PDA

View Full Version : Griots ORBITAL - Getting geeked out, right steps??

Geeked-out
04-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Ok, I'm gearing up to go ALL IN!! with this Griots random orbital I recently got. I have 5.5 back plate with 5' LC Orange , Black, and White pads..

I also have:
Meguiars DMCKIT5 DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit

BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish
BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection

my question to all you vets out there is

What is the correct order for all of this... This is my game plan..

1- wash (dove soap)
2- clay
3- Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction Compound Polish (d300)
4- then Blackfire Finishing Polish (Black Pads ?)
5- then Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection Pads (white pads?)

Does this order look ok?
Also, Am i matching the correct pads up with product?

And finally can I do this all in one day without having to let any product bond , etc..?

Thanks so much for the input..

Mustang81
04-04-2012, 01:29 PM
You've got your black and white pads mixed up. You want to use the finishing polish with the white pad and the BFWD with the black pad.

You might be able to get away with using the finishing polish with the black pad. It depends on how well the D300 finishes. You certainly don't want to use the white pad with the BFWD though.

If you have time, you can do it all in one day. The only thing that requires bonding in your process is the BFWD, and that's the last step.

FASTFRED
04-04-2012, 01:45 PM
I would just get a good wash to wash instead of Dove.

Geeked-out
04-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Hey Fastfred.. WASH TO WASH? dont undertand..

Mustang81
04-04-2012, 03:11 PM
I think he means a real car wash shampoo. Something designed specifically to wash cars with.

If you're doing correction across the whole car, then your correction step will remove whatever was or sealant is already on the car.

Geeked-out
04-04-2012, 03:13 PM
thanks Mustang.. So i have an extra white pad and orange pad.. They wont apply to any of these products..? Keep in mind im using the Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction kit which comes with pads also.. so The orange and white pads arent needed.. correct? Appreciate the help fellas.

Mustang81
04-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Here's what I would do.

I would create a test section on my hood. It would be about 1/6th of the hood. I would start with the white pad and the finishing polish, doing about five section passes. If the test section looked good I would then do that across the whole car.

If it didn't look good, I'd move to another section of the hood. At this point I would try a two step process where I would use the MF pad and the D300 then follow it up with the white pad and the finishing polish. That's really your most aggressive combination.

You *could* try the orange pad and the finishing polish before you try the MF/D300 combo. I would only do this if it looked like your first test section looked really close to what you were hoping for. If it still didn't look good I would then try the MF/D300 combo on a third section.

Why do test sections? You always want to start least aggressive. If that gets the job done not only is your process going to be easier, but you'll polish off less paint in the process.

Don't forget to clean your pad often, unless you have a lot of pads to use. In that case switch them out often.

Geeked-out
04-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks Mustang!

sahrcar
04-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Im surprised no one has spoke up about this yet. Didn't anyone else notice that he said he got a 5.5' backing plate yet his pads are only 5'! Yikes! Your pads need to be bigger than the backing plate or else you risk having the backing plate hit the vehicle you are working on and that can cause an instant burn through or if you are lucky just a deep scratch that could possibly still be polished out if you were only working on a slow speed setting. Still.... If you get 5.5' pads you need a 5' backing plate or even a 4' will do too but the more backing plate that connects with the pad the more correction ability you will achieve since you got more pressure behind the area where the backing plate is.

I do hope that you just typed that backwards and your backing plate is really smaller than your pads!

Geeked-out
04-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Sahcar - You're right that was a typo...

QUICK QUESTION: I forgot to ask what speed I should use on Griots for:

4- then Blackfire Finishing Polish (White Pads)
5- then Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection Pads (Black pads)

Thanks again!!

Mustang81
04-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Sahcar - You're right that was a typo...

QUICK QUESTION: I forgot to ask what speed I should use on Griots for:

4- then Blackfire Finishing Polish (White Pads)
5- then Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection Pads (Black pads)

Thanks again!!

4-5 with the finishing polish. I found 3 works best for the BFWD.

Geeked-out
04-05-2012, 01:13 PM
thanks for all the help!!!