PDA

View Full Version : Buh-Bye $4 + per gallon Diesel!! Hopefully***

Pages : [1] 2 3

ShineTimeDetail
04-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Lets keep the comments clean in this thread please.

So I have a buddy that lives in CA and he's a bit of a hippy lol He's been hounding me to convert the 7.3 powerstroke I have to run off Vegi oil. It's a lot of money for a conversion kit- like 2K, plus you still have to get the oil and filter it. The problem with the kits is you need to have an extra tank in the vehicle and that takes up room. Plus you still run on diesel for 15 minutes till the oil heats up.

I am going to start processing my own Bio-Diesel. This system takes a couple hours to convert about 50 gallons. The first restaurant I went in to(Use to work there while first starting up my detail biz a few years ago) They agreed to let me start getting the oil. They have 3 restaurants and they go through about 60 gallons per week. I have another restaurant I plan on hitting up that I also use to work at.

The process is fairly simple. What I have to do is get the glycerin out of the oil. Since I filter all the oil and get the glycerin out I can pour the oil directly into the fuel tank and not have to worry about heating the oil up or anything. I strictly pour and go. The products that I will need to buy will not be much. I will be able to make this stuff anywhere from 80 cents to $1 per gallon.

Also from what I hear, vegi oil will burn hotter than diesel so I got to thinking....All my equipment except my generator runs on diesel. If I start running oil the stuff will burn hotter. I may have to run a mix of 50% diesel and 50% oil.

Monday I filled 3/4 tank about 25 gallon, my steam cleaner, my pressure washer and a extra 3 gallon can up and it cost me $160! I filled back up tonight and spent $100. I haven't been all that busy either. I spent over $600 on fuel last month and I was not busy but not slow. I excpect to be spending between $800- $1000 or even more on fuel this spring and summer! That's ridiculous!! So I'm going to do something about it!!

Oh and the filtration system will set me back about $400 or so.

Porsche Pilot
04-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Very, very interesting. Just curious, what do you do with the separated glycerin?

ShineTimeDetail
04-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Garden or grass...its a great fertilizer.

TimmyG
04-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Subscribed. Had a friend that did this years ago on an older mercedes diesel that is still on the road today with 200K+ miles. Refining the oil is a bit of a pain, but worth it in savings.

Any pictures of the kit you're looking at?

ShineTimeDetail
04-05-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm a do it yourselfer. Building my own

richy
04-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Subscribed. Had a friend that did this years ago on an older mercedes diesel that is still on the road today with 200K+ miles. Refining the oil is a bit of a pain, but worth it in savings.

Any pictures of the kit you're looking at?

One of our Staff Sergeants at work did that with his old Mercedes. He says it runs great, but it smells like a french fry machine going down the street...it makes everyone hungry! You should get the restaurant to put a sign on your truck due to all the hungry people it'll be tempting.

Ray@Autogeek
04-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Good luck and keep us upated! I'm shopping around for a street bike myself to combat these insane gas prices.

LegacyGT
04-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Very cool and I am all for your conversion :) Hopefully some constructive information, I have read a few stories about people getting in trouble for dodging federal and state fuel taxes (what keeps our roads maintained); however since you are blending and still using diesel that has been taxed you shouldn't have any issues IMO.

Just a heads up for others.

Ipsdrew
04-05-2012, 02:30 PM
How does the system seperate the glycerin while it's in the vehicle? when I was helping a relative made his "vegi fuel" we had to add methanol and sodium hydroxide, then heat the oil and wait for the glycerin to seperate. Entire process took 1-2 days depending on what oil we started with. You have a link for the system you bought?

Tundra_10
04-05-2012, 02:40 PM
How does the system seperate the glycerin while it's in the vehicle? when I was helping a relative made his "vegi fuel" we had to add methanol and sodium hydroxide, then heat the oil and wait for the glycerin to seperate. Entire process took 1-2 days depending on what oil we started with. You have a link for the system you bought?

