PDA

View Full Version : Couple of pre-order newbie questions

Spiney
04-05-2012, 11:16 PM
My main objective is to correct, polish, and protect my black 96 SVT Cobra which is mostly garaged and not a DD. I also have a few other cars to learn on, most are dark colors. I bought a GG 6 and. Meguiar's DA MF KIT. But I also want to have other options.

From reading Here for a few months I think I want to use Wolfgang DGPS. Can I top that with a wax, or is there no need to? I was thinking Collonite 845 for durability but would that kill the deep wet look of the DGPS?

Next question: Lake Country 5.5" flat pads. My understanding is I want orange for correction, red for applying wax and or sealant, white for polishing? Is that correct? What other ones should I have in my basic kit? Also for a car the size of a Mustang how many of each should I have? With my 4 back surgeries I may want to remove the wax with the machine, what do I want for that?

For an APC I often see Meguiar's recommended, I already have a gallon of Simple Green is that OK? Especially for the engine compartment and wheel wells?

Grit Guards: will they fit into the Home Depot buckets I already have?

Finally for now is it ok to mix products lines or is it best to stay with one mfgs line? Like if I want to use Wolfgang DGPS should I use WG's polish or similarly should I stay with the Meguiar's line if I start there.

Thanks much for your patience and help. I want to have what I need once I start, I also don't want to explain to my wife I spent $300 and still need something else lol. Though I do realize there is always something else to need or more likely want.

Spiney-Dave

walletless
04-06-2012, 01:16 AM
I am a n00b too, so I cannot answer all your questions.. but here are ones I have read before on this forum:

Lake Country 5.5" flat pads. My understanding is I want orange for correction, red for applying wax and or sealant, white for polishing? Is that correct?
Orange for light correction or Yellow for heavy correction is correct
I read somewhere (can't remember which thread) that red is too soft to use with DA - they were more meant to be used with rotary. I think black pad will be most suitable for wax and sealant
White for polishing seems right

Grit Guards: will they fit into the Home Depot buckets I already have?
Yes, if they are 5 gallon buckets.

bigdaddybama
04-06-2012, 04:48 AM
IMO went with the hydro tech 5.5 pads w/my flex 3401. Should be good for other ROP as well. They soak up less product than reg flat pads and the crimson is awesome for applying a wax or sealant. The grit guard stops at about an in from the bottom of the HD orange bucket. Lowes has clear 5 gal buckets with the measurements on the outside for pretty cheap.

Bunky
04-06-2012, 02:08 PM
The grit guard stops at about an in from the bottom of the HD orange bucket. Lowes has clear 5 gal buckets with the measurements on the outside for pretty cheap.

I guess the HD buckets vary since they go very close (within a 1/4-in) on my buckets (at least 3 different ones).