PDA

View Full Version : Help the new guy bring new life to his Grand Cherokee

dpk20x
04-07-2012, 06:21 PM
New guy here getting ready to tackle my first ever detail on my 2002 metallic black Grand Cherokee. I'd say overall the paint is in ok condition for a 10 year old vehicle but there is a lot of moderate swirling that I'd like to remove.

I'll be buying the GG DA polisher and using a 5 inch backing plate. Not exactly sure what polishes and compounds I'll be using. I was thinking of using the meguiars MF pads along with D300 for the initial compounding. I hear MF is really newbie friendly and should do a good job of removing the swirls but doesn't finish up so nicely so after the D300 I was thinking about switching over to a white foam pad and using some sort of medium or fine polish, something like Mezerna Ultimate Finish PO85RD. And to seal it all up I already have some Zaino Z2 and Z5 that I need to use up before trying something else. Does this sound like a reasonable plan of action or might you tackle this a little differently?
Feed back please

rider9195
04-07-2012, 06:33 PM
The MF system is a very popular system. You should be fine with the Finishing wax as the final step. But if you want to change it out, Menzerna PO106FA would clean up the marring that the D300 leaves behind with the MF pad.

Silverstone
04-07-2012, 11:54 PM
I'm no pro but I brought back my grey 10 year old VW (first ever real detail) with a DA (PC) CCS pads and menzerna polishes, and by all accounts it looks amazing. I used a combination of Intensive polish and Micro polish, which took out all the swirls and only left the deeper scratches, and finally PO85RD. It's currently finished in Pinnacle Liquid Souveran which looks like a coat of glass on the metallic paint.

Today I'd probably use the Super Finish (didn't exist then) instead of Micro, and I'd like to try those MF pads too.