PDA

View Full Version : Optimum cutting disc fusilare :(

Capa1970
04-08-2012, 10:45 AM
This weekend I was excited to try some of my recent purchases from Autogeek. For the first time I tried Hydrotech pads. I used them with Duragloss 501. I had always either used the flat pads or the CCS pads but have a new favorite now.
I also got a chance to try Optimum's mf cutting discs and also for the first time Meg D300. I had purchased two discs and used them on my mid-sized Lexus GS400. The vehicle had, just on the hood, some water/acid spots. I taped up the hood and divided it into 9 sections. The Griot's DA was on speed 5 and, with some pressure, I tested the first section. The spots were still there and so I bumped the DA up to 5.5 and redid the section. The spots were still visible and so I just assumed that they weren't coming off without removing too much clearcoat or paint. When I finished the second section I noticed that the middle of the pad was gunking with the product, despite using 3 pea sized dots of D300. I spritzed it with some water and massaged the pad to soften the middle. I then switched to my second mf pads and did 2 sections before I had to spritz it with wated again because it gunked.
After finishing the hood, I decided to try the discs on the headlights. I taped it up and on the second round on the first headlight the disc separated. It was the microfiber part from the foam and not the other side that is on the Lake Country backing plate. The other disc finished both headlights but I noticed after detaching it that the part that attached to the backing plate had started to melt/burn. I also noticed that the backing plate has a dimple on it, presumably from applying too much pressure on rounded surfaces. I am disappointed with the mf discs but am wondering if I did something wrong?

Perfections
04-08-2012, 11:52 AM
If its a brand new griots run it for a while, some get real hot at first and burn up backing plates and pads but after they break in a bit the heat will be reduced and you won't have this problem. Also make sure to keep your pad clean after each section pass to reduce heat.

Capa1970
04-08-2012, 12:43 PM
The Griot's was bought about a year ago, but, yes, it has burned some pads. In fact, it burned the original Griots pads that it came with but they were replaced freely. I'm just very is disappointed with the longevity of the Optimum mf cutting pads.

IOMCAMARO
04-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Sounds like too much pressure to me. If you're putting too much pressure on a MF pad, it's not going to do its job properly because the fibers are being smashed down. This creates a lot of friction therefore causing heat and premature pad failure.

bl3ujay07
04-08-2012, 01:03 PM
I have yet to try the microfiber pads, but i to like the hydrotechs very much! However, i had only bought a pack of three so i sent them out to my brother so they can use. I cant wait to put in an order for the hybrids and the microfibers!

Capa1970
04-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Sounds like too much pressure to me. If you're putting too much pressure on a MF pad, it's not going to do its job properly because the fibers are being smashed down. This creates a lot of friction therefore causing heat and premature pad failure.

Perhaps you are right about too much pressure.

buddhadog
04-08-2012, 04:29 PM
If Im not mistaken dont the MF require their own backing plate to help dissipate heat?

swanicyouth
04-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Foam works good to me. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand the advantage to microfiber.

Dr Oldz
04-08-2012, 06:28 PM
First off, you should be cleaning the MF pads with a nylon brush or compressed air, not spraying water on them. You may have heated the water up in the pad during the polishing process enough to create steam thus loosening the adhesives that hold the actual MF and foam components together. The gummy residue is a sign of spent product and a need for cleaning. I have some OPT cutting disc with over 15 uses on them and have not had one fail yet.

Secondly, it sounds as stated above that you were using too mush pressure. The MF discs have a lot of surface area as compared to foam thus introducing more polish to the surface being polished inturn requiring less pressure than a traditional foam pad.

Your best bet is to PM or email Chris at OPT and he will for sure guide you in the right direction and help solve any issuse.

manichol
04-08-2012, 06:57 PM
I had one do this about 3/4 of the way through the car. It was the cutting pad that separated. I contacted Optimum and the CEO replied back. He said some of the new ones had the issue so the increased the amount of adhesive. I told them that I had a bunch more of the pads and he said once I was able to use the rest of them and if any more failed the would send out replacements. Optimum is just as awesome as Autogeek when it comes to customer service. I highly recommend optimum products!

Chris Thomas
04-08-2012, 08:06 PM
I think you experienced a thermal breakdown of the pad due to improper use. According to Griot's CS, the machine is hitting between 7000-9000 OPM at that speed setting. I've seen it posted that speed six is 6800 OPM and 10,000 OPM so I'm not sure which is right, but 5.5 is too much. Our directions are to spread product at lowest speed and increase speed up to 5000 OPM to polish.

We have had to replace a few, but with the info you've supplied and the heat buildup on the backing plate I don't think it was the pad. You can certainly contact me if you'd like to discuss it though...I'm always glad to help.

Capa1970
04-09-2012, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the input, Chris. I have my Griot's manual in front of me and it states 2500-6800 OPM. Again, I never put it on 6 because that has destroyed several foam pads. I had it both on 5 and 5.5. Foam pads seem to be fine at that speed and I guess that I assumed that the mf pads would be too.
I am assuming that the combo of too much speed and pressure did the pads in. It still surprises me because I just did one panel (the hood) and the headlights and both discs are shot. I have never had a disc "melt" like the second disc. I purposely switched between discs to avoid any heat build-up but alas.
This also raises the question in regards to what is the best method to clean an mf disc. I know using an air compressor may be best but many of us don't have access to such a tool.

Chris Thomas
04-09-2012, 12:27 PM
I just brush them or hold a water dampened (not wet) towel to the face between panels. When I see too much debris/discoloration, I switch to a clean pad.