PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I am going to bite the bullet and hire a detailer for my remaining swirls

Pages : [1] 2 3

ltoman
03-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Ok,
I have worked on my danged vette and in the sun, she is covered in light swirls and spider webs. I can't get out the remaining light swirls, spider webbing, and light scratches.

It is coated in wax and cm, and I am really frustrated. I called a detailed who said they would do the hood just to show me the quality of their work and if I liked it do the car for $100/125. They were talking about using Malco or some other products not available to the public that I'd never heard of. Something with Teflon in it. ??? Mean anything to any of you? And is the price fair?
He knew of Pinnacle though, and of Souveran. He wasn't sure if he'd use an orbital or a rotary - I don't want to shave off all my clearcoat
what do you guys think??
ANY INPUT from you guys is appreciated!
(No, this does not mean I am giving up on working on the car. It just means I can keep it under control!!!)

Thanks,
LaurenFeed back please Feed back please Feed back please :)

orngez
03-14-2007, 03:55 PM
i wouldn't trust anyone else with my car...what products are you using? just remember that the clear on your car is VERY hard and takes longer to work out the imperfections...

ltoman
03-14-2007, 04:01 PM
i wouldn't trust anyone else with my car...what products are you using? just remember that the clear on your car is VERY hard and takes longer to work out the imperfections...

I am using a pc with the XMT line. It has been clayed with Pinnacle clay and washed with the shmitt and Pinnacle body shampoo mixed with DG soap or PB SS&W.
Repeated passes with help - I can wait for XMT 4 or buy Menzerma...

I figure he will be right in front of me .... and I will inspect everything he uses....
I just can't get them. My son's hand blows up every time he uses it. (That is another mystery).... and I am not happy about the car or my son. I had another teeneager (19) help me pc, and still same results. Boy did he put in some gusto.

orngez
03-14-2007, 04:04 PM
where in socali are you ...i'd be happy to come by and take a looksy...see if i could help...

ltoman
03-14-2007, 04:07 PM
where in socali are you ...i'd be happy to come by and take a looksy...see if i could help...
Just north of Escondido - (San Diego)

orngez
03-14-2007, 04:12 PM
yikes....to far for me...maybe the mobile detailer will be your best bet...

koibybrian
03-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Hmm, Well took out swirlles on my 2003 GMC using Wizard, Edge blue pad. However if heart is still intent some Bodyshops also detail.

nick19
03-14-2007, 04:45 PM
I'd look into the Blackfire Scratch Resistant Clear Compound (made my Menzerna) and maybe the finishing polish.

Maybe ask him about your clear coat, and see if he knows what he's doing. You know your cleat coat is hard, if he tells you its soft, he's wrong.

Ask what sort of polisher/buffer he's going to use. A PC, a buffer, do it by hand? (play dumb) etc.

What sort of polishes or products is he using? The brand name of the polish. If he can't tell you, look elsewhere.

And this whole "teflon" is crap. You can buy "Dupont 'teflon' " wax at Wal-Mart. Teflon cannot remove swirls.

ltoman
03-14-2007, 11:18 PM
I'd look into the Blackfire Scratch Resistant Clear Compound (made my Menzerna) and maybe the finishing polish.

Maybe ask him about your clear coat, and see if he knows what he's doing. You know your cleat coat is hard, if he tells you its soft, he's wrong.

Ask what sort of polisher/buffer he's going to use. A PC, a buffer, do it by hand? (play dumb) etc.

What sort of polishes or products is he using? The brand name of the polish. If he can't tell you, look elsewhere.

And this whole "teflon" is crap. You can buy "Dupont 'teflon' " wax at Wal-Mart. Teflon cannot remove swirls.

Yah, this guy worried me. He said the answer to swirls was wax, but now he knows I know better.

teflon is for pots, not vettes ...lol...thanks for the tip on that

i wish one of you guys on the forum were nearby - i would so pay to have it done!!

have to sleep on it....

nick19
03-14-2007, 11:31 PM
I wouldn't.. shame on you Lauren! :(

Find someone else to do the work. If his answer was "wax" is for swirls, hire someone else. $200 for a job like that is common. And with your Vette hard CC, I'd charge you by the hour, because I have no idea how long it's going to take.

Maybe lift up your top, and show him the reflections! He'll be amazed by what stunning reflections you have.. ;)

ltoman
03-14-2007, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't.. shame on you Lauren! :(

Find someone else to do the work. If his answer was "wax" is for swirls, hire someone else. $200 for a job like that is common. And with your Vette hard CC, I'd charge you by the hour, because I have no idea how long it's going to take.

Maybe lift up your top, and show him the reflections! He'll be amazed by what stunning reflections you have.. ;)

wax for swirls....crap. i know more than that.
but there are lots of guys out there. someone must know.
yes, he knew it had a hard clear - he called it very good or very strong - something like that.

i am not done yet.

nah, they don't get to see my reflections on the hood unless the work is free...lol:p

nick19
03-14-2007, 11:58 PM
wax for swirls....crap. i know more than that.
but there are lots of guys out there. someone must know.
yes, he knew it had a hard clear - he called it very good or very strong - something like that.

i am not done yet.

nah, they don't get to see my reflections on the hood unless the work is free...lol:p

I would get a few more quotes. I wouldn't do the hood for free to show you my work. That's why I keep a scrap book. I would do a small section, about a quarter of the half of the hood. Certainly not the whole thing.

Shoot, I'll buy a ticket to Cali and do the work for free to see THOSE reflections on your hood; who wouldn't? :awesome:

ltoman
03-15-2007, 12:00 AM
I would get a few more quotes. I wouldn't do the hood for free to show you my work. That's why I keep a scrap book. I would do a small section, about a quarter of the half of the hood. Certainly not the whole thing.

Shoot, I'll buy a ticket to Cali and do the work for free to see THOSE reflections on your hood; who wouldn't? :awesome:

cool. buy a ticket for july when i am off work, ok?

Jimmie
03-15-2007, 12:00 AM
You said that you are frustrated. I understand why you feel that way after all of the hard work that you put into your Vette. It just seems to me that the more that you do the closer you get to getting it perfect.
Bet you might even be more frustrated watching someone else touch your baby. Especially, if it wasn't up to your standards.
That's a lot of talk to lead up to say that I for one would like to see you finish it yourself. Me and a lot of others on here would be your biggest fans.
Hope that some of the experienced guys will chime-in with the idea that will finally work.
Best to you Lauren, whatever you decide,

nick19
03-15-2007, 12:12 AM
'Nother PM sent. We will work this out.

Your car will be 100% swirl free when you're done.