PDA

View Full Version : Clay Residue

Pages : [1] 2

BILL
03-13-2007, 09:11 PM
how do you guys get rid of all clay residue after claying..........??? ISO??

ltoman
03-13-2007, 09:13 PM
residue? only lube....
and i just rewash it to be safe.

AUdakota
03-13-2007, 09:36 PM
what do you mean by residue, I have always heard to at least rinse off your car paint after claying.

ltoman
03-13-2007, 09:37 PM
what do you mean by residue, I have always heard to at least rinse off your car paint after claying.

yah, that's why I was it real quickly. but there is never clay left on the car!

HighEndDetail
03-13-2007, 09:46 PM
how do you guys get rid of all clay residue after claying..........??? ISO??

Bill, are you talking about the spray lube used. To help with claying??

quantim0
03-13-2007, 09:54 PM
I find that if I go past a section with proper lube it leaves a hazy residue on the paint. It seems to clay right back off, but if it doesn't a light polish should take care of it.

ScottB
03-14-2007, 05:52 AM
I usually rewash after claying, but clay residue sounds like the clay was grinded into the finish much to hard. It almost glides across it.

Al-53
03-14-2007, 07:27 AM
If the surface is lubed right..you should not have any clay remaining on the paint..if you do you are using to much pressure to clay and grinding it in...just need a light downward pressure and let the clay do the work...if you use to much pressure you can actually make the picked up contaminates work as a abrasive and do some marring..

use alot of lube and gently push the clay and when you feel it bite in a area just work it there a few times tilll it feels like you got it all...do straight line movements and 6 inch strokes..and knead the clay often to get a clean clay surface...

AL

BILL
03-14-2007, 07:29 AM
I usually rewash after claying, but clay residue sounds like the clay was grinded into the finish much to hard. It almost glides across it.

I was reading about rotary buffer hop......and one of the ways that was written to help stop that was making sure you remove all clay residue....

i was wondering also........maybe the lube ???...

QUOTE:

Before buffing with the rotary, make sure the surface is totally clean of any clay residue etc... After claying, I tend to go around the vehicle with some #34 Final Inspection just to make sure no residue was left behind. If there is, the pad will grab it, and proceed to bounce.

Al-53
03-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Bill I never experienced buffer hop after claying with 6" pads..the 8" pads seem to hop alot if not held flat...seems like larger pads take more product to prime the pad surface with the polish which most have a lube in to keep the polish working while buffing to ensure a working time to break the polish down..but using the pads flat stop most hop...unless you gum up the pad..then brush it off...

I wipe the panel down with PB's S&W or a cheap QD before buffing to ensure no wind blown grit is on the panel before buffing...I wipe each panel before buffing..to ensure a clean surface...

I wash before claying...then clay and then wipe each panel and then polish and wash after a polish to get any residue off and any oils if any and then finish it off with a wax or sealant..I see no need to wash 3 times like wash ..clay..wash..polish...wash ...finish with LSP....

AL

BILL
03-14-2007, 08:16 AM
[quote=Al-53]Bill I never experienced buffer hop after claying with 6" pads..the 8" pads seem to hop alot if not held flat...seems like larger pads take more product to prime the pad surface with the polish which most have a lube in to keep the polish working while buffing to ensure a working time to break the polish down..but using the pads flat stop most hop...unless you gum up the pad..then brush it off...

I wipe the panel down with PB's S&W or a cheap QD before buffing to ensure no wind blown grit is on the panel before buffing...I wipe each panel before buffing..to ensure a clean surface...

I wash before claying...then clay and then wipe each panel and then polish and wash after a polish to get any residue off and any oils if any and then finish it off with a wax or sealant..I see no need to wash 3 times like wash ..clay..wash..polish...wash ...finish with LSP....

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Thanks..your right about the bigger pads.hopping if not held flat.....im using the 8" edge 2k waves and love them........although ive experience a little hopping i quickly stopped it with a spritz of pad conditioner
i was just wondering about the clay residue mentioned and thought maybe that was the culprit......
ive been washing down with water after claying, maybe i should use ISO or a QDer??
:)
WHAT DO YOU WIPE DOWN WITH??

Al-53
03-14-2007, 09:02 AM
Bill I use either Poorboys Spray and wipe..or a cheap QD like Meg's.. Mothers...a mix of ONR and water to a QD mixture..or DP 4in 1 will make a cleaning QD..even water and Alcohol will work...just want to ensure a clean surface...no grit or residue...just wipe a panel before doing it....that way it is clean and fresh to polish...

What is the clay residue you mention...clay on the paint or the lube..the lube will not cause any hop..it is basicly just a QD ..I even use soap and water as a lube and never get any hop..you should not have any clay stick to the paint..if it is need more lube or your pressing to hard and grinding the clay in...if you have clay residue on the paint just wipe it off..but seems strange you would have it..

Al

BILL
03-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Bill I use either Poorboys Spray and wipe..or a cheap QD like Meg's.. Mothers...a mix of ONR and water to a QD mixture..or DP 4in 1 will make a cleaning QD..even water and Alcohol will work...just want to ensure a clean surface...no grit or residue...just wipe a panel before doing it....that way it is clean and fresh to polish...

What is the clay residue you mention...clay on the paint or the lube..the lube will not cause any hop..it is basicly just a QD ..I even use soap and water as a lube and never get any hop..you should not have any clay stick to the paint..if it is need more lube or your pressing to hard and grinding the clay in...if you have clay residue on the paint just wipe it off..but seems strange you would have it..

Al

I'm not sure i had clay residue.:confused: .......i saw that article and figured thats why i was hopping on the rotary.....i believe now the hop was lack of prep on the pads , after conditioning the pad the hop disappered......

using EDGE 2K WAVE 8"PADS.......

but your info on wipe down before polish with ISO is what i will do........

thanks .........;)

Woob
03-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Bill this hoping is with a Rotary correct? Clean your pad and panel, then make sure you are wet buffing.

As for that residue, (watery streaks, not particles), mix up some QEW or ONR and just wipe the panel. I use that mix to clay as well for any dirt that may still be on the panel

BILL
03-15-2007, 07:42 AM
Bill this hoping is with a Rotary correct? Clean your pad and panel, then make sure you are wet buffing.

As for that residue, (watery streaks, not particles), mix up some QEW or ONR and just wipe the panel. I use that mix to clay as well for any dirt that may still be on the panel

YES ! rotary hopping... wet buffing you mean pad prepping??

thanks......:)