I am curious as well! I remember an episode of Trucks! from years back and they made their own fuel. I swore it took even longer then a couple days but I do remember them adding some sort of chemicals to the oil and had it almost in a distiller looking thing to allow the parts to separate.

Either way, I think its a really cool idea and if you are 10000% sure its going to work, I would go for it.

Is the fuel sediment traceable? Just curious because if your rig has a warranty, what will happen if you pop a head gasket or something happens to the fuel system (possibly due to the increase in hear or not) and the dealership notices some foreign deposit that is not normally found in diesel?

Jomax
04-05-2012, 04:27 PM
I am curious as well! I remember an episode of Trucks! from years back and they made their own fuel. I swore it took even longer then a couple days but I do remember them adding some sort of chemicals to the oil and had it almost in a distiller looking thing to allow the parts to separate.

Either way, I think its a really cool idea and if you are 10000% sure its going to work, I would go for it.

Is the fuel sediment traceable? Just curious because if your rig has a warranty, what will happen if you pop a head gasket or something happens to the fuel system (possibly due to the increase in hear or not) and the dealership notices some foreign deposit that is not normally found in diesel?

As soon as you run that stuff you can tell it was there....also new trucks can't handle the fuel. 6.0 and 7.3 diesel have the injectors fired by a HPOP. Psi in a 7.3 or 6.0 goes up to 4,000. In a common rail found in all new trucks, cummins and duramaxs included go up to 20,000 and can't handle vegi oil.

SkateForGirl
04-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Yea these prices are ridiculous. Cant wait to see the outcome.

I have a friend who has a Cobalt SS Turbo. He just converted to E85 with just a tune on the car and his gas mileage is around 23 mpg instead of 30 but he pays high 2's for gasoline now. There's a bit of savings but not to much, so I'm curious to see how much better this is.

Tundra_10
04-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Yea these prices are ridiculous. Cant wait to see the outcome.

I have a friend who has a Cobalt SS Turbo. He just converted to E85 with just a tune on the car and his gas mileage is around 23 mpg instead of 30 but he pays high 2's for gasoline now. There's a bit of savings but not to much, so I'm curious to see how much better this is.

I think E85 is a cock of poop. Its slightly cheaper but as you pointed out it burns much faster thus needing more. I think its just a way to ruin farmers crop prices, get us to spend more and gas refineries make more profit.

Furthermore, regardless if the engine is "made" to run off it, I think it does some damage on the fuel system. My truck is a flexfuel, yet I still try to seek out the stations that sell ethanol free gas (there are very few out there) and currently I cannot find any in my area.

I have heard that it can give you a little extra power with the right tuning, but I still would not run it. I do not trust nor like that fuel.

Although, I am very old school in my ways. I still change my oil every 3k miles so... what do I know lol.

SkateForGirl
04-05-2012, 05:05 PM
I think E85 is a cock of poop. Its slightly cheaper but as you pointed out it burns much faster thus needing more. I think its just a way to ruin farmers crop prices, get us to spend more and gas refineries make more profit.

Furthermore, regardless if the engine is "made" to run off it, I think it does some damage on the fuel system. My truck is a flexfuel, yet I still try to seek out the stations that sell ethanol free gas (there are very few out there) and currently I cannot find any in my area.

I have heard that it can give you a little extra power with the right tuning, but I still would not run it. I do not trust nor like that fuel.

Although, I am very old school in my ways. I still change my oil every 3k miles so... what do I know lol.

Yea I agree. I would never run on E85 except to make more power in my car.
Their are a decent amount of gas stations that do e-85 but everywhere else they are very limited I've heard. The extra power is 100% true though. My friend makes so much more power then regular tuned gasoline Cobalt SS Turbos boosting the same PSI as them.

BTW: I change my oil every 2500 miles so your not the only one :)

Klasse Act
04-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Why the disclaimer about keep it clean in this thread though?