PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some help

RyeLou
03-14-2007, 11:04 PM
As some of you know I just got into the detailing thing. I'm very happy with my car still but I'm about to take on the task of doing my girlfriends car. I have a few Duragloss products, but they're pretty much all regular maintenance stuff (car wash concentrate, #111 and Aquawax) I'm not sure about what clay/swirl remover combo to go with. I should mention I will be doing this all by hand. I don't have a PC yet and I don't own an orbital, so I'll be taking this project on the old fashioned way.

As for her car, it's a purple cougar (same color as the one linked below)

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8307/purplecougarmb3.png

It hides the swirly decently well...much better than black anyhow...so I'm not too worried about making it perfect. Obviously I'd like to keep this project as simple/easy as possible since I'm doing this by hand, but we'll see what happens.

I'm open to opinions as far as what to use for the clay and swirls.

abrcrombe
03-14-2007, 11:19 PM
DP clay
Optimum compound and polish

nick19
03-14-2007, 11:28 PM
DP clay
Optimum compound and polish

No way!! :( Using a compound by hand? He will be there for 2 weeks trying to break it down.

Meg's ScratchX is probably the best thing by hand. That and ColorX are exellent products for use by hand. And they can be bought at Wal-Mart, Pep Boys, etc. Remember when working with these products by hand, it will require additional passes, and LOTS of elbow grease. Doing a car by hand isn't easy at all; either is it by machine.

PB's SSR #1 might work as well. I would also invest in some Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion as well.

-Nick :cheers:

abrcrombe
03-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Oh shoot! Sorry, I didn't see the part by hand. Honestly, you should just save up your money for a PC. The time and energy that you will use is not going to be worth it!

nick19
03-14-2007, 11:36 PM
Oh shoot! Sorry, I didn't see the part by hand. Honestly, you should just save up your money for a PC. The time and energy that you will use is not going to be worth it!

We're all not perfect... and I assumed you didn't read it by recommending OC. I wouldn't recommend OC to a new comer anyways.

I tried to answer his question, but a PC is a must for future use.

RyeLou
03-15-2007, 12:40 AM
I agree getting a PC is pretty essential, but at this point in time it doesn't look like I'll have one too soon. With the way the weather is I may not get to this project for another couple of weeks, so I guess between now and then I may pick one up. If not I'll give it a go by hand and see what happens.

nick19
03-15-2007, 12:43 AM
I agree getting a PC is pretty essential, but at this point in time it doesn't look like I'll have one too soon. With the way the weather is I may not get to this project for another couple of weeks, so I guess between now and then I may pick one up. If not I'll give it a go by hand and see what happens.

Doing it by hand, may take a whole day just for polishing with Scratch-x and ColorX, plus wax, tires, inside etc.

Polishing by hand is very difficult on you physically and if the weather isn't any good, you are better off just waiting for the PC.

orngez
03-15-2007, 03:30 AM
honestly like nick said don't even bother trying to do it by hand...your 12 hours of work will not produce great results at all if they even produce results....just use a wax like PB natty blue designed for dark color cars to mask the swirls until you can get around to affording a PC and a full swirl removing kit...the best wax i found to mask swirls is not sold by AG...i'll pm you the product if you are interested...

nick19
03-15-2007, 03:52 AM
honestly like nick said don't even bother trying to do it by hand...your 12 hours of work will not produce great results at all if they even produce results....just use a wax like PB natty blue designed for dark color cars to mask the swirls until you can get around to affording a PC and a full swirl removing kit...the best wax i found to mask swirls is not sold by AG...i'll pm you the product if you are interested...

There's also various "filler" products out there not in a wax form. I haven't had any luck with them, because I am not trying to fill swirls. I think a few here have tried such a product. They usually aren't worth it; after a few washes, your back to square one.

-Nick :cheers: