PDA

View Full Version : Tape residue left all over my trim....

fenderpicks
04-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Hey guys, i just got done detailing my car, i used the Blue painters tape... and now i peeled everything off... i have lots of residue left on my trims....

What product do i need to get the tape residue off!?!??!

bl3ujay07
04-05-2012, 10:40 PM
One reason why i prefer LSP that does not stain trim. After final polishing, remove tape, wash and IPA to remove the residue and then lsp. I think a qd would be able to remove those residue. They are not too stubborn.

embolism
04-05-2012, 10:40 PM
I think I've read people use 3M adhesive remover. But I've never had to use it on my trim.

Next time, treat your trim with your normal trim product to prevent the adhesive from bonding so well with it

how long did you leave the tape on anyhow?

Kristopher1129
04-05-2012, 11:01 PM
What type of tape are you using? How long did it sit there?

I've never had that happen before. But, it's typical depending on the tape you used. Automotive tape shouldn't leave anything behind. If it does, it probably sat for a while in the heat.

fenderpicks
04-05-2012, 11:04 PM
i used the scotch blue tape, had it on for about 5 days?
I ended up using some ultima rinseless wash to clean it off
And used CG VRP Dressing to give it that Black look.
Im top it with UTTG tomorrow lol

But from now on i will start using the green tape instead of blue

Kristopher1129
04-05-2012, 11:13 PM
i used the scotch blue tape, had it on for about 5 days?
I ended up using some ultima rinseless wash to clean it off
And used CG VRP Dressing to give it that Black look.
Im top it with UTTG tomorrow lol

But from now on i will start using the green tape instead of blue

That explains it if you ask me. I think leaving tape on for 5 days is quite a while. If I put tape on I typically do my business and have it off within 24 hours. If the temps get warm where you're at...then 5 days is definitely a while.

I can't imagine it's a lot of adhesive residue though either way. You could try some mineral spirits.