PDA

View Full Version : Taping raised lines/edges?

WRXINXS
04-06-2012, 09:01 AM
I have read that you are supposed to tape "raised lines" and "edges" before machine polishing (I use a PCXP) because those areas have very little clear coat and it is easy to go right through to the paint. I still don't quite get it. Can some one give me an example of a raised line on an automobile?

Thanks!!

Mike Phillips
04-06-2012, 09:21 AM
I have read that you are supposed to tape "raised lines" and "edges" before machine polishing (I use a PCXP) because those areas have very little clear coat and it is easy to go right through to the paint. I still don't quite get it. Can some one give me an example of a raised line on an automobile?

Thanks!!

A raised body line is where there's a high point, seam, edge, panel design, etc.

Or just the opposite of a 100% flat panel.

In this video I show what a raised body line is and talk about how it's a best practice to not buff on a body line...

How to use the Cyclo Model 5-Pro Polisher to remove swirls
Here are some tips and techniques for using the Cyclo Model 5-Pro Polisher to remove swirls, scratches, oxidation and water spots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COlHRyVXnog&hd=1

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
04-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Just to note...

Using tools like the PC style of polishers it's not super risky to buff over a body line it's just a good practice to make it a habit to not buff on top of body lines because,

Gravity tends to make paint flow off of high points

If you bought the car used you don't now who's buffed on the car before you and they may have used a caveman compound on a rotary buffer that abraded a lot of the precious thin clear layer off a raised body line. Now that the clear layer is "Whisper Thin", ANYONE that works on the paint by hand or machine risks burning through the clear because there's nothing there to start with.

So just make it a best practice not to buff on edges or raised body lines.

What are you working on?

:)

WRXINXS
04-06-2012, 12:38 PM
I am working on my Dads 2002 maxima with some Menzerna Powerfinish

WRXINXS
04-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Good video Mike thanks!!

Mike Phillips
04-06-2012, 12:58 PM
I am working on my Dads 2002 maxima with some Menzerna Powerfinish

This is kind of sloppy as I did it very quickly but I think you'll get the idea...

I've marked where you would find

Raised Body Lines
Panel Edges

Paint will tend to be thinner on raised body lines and panel edges.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/2002MaXIMA.jpg

Does that help?

:)

WRXINXS
04-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Mike, that helps alot. I appreciate you taking the time to do that for me! Thank you!! So, I don't need to tape off these places, just try not to buff over them is the point correct?

Mike Phillips
04-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Mike, that helps alot. I appreciate you taking the time to do that for me! Thank you!!

No problemo, it was a little thing but sometimes the little things are the big things...

We like to offer great help on this forum to separate ourselves from all the other detailing discussion forums.

So, I don't need to tape off these places, just try not to buff over them is the point correct?

Correct.

Clear coat paints are generally speaking hard BUT it's a good practice to not form the habit of buffing directly on top of body lines. It's just a good "Best Practice".

It won't hurt if you do, I show why in the video below...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et6Egpw-f-s&hd=1]Mike Phillips demonstrates the proper techniques on using the Porter Cable 7424XP - YouTube[/video]

The Porter Cable, Griot's Garage, Megs G110v2 and all variants of the Porter Cable are incredibly safe.

:xyxthumbs:

oldmodman
04-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Agree with Mike's points.

And to add, I tape all the high points with 3M blue 1/4 inch tape. I leaves almost no unpolished space afterwards. And I still remove the tape and polish the raised areas. Just very slowly with almost no pressure. Have not gone through any clear yet doing it that way.

Gokite
03-09-2014, 08:12 AM
In that first video link where mike polished the driver side hood section at the front grill, he polished on the top and over the edge, but did not go "down" the edge and into the narrower side.

If he were to polish the narrower side where it tapers pretty thin towards the radiator, would he work the DA up the slope up to the edge of that edge running along the windline of the hood?

I just got my DA and I am finding it confusiong whether you tape the edges with a DA or just a rotary. Looks like with a DA you can effectively go across the edge staying "level" or tangent with the panel being polished...?

Gokite
03-09-2014, 08:13 AM
On the Nissan a few posts earlier, on the edges on the hood, does one hand polish/compound those areas? They seem like "pockets" to me. I assume in this case one doesnt go in there at all with a DA or a rotary...?