PDA

View Full Version : D151 and Megs MF pads

Meticulous-Detail
04-07-2012, 10:58 PM
I haven't had a chance to try D151 with the Megs MF system yet, anyone try this combo? I know D151 is pad dependent and I like using it with foam, but am thinking I can get better results with MF pads. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this combo and how were the results. thanx

shoeless89
04-07-2012, 11:24 PM
:dunno::buffing:

bl3ujay07
04-08-2012, 12:19 AM
not me, but i think he is a member on here. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWm63itb4no]D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream with Meguiars DA Microfiber Pads - YouTube[/video]

jrs1418
04-08-2012, 12:48 AM
Not a big fan of the Megs MF system. Pads separate from backing rather easy. Had awesome cut tho with d300, i would just load of n the MF pads or try another companies.. i dont recall the name but there's another company with some pads i hear are really good.

Meticulous-Detail
04-08-2012, 06:32 AM
not me, but i think he is a member on here. D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream with Meguiars DA Microfiber Pads - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWm63itb4no)

Thanx! :xyxthumbs:

mjlinane
04-08-2012, 07:35 AM
I have. I used it on a black Ford Escape and it turned out extremely well. It allowed me to finish the job in about 5 hours.

Meticulous-Detail
04-08-2012, 08:45 AM
I have. I used it on a black Ford Escape and it turned out extremely well. It allowed me to finish the job in about 5 hours.

Good to know. You used the cutting discs first and then the finishing with D151. What speed for cutting 5.5 and finishing 4, if it was a PC?

dad07
04-08-2012, 09:36 AM
I have had very good results with 151/cutting pad.

I've had better results with purple foamed wool pad and rotory.

mjlinane
04-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Good to know. You used the cutting discs first and then the finishing with D151. What speed for cutting 5.5 and finishing 4, if it was a PC?

With my GG6 and a 6" MF Pads, I use speed 4. With my PC and 5" MF pads, I use speed 5.

Note - I try to match with the paint. If the paint is hard, I haven't needed to "finish" it per se. If it is softer, I probably won't use a cutting MF. If I'm using D151, I really want only one section pass.

BTW - my post on this is on the sister forum (AF) under the title "5 hours of Escape".

Meticulous-Detail
04-08-2012, 12:05 PM
With my GG6 and a 6" MF Pads, I use speed 4. With my PC and 5" MF pads, I use speed 5.

Note - I try to match with the paint. If the paint is hard, I haven't needed to "finish" it per se. If it is softer, I probably won't use a cutting MF. If I'm using D151, I really want only one section pass.

BTW - my post on this is on the sister forum (AF) under the title "5 hours of Escape".

Nice!

Good info. I used D151 on an 06 Black Crown Vic that was never waxed or detailed and it did a great job with an LC Orange flat, but I know it would have came out much better with a Megs MF cutting disc. Didn't want to waste a MF pad on this job, as it a was a CG CW+G and then straight to D151 topped with DG Aquawax.

MirandaAutoSpa
04-08-2012, 01:59 PM
I love using the cutting mf with D151. I have used it with success as a one step. It does depend on the softness of clearcoats though so i always do test spot. But i do love it.

qaz393
05-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Nice!

Good info. I used D151 on an 06 Black Crown Vic that was never waxed or detailed and it did a great job with an LC Orange flat, but I know it would have came out much better with a Megs MF cutting disc. Didn't want to waste a MF pad on this job, as it a was a CG CW+G and then straight to D151 topped with DG Aquawax.

How do you waste pads on a job???

Meticulous-Detail
05-02-2012, 07:16 PM
The way I look at it, MF pads are more expensive then foam and after several uses and washes they fall apart and lose their cut.

This car is a police vehicle and I did not want to waste a Megs MF pad on it. Rather I used a LC Orange which are cheaper and more plentiful in my collection.

tuscarora dave
05-02-2012, 07:21 PM
I haven't had a chance to try D151 with the Megs MF system yet, anyone try this combo? I know D151 is pad dependent and I like using it with foam, but am thinking I can get better results with MF pads. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this combo and how were the results. thanx
I have tried it. It works well if correction isn't a main concern. Cutting disk only for me and it glosses up a car with a quickness. I can easily do 2 cars a day like this.

Not a big fan of the Megs MF system. Pads separate from backing rather easy. Had awesome cut tho with d300, i would just load of n the MF pads or try another companies.. i dont recall the name but there's another company with some pads i hear are really good.
I had those problems too at first until I figured out what was causing it and how to get around it. The cause is too much product gets the disk wet and working the disk too long while wet causes heat that combined with the wetness delaminates the disk.

The way to get around it is to use less product and switch out disks every 2 work sections. Later after the job is done and the disks are cooled down, clean the disks up and you're ready for your next job. It requires having at least a half a dozen disks on hand at any given time to work with this system. 8 disks cost me roughly $80 and since doing it this way I haven't destroyed one disk in the process.

qaz393
05-02-2012, 07:33 PM
The way I look at it, MF pads are more expensive then foam and after several uses and washes they fall apart and lose their cut.

This car is a police vehicle and I did not want to waste a Megs MF pad on it. Rather I used a LC Orange which are cheaper and more plentiful in my collection.

Interesting. Never heard about that. My pads still cut same and still TOGETHER....