PDA

View Full Version : Gilmour Foam Master II - Settings?

Pages : [1] 2

Detail_Dude
04-04-2012, 07:26 AM
I have the version of the Gilmour FM II gun with the brass sliding bar rather than the plastic dial. For those of you familiar with both versions, does sliding the brass bar all the way to the right produce the lowest mix ratio (equivalent to setting "A" on the plastic dial version) >> less foam? Also, is there a rhyme or reason to which setting to use or is it whatever fills my thrill?

My objective (right now) is to get good sudsy foam withut an overconcentrated solution that would tamper with my sealant & wax. In a month or so, I wil strip it all, but for now, taking it easy.

Setec Astronomy
04-04-2012, 08:18 AM
I have the version of the Gilmour FM II gun with the brass sliding bar rather than the plastic dial.

That's just called the Foamaster.

For those of you familiar with both versions, does sliding the brass bar all the way to the right produce the lowest mix ratio (equivalent to setting "A" on the plastic dial version) >> less foam?

Well...you don't want to push it all the way to the right with the little upright stop against the center piece. There are 5 settings (just like the II), but there are 6 holes in the spraybar, the one all the way on the left isn't drilled through and it's just for the detent ball to sit in. So what I usually do is push the bar all the way to the left, then start pushing it back to the right--the first hole it falls into is "E", then D, C, B, and A--which will be with the end of the bar a little distance away from the center housing.

EDIT--I think it's really a crummy design (I have 2) and if I ever have to get another one I'll get the II--looking at ABCD or E is a lot easier than counting holes and trying to remember in the spring which way it goes, etc.

Also, is there a rhyme or reason to which setting to use or is it whatever fills my thrill?

My objective (right now) is to get good sudsy foam without an overconcentrated solution that would tamper with my sealant & wax.

I always try to concoct my settings and cup dilutions to acheive the concentration that the wash mfr. suggests, but I seem to be in the minority on this.

Detail_Dude
04-04-2012, 09:33 AM
That's just called the Foamaster.

Now I know better. Thanks.

Well...you don't want to push it all the way to the right with the little upright stop against the center piece. There are 5 settings (just like the II), but there are 6 holes in the spraybar, the one all the way on the left isn't drilled through and it's just for the detent ball to sit in. So what I usually do is push the bar all the way to the left, then start pushing it back to the right--the first hole it falls into is "E", then D, C, B, and A--which will be with the end of the bar a little distance away from the center housing.

That is super helpful. I presume A produces the least foam and E the most. So, A wouls therefore result in a less diluted solution. No wonder why it last longer. :)

As you indicated, what a poor design from an end-user point of view. I do prefer, however brass to plastic.

I always try to concoct my settings and cup dilutions to acheive the concentration that the wash mfr. suggests, but I seem to be in the minority on this.

Rebel! Kidding - much appreciated.

Setec Astronomy
04-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Now I know better. Thanks.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk--just trying to be precise. The Foamaster II is very hard to find, I only know of one detailing store that sells it, and one internet bookseller...that's why I wound up with the regular Foamaster.

I presume A produces the least foam and E the most. So, A wouls therefore result in a less diluted solution.

Yes, I believe that's right. As far as the dilution, if I'm using a wash that requres 1oz/gal, I mix 3:1 in the cup (3 water, one soap) and use the center hole (C, I guess) and that gives me 1oz/gal. Then if I want to richen it up or thin it out I can go two holes in either direction. That's for thick soaps that need to be diluted in order to draw properly up the tube; I've used thin soaps straight in the cup, which is nice because you don't have to refill very often (of course I then have to adjust to the smallest hole or "A").

Some people seem to use very high concentrations of soap in order to get more foaming or more cling...which I guess is ok if you are going to reapply LSP after...it's just a concentration I'd never use in a bucket. By the same token at another forum where we used to have a lot of foam gun discussions, it seemed that some people would use a very weak concentration in the cup. I'm not sure if they compensated by using "E" or if they just wind up putting a lot less soap on the car than I do.

umi000
04-04-2012, 11:34 AM
I agree - I measure my soap and mix it in the soap container such that, using the middle setting (4 oz to 1 gallon), I get the same dilution on the panel that the manufacturer recommends. I then just adjust on the gun if I want it thinner or thicker - though like you, I never go beyond the next higher setting (6 oz to 1 gallon), since I'm worried about degrading my LSP.

Detail_Dude
04-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks guys. I am getting it now. It is now becoming clearer that each setting A through E is +1.2 oz per gallon (A = 1.2 oz per gallon, B = 2.4 oz per gal, etc.), with E = 6oz per gallon.

THAT is good to know!

Setec Astronomy
04-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys. I am getting it now. It is now becoming clearer that each setting A through E is +1.2 oz per gallon (A = 1.2 oz per gallon, B = 2.4 oz per gal, etc.), with E = 6oz per gallon.

The brass one is 1, 2, 4, 6, & 12 oz/gal...I thought the II was the same, but I can't find anything on it right now. Doesn't it say on the cup?

Detail_Dude
04-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Oops...my bad.

hmm....need to check later tonight. I know there is lettering onthe back, but it is kinda washed out for some reason.

opie_7afe
04-04-2012, 04:07 PM
imo i think the gilmour should be renamed to just gilmour soap dispenser gun, all it shoots out is sudsy water far from a good dwelling foam. don't even see the point in the gilmour as the suds don't even last long and dwell time sucks with it, id return it and buy a MTM hydro unit and adapter for around 65$ shipped....you wont get the foam you expect from these things that's why i refuse to buy one..all the soaps.water pressure and adjustments in the world wont make the gilmour do any sort of real dwelling foam...just my 2 cents.

umi000
04-05-2012, 04:24 AM
I don't just use the Gilmour for a pre-foam :)

Detail_Dude
04-05-2012, 07:35 AM
I don't just use the Gilmour for a pre-foam :)
+1 Lots of clingy foam or not, I think it is still a great way to quickly get cleaning solution on a vehicle for either a quick rinse and dry or as a pre-wash step.

opie_7afe
04-05-2012, 10:50 AM
its just the price the foammaster sells for and the lack of foaming is why i dont like it, for that price could pay 10-20$ more and get a real foamer, cant even let the stuff dwell because it just runs off and suds are gone quick and drys on surface, it works about the same as the "foamer" my pressure washer came with anyways..as i said for the price they charge it should work way better but it don't, just my 2 cents lol.

PA DETAILER
04-05-2012, 11:24 AM
its all in the soap. never had a issue with DP XTREEM FOAM or CG MAXI SUDS II.

Detail_Dude
04-05-2012, 12:38 PM
its all in the soap. never had a issue with DP XTREEM FOAM or CG MAXI SUDS II.

Which of those two foam better for you, with the Gilmour?

PA DETAILER
04-06-2012, 01:03 AM
BOTH. really a tie.