PDA

View Full Version : paint shield

lvmyavalon
04-09-2012, 09:01 AM
A friend of mine has a 2011 ford f-150 he would like to have me detail.It has a dealer added spray on paint shield of some type.I have never worked on a car with this.How does this effect cleaning waxing etc.He has done nothing to the truck for a year,washed one or two times.Feed back please

Mike Phillips
04-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Chances are good whatever it is the dealer applied has worn off to some degree and when you machine polish the paint you'll remove whatever's left.

Most of these dealer applied protectants are simply synthetic paint sealants like we sell on Autogeek.net

Just do a Test Spot before going over the entire car with your process and make sure the results from your Test Spot look good.

:xyxthumbs:

vet
04-09-2012, 09:33 AM
My '07 in my avitar had that (or so I was told). I waxed it as normal
I have to wonder if it's something like opti coat. In my opinion, if it was sprayed on, it was just another layer of clear coat, but I don't know that for a fact.

When I got my '11, the dealer wanted to do that for around $500. I told him I could put a coat of DP poli-seal on for around 30. They did a good job of cleaning it before delivery. I clayed, used SSR 1, then the poliseal. A month or so later, another layer of polyseal, and a coat of max wax. I used ONR all winter, and a QD, and it looked decent all winter. Used Megs spray wax once. Last Saturday, I used the clay, SSR 1 and polyseal again.

What part of the people's republic of Illinois are you at? I'm in the northwest part, about 12 miles from Wisconsin, and about 25 from Iowa.

lvmyavalon
04-09-2012, 11:08 AM
thanks for the info.we are in beautiful(?) warrenville.30 miles west of chicago

vet
04-10-2012, 08:21 AM
I've heard of it, but don't think I've ever been there.

I'm about 20 miles west of Freeport, so a good 100 miles west of you.

Good luck on the project. I'm thinking the paint is pretty thin on my truck, especially under the hood.