PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars #26 yellow tech wax

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jomax
04-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Kind've in a bind. Going to CA in the focus Saturday and it doesn't have a coat of wax. I really want to put on at least one coat but, being a last minute thing I can't order 845. My question is what is a good OTC product?? Is #26 kindve like a sealant?? My local autozone sells it in paste and liquid form, which one is better? My main reason to wax is to be able to clean the bugs off easy( this thing is a bug magnet) and of course protection. Thanks

pcw25
04-05-2012, 10:31 AM
I have used number 26 liquid...it's okay, I mean nothing amazing. I would go with the liquid, as I would assume the paste would take longer. If I could choose any OTC item, it would probably be Mothers New Synthetic Wax (the one with the gold Ford GT on it) I've heard great things about it. Hope this helps!

TimmyG
04-05-2012, 10:33 AM
If you have an Advance Auto in your area, they should carry Collinite 845 which imo is about as good as it's going to get OTC.

Jomax
04-05-2012, 11:01 AM
If you have an Advance Auto in your area, they should carry Collinite 845 which imo is about as good as it's going to get OTC.

No advanced auto :(

FUNX650
04-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Kind've in a bind. Going to CA in the focus Saturday and it doesn't have a coat of wax. I really want to put on at least one coat but, being a last minute thing I can't order 845. My question is what is a good OTC product?? Is #26 kindve like a sealant?? My local autozone sells it in paste and liquid form, which one is better? My main reason to wax is to be able to clean the bugs off easy( this thing is a bug magnet) and of course protection. Thanks

If I'm not mistaken...Meg's #26 is considered a hybrid wax.

There is really no difference between hard pastes, cremes or liquids if you're referring to a particular wax product and its formula.
That formula's % of wax-content is static...It's the "form" that may be different.

Most chemists/formulators create the wax "form" (paste, liquid, creme) to achieve what the marketing department has dictated.
The "form" usually has to do with cost, application/removal ease, protection, gloss, durability, and other factors.

I really like the fact that Meg's #26 cures to be absolutely, 100% optically clear...Thus allowing the BC's color to shine shine through a "corrected" CC paint film, as well as the '#26-LSP's-film'.

IMO...You'll be pleased with Meg's #26. I know I am!

:)

Bob

Jomax
04-05-2012, 12:00 PM
If I'm not mistaken...Meg's #26 is considered a hybrid wax.

There is really no difference between hard pastes, cremes or liquids if you're referring to a particular wax product and its formula.
That formula's % of wax-content is static...It's the "form" that may be different.

Most chemists/formulators create the wax "form" (paste, liquid, creme) to achieve what the marketing department has dictated.
The "form" usually has to do with cost, application/removal ease, protection, gloss, durability, and other factors.

I really like the fact that Meg's #26 cures to be absolutely, 100% optically clear...Thus allowing the BC's color to shine shine through a "corrected" CC paint film, as well as the '#26-LSP's-film'.

IMO...You'll be pleased with Meg's #26. I know I am!

Bob

Thanks Bob!! I'll give it a try!

Mike Phillips
04-05-2012, 12:09 PM
I have a catalog in my collection from 1988 that states,

M26 is the only wax that will increase the D.O.I. of a previously polished surface.

The context of that statement was after using #7 Show Car Glaze on black paint, most waxes would decrease D.O.I. while M26 would actually increase D.O.I.

I asked a chemist friend about this and he said it was because M26 has/had the ability to bend light. Maybe one of our engineering type people can explain how that would work...

D.O.I. = Distinction of Image

The ability of a surface to reflect an image clearly. A mirror offers 100% D.O.I.

Jomax
04-05-2012, 12:13 PM
I have a catalog in my collection from 1988 that states,

M26 is the only wax that will increase the D.O.I. of a previously polished surface.

The context of that statement was after using #7 Show Car Glaze on black paint, most waxes would decrease D.O.I. while M26 would actually increase D.O.I.

I asked a chemist friend about this and he said it was because M26 has/had the ability to bend light. Maybe one of our engineering type people can explain how that would work...

D.O.I. = Distinction of Image

The ability of a surface to reflect an image clearly. A mirror offers 100% D.O.I.

Even more the reason to use it!!! Mike, thank you for your post, where do you remember all this!?!:)

Jaretr1
04-05-2012, 01:58 PM
It also smells good and is very easy to use.

Mike Phillips
04-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Even more the reason to use it!!! Mike, thank you for your post, where do you remember all this!?!:)

Somewhere in my brain there's a place that seeks out, latches onto and remembers anything to do with detailing, mostly compound, polish and wax related...

It's the retrieval process that is sometimes slow...

Detailing cars is my passion so that makes it my interest...

I'm pretty good at identifying classic cars by their grills too...
(but so are most car guys)

:D

Klasse Act
04-05-2012, 02:22 PM
If its such a quick trip, you could use NXT 2.0 on the car before hand, then, once there, clean it up real good and apply another coat of NXT. IMO its just so easy to use, has some cleaners in it and produces a great shine and lasts about a month, so another coat once there after a good cleaning is a good idea. Have a safe trip!

Jomax
04-05-2012, 03:26 PM
If its such a quick trip, you could use NXT 2.0 on the car before hand, then, once there, clean it up real good and apply another coat of NXT. IMO its just so easy to use, has some cleaners in it and produces a great shine and lasts about a month, so another coat once there after a good cleaning is a good idea. Have a safe trip!

Good idea:) was going to use Meg's wash in a bottle when I get in Corona to clean all the bug jerky,(self car wash there) then spray ultimate quik wax, followed by Meg's window cleaner on the windows. Last minute family get together so gotta make the car look good :)

Jomax
04-06-2012, 01:39 AM
. Have a safe trip!

I hope it goes smooth, thanks! :D

Danube
04-06-2012, 03:40 AM
#26 is one of my favorite waxes of all time.

Old school wax, but it rocks!

Conan
04-06-2012, 04:57 AM
I remember using both the paste and liquid version of #26 back in the mid 90's. During those days I found the durability to last all but one rainshower.