PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Colorchip Question

Pages : [1] 2

alko
04-04-2012, 10:08 AM
I have a customer who has a fine hairline scratch about 2.5-3" long...almost like a razor blade scratched it. Would I be able to use Dr. Colorchip with some success?

embolism
04-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Dr C is not really recommended for scratches, especially ones that are not deep.

Better to go with dealer touchup but that involves wetsanding...

alko
04-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Dr C is not really recommended for scratches, especially ones that are not deep.

Better to go with dealer touchup but that involves wetsanding...

It's actually pretty deep...you can catch your fingernail in it. Does that make a difference?

embolism
04-04-2012, 10:28 AM
I haven't tried it on a scratch before but then again, I wasn't too impressed on the road rash I used it for either... I think the Dr. C website specifically talks about its use for scratches...

what colour is the car? Dr. C works best on dark colours

richy
04-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Alex, I've used it on scratches before. I'd suggest a pointy toothpick to get down deep. Hold it there for a few seconds and let the paint wick down. You might have to do it a few times. Multiple thinner layers are better than one thick one. Level it with their stuff once you get it up to the surrounding surface.

Porsche Pilot
04-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Definitely go the Richy route. He has a write up somewhere on here on the process he uses.

alko
04-04-2012, 12:38 PM
I haven't tried it on a scratch before but then again, I wasn't too impressed on the road rash I used it for either... I think the Dr. C website specifically talks about its use for scratches...

what colour is the car? Dr. C works best on dark colours

Its a white GMC Envoy....same customer whose car I did the interior this past weekend. She also backed up into something and the back bumper has some wrinkle in it. Told her I'd do my best to fix the scratch and the bumper to a realistic result.

Alex, I've used it on scratches before. I'd suggest a pointy toothpick to get down deep. Hold it there for a few seconds and let the paint wick down. You might have to do it a few times. Multiple thinner layers are better than one thick one. Level it with their stuff once you get it up to the surrounding surface.

Hey Richy...I thought it was your article that I read cause I remember you saying "to let the paint wick down." I'm going to pull up the article again. Now should repeat the wicking step a few times and then level out? Or wick it down, level it out and then repeat?

Definitely go the Richy route. He has a write up somewhere on here on the process he uses.

Checking it out now!

embolism
04-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Alex, if you're going to level it using the sealact solution, then maybe do a variant of the Langka method where you wrap the cloth supplied around the edge of a straight edge like a credit card, then go over the area just enough to level but not enough to pull anything out of the scratch.

I started doing this on isolated chips and it worked well but it's too tedious to use for road rash...

alko
04-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Alex, if you're going to level it using the sealact solution, then maybe do a variant of the Langka method where you wrap the cloth supplied around the edge of a straight edge like a credit card, then go over the area just enough to level but not enough to pull anything out of the scratch.

I started doing this on isolated chips and it worked well but it's too tedious to use for road rash...

Ok cool...thanks for the tip. Have you used the Langka? I haven't seen it mentioned at all

embolism
04-04-2012, 02:28 PM
no haven't used it but when I was researching the different kits out there I watched the videos for both and when I wasn't having much success with the Dr. C (paint kept coming out of places I didn't want it to) I tried the method they used in the langka videos with my kit and it seemed to work better for me.

Mobile detail
04-04-2012, 05:00 PM
no haven't used it but when I was researching the different kits out there I watched the videos for both and when I wasn't having much success with the Dr. C (paint kept coming out of places I didn't want it to) I tried the method they used in the langka videos with my kit and it seemed to work better for me.

I had the same problem. I wasn;t really blown away with the Dr C kit. I've used it about 3 times and with scratches, it just didn't want to play nice. For rock chips it works fairly well. Nothing great. For $60, I didn't feel it was worth it. I had the same expreience with the paint coming off places I didn't want it to. I tried letting it dry overnight for a few hours and immeditly and nothing would work. I had better luck using a solvent cleaner/adheasive remover to blob vs their blending solution.

richy
04-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Its a white GMC Envoy....same customer whose car I did the interior this past weekend. She also backed up into something and the back bumper has some wrinkle in it. Told her I'd do my best to fix the scratch and the bumper to a realistic result.

Hey Richy...I thought it was your article that I read cause I remember you saying "to let the paint wick down." I'm going to pull up the article again. Now should repeat the wicking step a few times and then level out? Or wick it down, level it out and then repeat?

Checking it out now!
You're better to do it in steps if it's deep. The key is not putting too much paint in place at one time. Build it to the surrounding level and then level it using something flat (that's how Langka says to do it) and you should be fine. USE A VERY LIGHT TOUCH WHEN LEVELING! or you will pull out the paint. there is definitely an art to using this and Langka. Once you're on to it, it's great.

alko
04-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Richey how long should I let it dry before doing another application? I will probably be able to have it for 24 hours max.

TimmyG
04-05-2012, 12:53 PM
subscribed. My artic white trans am has some road rash and 1 paint deep scratch that drives me nuts!

richy
04-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Richey how long should I let it dry before doing another application? I will probably be able to have it for 24 hours max.

With Langka, you need several hours at least between coats, and especially that long before you start to level it. With Dr C, I think you can do it much faster as I believe they have a faster-curing paint than what you get in a touch up bottle from a paint supplier. Honestly, I can't remember the timing. It should say on the bottle or the included instructions.