PDA

View Full Version : noob - hello

dreyn1957
03-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Hi everybody,
I'm a noob and a DIY'er who's just trying to learn what to do and what not to do. I've done only hand and OP detailing on my own car(s), but I think I've done OK with that (I regulary get compliments on my cars' shine), using Mothers, Meguiars, etc. Done the clay bar, polish, glaze, wax routine... Now I'm going to attempt to graduate to a circular (got the cheap deal from Harbor Freight) and I'm overwhelmed by all of the products available for my needs ( removal of light scratches and swirls, polishing, etc) so I'll try to read through the available info in this forum for awhile and learn what I can but I'll eventually have some typical noob questions. I'll be detailing this car...(closeups to come)
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1017453/USNUS-Picture058.jpg

bambo2888
03-14-2007, 03:39 PM
at least you have a pretty good conditioned canvas to begin your work, granted I dont have any closeups to accurately judge.

i highly suggest getting yourself a decent dual action buffer, like the porter cable 7424. once you mix and match polishes with pads, your paint will be almost flawless.

i was just like you 6 months ago, doing everything by hand and using every single over the counter product available. once i came to this board, i was truly welcomed and enlightened to how much i have been missing out on. the buffer and a good set of supplies will not only make your life way easier, but also more productive.

good luck and don't hesistate to do a search or ask any questions you may have.

welcome!

ltoman
03-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Hi and welcome!!

Nuke33
03-14-2007, 04:16 PM
I would not get anything from farbor fright i mean they are great to test you hand at and to see if you like it but they are just not built to last. I would not start with a rotary i would go with a PC check you local lowes they are selling them off cheap if you can find one. Or better you you can get a kit from AG my suggestion would be the Optimum kit that they offer

Grimm
03-14-2007, 06:35 PM
The rotary is not a beginner's tool. If you really want to go that route, hit a local body shop and ask for some damaged panels to practice on before you do anything to your car. And make sure intentionally burn the paint a few times so you know how easy it is to do, and what not to do when you do the real thing.

dreyn1957
03-14-2007, 07:17 PM
great idea and advice..... I appreciate it !

FloridaNative
03-14-2007, 09:15 PM
The rotary is not a beginner's tool. If you really want to go that route, hit a local body shop and ask for some damaged panels to practice on before you do anything to your car. And make sure intentionally burn the paint a few times so you know how easy it is to do, and what not to do when you do the real thing.
:iagree: For someone new to polishing, I would start of with a dual action polisher like the Porter Cable. They are extremely safe and give you ample learning curve. A rotary can damage paint in the blink of an eye if you are not careful. I agree 100% with Grimm about learning on junk panels and gaining a level of competence before touching your car's paint with it. Good luck and welcome to the forums. :)