PDA

View Full Version : What to lay down before Megs Ultimate Wax?

flektone
04-07-2012, 08:02 AM
I want to give the Ultimate wax a try since ive been using the spray quick wax to maintain and love it. I am not really to concerned with removing swirls and scratches because im doing the job by hand. Im basically looking for a cleaner and if it can remove some minor defects along the way thats great. Im a regular user of autoglym SRP but that is a sealant and you cant top it with another sealant right? So what would you suggest?

glen e
04-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Megs ultimate compound with a soft(er) pad or megs ultimate polish

stay in the family...

I have used both families extensively and like the Blackfire family better....

flektone
04-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Megs ultimate compound with a soft(er) pad or megs ultimate polish

stay in the family...

I have used both families extensively and like the Blackfire family better....

see im afraid to use UC by hand. Ive scratch Xed my last car and if you dont really work the hell out of a section it leaves marring behind. Any type of correction by hand is not something im willing to put the effort in. Im more comfortable with using a type of product like SRP which has mild cleaning agents and some fillers. Doesnt mess with the paint at all.

I have BFWD and wasnt impressed by it. If I decide to bust that out what would you recommend I put down before it?

darkstar752
04-07-2012, 09:20 AM
You shouldn't lay down anything. I would suggest a pre-wax cleaner, but that's really only for use before a wax. Despite Meguiar's name for the product, Meguiar's Ultimate Wax is a sealant. If you read carefully, you'll notice the product description says "A synthetic formula that cross-links with the paint."

dad07
04-07-2012, 09:38 AM
If your not going to polish then there is no need to lay anything down first.

I would at least clay after your wash...then wax.

Remember thin is in.

shoeless89
04-07-2012, 10:04 AM
see im afraid to use UC by hand. Ive scratch Xed my last car and if you dont really work the hell out of a section it leaves marring behind. Any type of correction by hand is not something im willing to put the effort in. Im more comfortable with using a type of product like SRP which has mild cleaning agents and some fillers. Doesnt mess with the paint at all.

I have BFWD and wasnt impressed by it. If I decide to bust that out what would you recommend I put down before it?

Hmm not impressed by BFWD? I've tried just about every OTC wax and they were "OK" for the time I was using them. But since I've found better products I haven't looked back except for the occasional Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba :)

Marc08EX
04-07-2012, 11:31 AM
I wasn't impressed with BFWD either.

rider9195
04-07-2012, 11:39 AM
A pre-wax cleaner would be ideal. What didn't you guys like about BFWD??

flektone
04-07-2012, 01:23 PM
pre wax cleaner thats what I meant. Im going to clay first, so which pre cleaner? I see megs has one of there deep crystal line, also mothers has a pre wax cleaner. Or would you recommend a high end professional one?

umi000
04-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Use the Meg's Deep Crystal cleaner, if you can find it - works perfectly fine, is functionally non-abrasive, and it's from the same company, so there should be no issues with product compatibility.