PDA

View Full Version : Marring BMW paint with microfiber

Pages : [1] 2

FPEvo
04-05-2012, 11:17 AM
I have a black 1998 740i that im trying to buff out. I used SIP on a white pad, pretty much removes all defects and looks great, but it seems that it gets marred again when i wipe it off. Should i try softer microfibers? or possibly spraying it with ONR?

During the polishing it seems to come out great, but its driving me crazy trying to get it perfect. I use it as my test car for everything.

Porsche Pilot
04-05-2012, 11:19 AM
What kind of towels are you currently using?

FPEvo
04-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Currently have tried these:

Meguiars Professional Ultimate Wipe® Detailing Cloth, Microfiber detailing towel, meguires ultimate wipe (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-wipe.html)

and

Blue All Purpose Microfiber Towels 6 Pack: Bulk pricing on all purpose microfiber detailing towel. (http://www.autogeek.net/coblallpumit2.html)

Just wondering if its me or the nature of the paint itself.

TimmyG
04-05-2012, 11:45 AM
I would use a higher quality microfiber. Cobra Gold Plush should work fine imo. Regardless of which MF you go with, go with one that is a well known solid polish removal towel.

FPEvo
04-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Sounds good. I'll go pick a couple up and see what happens. I think im going to finish the car with a black pad and 85RD.

It corrects pretty easy, but mars just as easy. When people open my doors and push against the door with their thumb, i can get a perfect thumb print on the clear coat.

embolism
04-05-2012, 12:04 PM
sounds like a prime candidate for a permanent coating...

FPEvo
04-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Ya i wanted to opticoat it as soon as i get the polishing all done. Going to get some plush microfibers and do the drivers side doors and see how they come out after both SIP and 85RD.

Does anyone else have this kind of experience with BMW paint?

kronos
04-05-2012, 12:21 PM
What color is it?

kronos
04-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Oh, just re-read your first post. If you're not cleaning the section you just polished, then you may be putting swirls on the polish residue. Once you remove all polish residue, check again for swirls.

bobble
04-05-2012, 12:38 PM
If it's JB (jet black Schwarz) then yes you can mar it by breathing on it. I've owned a couple of them and done a few. Permanent coating is the only way to help it. I used Opti Coat on the last one I had.

If you have 85RD then that will help you fine polish it but that's quite a jump from SIP to 85RD. Do you have any 106 that may be better as it should get the marring out but leave you with a nice final finish. I guess my point is 85RD may not get the marring put in by the towels out without extra passes and such.

FPEvo
04-05-2012, 12:44 PM
yes its JB. I have read some posts of people saying let the panel cool a little below wiping off the polish. I polished out my evo no problem. so i was wondering if its me or the paint

Also Bobble, i do have 106, so i will try going from SIP to 106 on black and see how it goes.

FPEvo
04-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Oh, just re-read your first post. If you're not cleaning the section you just polished, then you may be putting swirls on the polish residue. Once you remove all polish residue, check again for swirls.

Well I wipe the section i just polished. Guess i worded it wrong. But the swirls and defects go away, but after getting all the polish off you can see light marring again, in the direction i was wiping.

SON1C
04-05-2012, 07:03 PM
can someone explain opticoat and perm coating it?

Old Tiger
04-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Get a MasterBlaster! If the paint is that soft, consider Opti Coat. It is very scratch resistant!

FPEvo
04-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Well i picked up some softer towels and heres what i ended up with. Also, the pitting in the paint is normal, it happens with jet black bmw's i guess.

Before(shot of the quarter pannel, didnt take one of the door before :doh: ):

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/Scope2x/IMG_5907.jpg

After:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/Scope2x/IMG_5912.jpg

what do you guys think? could it look better? I think its ok for the paint being 14 years old.