PDA

View Full Version : Need something to help polish powder coated rims

Grifftech
04-05-2012, 02:39 PM
My rims are powder coated black and in sunlight you can see faint swirls and fine scratches on the lip of the rims. The rear rims have a 3.5" deep lip and the fronts have about an 1.5" deep lip. I want to get in there with some polishing compound and polish out the swirls and such then buff them up before I seal and wax them. But my DA is too big, I was wondering if you guys or gals can recommend something that might work on a drill or maybe a Dremel that can hold a small polishing pad and get in there and get the tighter spots.

Thanks,
Chris

Grifftech
04-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Any ideas? :)

RhetoricMixes
04-05-2012, 05:56 PM
As far as tools to get the job done i suggest this: Mothers Original PowerBall Polishing Tool enables you to polish metal, plastic & painted surfaces using your electric drill! Mothers PowerBall is made (http://www.autogeek.net/mo5140.html)
And for your wheel cleaner, ive had good experiences with Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel Gel. Dilutes good and gets everything but the messiest wheels. Im not sure what you could use to get the swirls out but if they are coated with clear like most wheels you can treat them just like your paint on your vehicle. What polishes or compounds do you have to use?

Josh@BR
04-05-2012, 08:08 PM
The Mothers PowerBall drill products work great for polishing wheels. You may also want to check these out.

Amazon.com: POLISH BUFFING KIT for Mag Wheels, MANIFOLD, ALUMINUM, Stainless Steel, CHROME: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-BUFFING-MANIFOLD-ALUMINUM-Stainless/dp/B000HW9G6K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328464321&sr=8-2)

flamed03vert
04-06-2012, 08:54 AM
There is a power cone that might work a little better. Maybe a light hit with something like Megs UC or some 205 might get them straightened out?

Grifftech
04-06-2012, 09:26 AM
There is a power cone that might work a little better. Maybe a light hit with something like Megs UC or some 205 might get them straightened out?

Saw that power cone yesterday and was thinking same thing, gonna give it a shot

5.4 Shelby
04-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Are these factory or aftermarket wheels? If factory, they are probably clear coated.

Grifftech
04-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Are these factory or aftermarket wheels? If factory, they are probably clear coated.

Aftermarket, no clear