PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic clear coat needs rotary for correction?

snoby
04-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Question to all the pro's out there. Is it fair to say that if you have to do some real correction work to get rid of some isolated RIDS, on the ceramic clear coats ( like BMW) you have to use a rotary tool?
I'm using the 7424XP DA with the orange pad and Menzerna Super Intensive Polish. I've got the DA up all the way to 6 and when I'm done with my passes the pad is quite warm and so is the finish. Yet I haven't removed the RIDS and I'm moving at what I would say is a normal pass rate.

Thanks,

rider9195
04-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Sometimes a more aggressive pad is needed. Such as a microfiber pad. Although a rotary would make easy work of the deeper defects. Just remember that some RIDS could be too deep to remove.

VR8
04-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Keep in mind that some RIDS are not safely removed! Do you have a paint thickness gauge?

That being said, I don't believe you'll need to move to a rotary. Maybe a Surbuf pad and some Meg's #105.

snoby
04-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Keep in mind that some RIDS are not safely removed! Do you have a paint thickness gauge?

That being said, I don't believe you'll need to move to a rotary. Maybe a Surbuf pad and some Meg's #105.

Thanks all for your comments, I don't have a thickness gauge as this is just a hobby for me and my car. I thought the orange CC pad was pretty aggressive. Perhaps I need to talk to someone in GA that does this for a living...

Superior detail
04-07-2012, 12:34 PM
For deep RIDS, you may even need to wet sand. A rotary can definitely improve the aggressive quality you would need to get deeper into the clear, but remember that if you are not very experienced with a rotary, then trying to polish deeper may cause you more problems than you started with. I believe rotary work should always be performed by a pro.

Also, regarding wet sanding, if you do need to wet sand on a factory paint job a professional is highly recommended. Also a post protection application is highly recommended, such as Opti-coat. This would replenish the lost clear that has been taken away.

Good Luck!

Jaeson Lane
Superior Detailing
Superiordetailingsd@gmail.com
www.superiordetailing.webs.com

shoeless89
04-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Like other people said, many if not most RIDS from my experience need to be wet sanded to be removed, if in fact they can be removed at all. If this isn't a show car, I wouldn't really worry about them. Besides us, who's going to notice a RIDS here and there while the rest of the finish is swirl free? :rant: People always comment on how good my car looks but they can never figure out why exactly. Its because I have VERY few swirls and a few RIDS. Ish, most people don't even notice swirls on their own cars! Let alone an isolated RIDS.

snoby
04-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Like other people said, many if not most RIDS from my experience need to be wet sanded to be removed, if in fact they can be removed at all. If this isn't a show car, I wouldn't really worry about them. Besides us, who's going to notice a RIDS here and there while the rest of the finish is swirl free? :rant: People always comment on how good my car looks but they can never figure out why exactly. Its because I have VERY few swirls and a few RIDS. Ish, most people don't even notice swirls on their own cars! Let alone an isolated RIDS.
You guys are making way too much sense. How am I going to feed my OCD with you guys all telling me I'm nutts!
:dblthumb2: