant and a finishing wax

How to remove shallow RIDS and how to machine...

This how-to video also covers,

RIDS - Random Isolated Deeper Scratches
Removing watches and any jewelery
Using a DA Polisher without the handle
Placing cord over shoulder
Priming the pad on a DA Polisher
Speed settings for removing isolated defects
Downward pressure needed for removing isolated defects
How to clean a pad on the fly
Where and why to mark your backing plate with a black mark
Rotating the body of the tool to keep the pad flat to a panel
Why to allow the pad to stop spinning before lifting the pad off the paint
How to swap backing plates from a 3.5" to a 5"
Machine waxing using 5.5" Hydro-Tech Crimson Finishing pads with Menzerna Power Lock
The "Kissing the Finish" Technique
How to do the Swipe Test to check if a wax or paint sealant is dry
How to remove dried paint sealant using a microfiber bonnet on a dry pad on a DA Polisher
How to clean a microfiber bonnet on the fly with your fingernails
How to apply a paste wax by machine - Souveran Paste Wax
How to carefully wipe a WOWO wax off by hand using Microfiber Gloves and plush Microfiber Towels
How and why to fold a microfiber towel 4-ways to wipe wax off
How to break-open a coat of wax and then creep out to carefully wipe off a coating of wax
How to do the "Final Wipe"

Mike Phillips
04-09-2012, 10:51 AM
As always, on point with the responses! Thanks Mike! I used a white LC CCS pad and the natty blue paste. I will try it with the gray CCS pad over the weekend and see what happens! Thanks Mike!

If the paint is truly hazed, and in this context the term hazed means a type of marring "in" the paint, then you'll first need to re-polish the paint to remove the marring and then you can apply a finishing wax.

For applying either a paste or a liquid using a DA Polisher

Use the 3 to 4 speed setting, I use the 4 on Porter Cable type polishers as the faster OPM's help the pad to glide over the surface.

Only enough downward pressure to keep the pad flat and buffing smoothly

shoeless89
04-09-2012, 04:28 PM
I bet its not holograms and just smears of the wax residue. Its happened to me before with a handfull of different waxes. I've only had it happen with carnauba waxes such as Natty Blue. Try this, after you let it haze as normal and wipe it off. Go BACK over the car with a slightly more plush MF and it should remove the hologram looking effect :) Good luck and lets us know what you figure out!