PDA

View Full Version : Best OTC Aluminum Polish?

Pages : [1] 2

ShineTimeDetail
04-04-2012, 10:01 AM
I'm looking at buying a new set of rims for the van tonight and I will want to polish them when I get home. I have this impatience issue I deal with on a day to day basis! What would you say is the best over the counter polish? I polished my fenders on my trailer a couple weeks ago with megs cleaner wax and it worked also use CG 721 which also wasn't too bad.

Any Suggestions?

FUNX650
04-04-2012, 10:24 AM
What "type" of aluminum rims?"
(Are they, for example: Raw; painted; painted and 'coated' with a clear-coat paint; just 'coated' with clear-coat paint; powdered-coated; etc.)

Just a suggestion:
Mother's has an assortment of OTC products to meet any of the above aluminum-rim-types' polishing requirements/recommendations. Just need to read the labels affixed to their products.

:)

Bob

dsottum
04-04-2012, 11:22 AM
"Mother's Aluminum Polish" is what many use for OTC and it does work quite well. I use it on exhaust tips and it works great.

shoeless89
04-04-2012, 12:51 PM
I spent 60 hours over the Winter refinishing the lips of my wheel. Two of the OTC products I used were Mother's Aluminum Polish and Nevr Dull. They turned out fantastic! But there was also a LOT of wet sanding prior to any of the polishes. I also used Optimum Metal Polish but thats not OTC.

Dr Oldz
04-04-2012, 01:41 PM
A lot of parts stores carry Busch's aluminum polish. Best stuff period IMO

oldmodman
04-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish.

Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish is a renowned metal polish, legendary in detailing and car collecting circles. The polish is safe on aluminum & mag (http://www.autogeek.net/motmagalpol.html)

It's even available at some grocery stores!

opie_7afe
04-04-2012, 04:09 PM
mothers mag an aluminum polish, with the right pad(felt buffing bob) it can remove 2000 grit sanding scratches with ease...i love the stuff for aluminum, dont use eagle one nano polish, stuff barely turns black on oxidized aluminum and the stuff is almost like jello. heck ive even used m105/205 on aluminum with great results. but just depends what your trying to accomplish. but im sure some mothers will work great for you, another good one is simichrome, my dad used to use that stuff and always worked awesome on aluminum i believe its more aggressive then mothers and hard to find OTC....

to funx i believe mr.shinetime knows the difference between raw and coated aluminum he is a very good professional detailer. i know you're just trying to help and be clear but when your talking to a professional theres no need for questions like that as they should know the difference, if they dont they are not a pro!. just putting my 1 cent in.

FUNX650
04-04-2012, 05:13 PM
to funx i believe mr.shinetime knows the difference between raw and coated aluminum he is a very good professional detailer. i know you're just trying to help and be clear but when your talking to a professional theres no need for questions like that as they should know the difference, if they dont they are not a pro!. just putting my 1 cent in.

To: opie_7afe

My 2 cents...

I appreciate your concern about what questions I may, or may not, be allowed to pose on this Forum. But...

-Yes...You are correct...I was trying to help and be clear because: Not everyone that visits this Forum are professionals.
-And, as far as that goes, true Professionals that post threads for information on this Forum should also know this and, IMO, should not be offended by any of my questions you referrenced.
-A Professional should gladly provide pertinent data upon requests (questions) from other Professionals, in order to obtain truly relevant, germane, and to the point responses.

I just became a little worrisome thinking about anyone using an aluminum/metal polish on clear-coated aluminum rims, that's all.

:)

Bob

ScottB
04-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Mothers Aluminum Polish, or Billet Polish, and a Powerball Mini are both found locally and a very potent apponent.

forrest@mothers
04-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Our Billet Metal Polish is a much finer polish that Mag & Aluminum Polish.

If they're not coated, and high quality machined or cast (with a high shine to them), go with Billet Metal Polish. If they are billet aluminum, use Billet Metal Polish. But, Billet won't remove defects like Mag & Aluminum Polish will.

Hatchman
08-26-2012, 03:16 AM
I've been using Blue Magic for years, but I'm not satisfied with the finish on billet aluminum. How does Mothers compare with Blue Magic? I'm looking for a mirror finish like it was when new.

Vegas Transplant
08-26-2012, 03:27 AM
Mother's is a top choice LSPolish for professional metal finishers.

forrest@mothers
08-26-2012, 08:27 AM
I've been using Blue Magic for years, but I'm not satisfied with the finish on billet aluminum. How does Mothers compare with Blue Magic? I'm looking for a mirror finish like it was when new.

Technique will play a big part of the flawless as new finish.

After you've removed any defects, do your final polish with Billet Polish and a nitrile glove. Remove the excess while still wet with a clean quality microfiber and no pressure.

This is the only way Ive found to achieve a truly flawless finish. You'll see some marring, albeit slight, if you use a microfiber towel or applicator.

Twister
08-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Technique will play a big part of the flawless as new finish.

After you've removed any defects, do your final polish with Billet Polish and a nitrile glove. Remove the excess while still wet with a clean quality microfiber and no pressure.

This is the only way Ive found to achieve a truly flawless finish. You'll see some marring, albeit slight, if you use a microfiber towel or applicator.

That's true. I use a foam applicator when I need a little more cut and finish off with Mothers Billet Polish by hand. When you wipe the residue don't use too much pressure or you will end up with fine scratches in the finish.

Hatchman
08-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Great tips, guys, Thank you! I never heard of the "nitrile glove only" last step. I have pretty good microfiber towels, but always have fine scratches, or a very mild haze. I'll try the Mothers Billet, since even the "non abrasive" Blue Magic is still scratching, and the regular Mothers Mag was far too abrasive.