PDA

View Full Version : Did meguiar's make a mistake??

Pages : [1] 2

rustytruck
04-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Now that you can get some of the meguiar's professional detailer stuff at walmart doesn't that make it "over the counter." I've heard many time's on this forum that "over the counter" stuff doesn't cut it in the real detailing world. Dose it cheapen the brand now that you can pickup underwear,coffee,snow shovels,and professional detailing chemicals all in one stop. I'm just asking???Mirror Glaze & Detailer

M10532 Ultra-Cut Compound
M20532 Ultra-Finishing Polish
M0216 Fine-Cut Cleaner
M0916 Swirl Remover 2.0
W67DA W67DA - Backing Plate
DMC5 DMC5 - 5" Microfiber Cutting Pad
DMF5 DMF5 - 5" Microfiber Finishing Pad
M0616 Professional Cleaner Wax Liquid
M2616 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax
M0716 Show Car Glaze
D30016 Microfiber Correction Cream 16 ounce
D30116 Microfiber Finishing Wax 16 ounce
W4000 W4000 8" Wool Pad Retail
W7207 W7207 - Soft Buff 2.0 Cutting Pad
W8207 W8207 - Soft Buff 2.0 Polishing Pad
W9207 W9207 - Soft Buff 2.0 Finishing Pad
G110V2 Dual Action Polisher
This is the product line up at the walmart stores
I know it's only certain walmart stores (list of stores can also be found on megs forums)I could see if they were only offering these pro products in places like so cal but the Chicopee MA walmart is on the list.

rider9195
04-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Some OTC products perform excellently. It just makes it easier for some to get some of the Mirror Glaze line when they can't wait for it to be shipped.

Grifftech
04-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Now that you can get some of the meguiar's professional detailer stuff at walmart doesn't that make it "over the counter." I've heard many time's on this forum that "over the counter" stuff doesn't cut it in the real detailing world. Dose it cheapen the brand now that you can pickup underwear,coffee,snow shovels,and professional detailing chemicals all in one stop. I'm just asking???Mirror Glaze & Detailer

M10532 Ultra-Cut Compound
M20532 Ultra-Finishing Polish
M0216 Fine-Cut Cleaner
M0916 Swirl Remover 2.0
W67DA W67DA - Backing Plate
DMC5 DMC5 - 5" Microfiber Cutting Pad
DMF5 DMF5 - 5" Microfiber Finishing Pad
M0616 Professional Cleaner Wax Liquid
M2616 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax
M0716 Show Car Glaze
D30016 Microfiber Correction Cream 16 ounce
D30116 Microfiber Finishing Wax 16 ounce
W4000 W4000 8" Wool Pad Retail
W7207 W7207 - Soft Buff 2.0 Cutting Pad
W8207 W8207 - Soft Buff 2.0 Polishing Pad
W9207 W9207 - Soft Buff 2.0 Finishing Pad
G110V2 Dual Action Polisher
This is the product line up at the walmart stores
I know it's only certain walmart stores (list of stores can also be found on megs forums)I could see if they were only offering these pro products in places like so cal but the Chicopee MA walmart is on the list.

Do you have a link to where I can see the list if walmarts?

timaishu
04-02-2012, 08:38 PM
It was posted on the meguiars forum by michael stoops. I dont have the link sorry.

There is one near me that carries it. I wanna check it out sometime.

david11g35
04-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Do you have a link to where I can see the list if walmarts? _http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?53610-M105-205-D300-Pads-Etc-at-Walmart/page2&highlight=walmart_

11PX1
04-02-2012, 08:39 PM
I hate seeing Meguiar's Mirror Glaze professional supplies at my local Walmart at discount prices.

I'd rather:

Pay retail at a paint and body supply store.

Order the stuff and pay for shipping.

File a claim with UPS for trashing my order. (Fitting, since my last Autogeek order arrived arrived repackaged by UPS. After destroying a gallon of detailer, they put my entire order in a plastic garbage bag thereby ensuring that the detailer soaked every other item in the order.)

Most of all, I hate buying Mirror Glaze at Walmart because is makes me feel like one of the unwashed masses. Do you have any idea what shopping does to my ego?

I'd rather shop at a Meguiar's Boutique on Rodeo Drive in 90210 simply because I have low self esteem!

sparty
04-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Mistake?? I don't think so in terms of "cheapening" their product prestige or value. The only issue might be that some people will buy these off the shelf and not really know how to properly use them. Then those same people my complain that these products are terrible and never buy them again. I also don't believe that the average guy or girl will buy them very often.

-Sparty

SON1C
04-02-2012, 08:45 PM
I hate seeing Meguiar's Mirror Glaze professional supplies at my local Walmart at discount prices.

I'd rather:

File a claim with UPS for trashing my order. (Fitting, since my last Autogeek order arrived arrived repackaged by UPS. After destroying a gallon of detailer, they put my entire order in a plastic garbage bag thereby ensuring that the detailer soaked every other item in the order.)

Most of all, I hate buying Mirror Glaze at Walmart because is makes me feel like one of the unwashed masses. Do you have any idea what shopping does to my ego?

I'd rather shop at a Meguiar's Boutique on Rodeo Drive in 90210 simply because I have low self esteem!

lol..

opie_7afe
04-02-2012, 08:46 PM
it makes no difference where you purchase a product, who ever said OTC products don't cut it in ocd detailing like we do here, I would not listen to that person. Detailer's find what works for their customers and them as a detailer. I use a few OTC products on the cars I do some products just work and are at a good price. Heck, I can buy Collinite products and 303 products OTC at boat stores don't make a difference on quality of the product used. If you want to get technical, chemical guys is OTC (they have physical stores). There's another store which carries a lot of the brands sold on Autogeek and made by PBMG located in PA, there's another detailing store in NY that carries all the brands found here. So, it don't matter where you get these products, it matters the quality of the products. Remember everyone can find 105 and 205 local and a lot can find Griot's at Advanced Auto as well so it really makes no difference besides price. Meguiars did not make a mistake, I do not know the official word but my guess is they are doing it for research and see what sells and see if they should offer to more walmart's or something. Detailing is starting to go mainstream now and I think that's due to economy and people who love cars to do their own work instead of paying some one else. Might be in part to the AG shows and only detailing STORE advertising on national tv.

tapp1
04-02-2012, 08:46 PM
M105/205 D300, Pads, Etc at Walmart? - Page 2 (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?53610-M105-205-D300-Pads-Etc-at-Walmart/page2&highlight=walmart)

aerogt01
04-02-2012, 09:27 PM

I'd rather:

I refuse to support Walmart. My wife used to work there and she is of the same opinion.

FUNX650
04-02-2012, 10:20 PM
"Re: Did meguiar's make a mistake"??

There just might have been a couple of missteps taken by Meguiar's over the last 100 years...But their marketing strategies are usually spot-on.

Two missteps that come to mind:

1.) 1964-RE:Floyd M....Finish Kare Products becomes a Meguiar's competitor
2.) 2009-RE:Mike Phillips...AutoGeek's gain, Meguiar's loss.

Not too shabby of a history, IMO.

NOTE: It is well known that, by virtue of me being a consumer, my 'purchases', including detailing products, are usually dictated by comparing price-points offered by various retailers/re-sellers.

:)

Bob

11PX1
04-02-2012, 11:21 PM
I refuse to support Walmart. My wife used to work there and she is of the same opinion.

Isn't it nice when somebody turns sarcasm into a rant against business? I shop at Walmart all the time because I refuse to pay 50% to 125% more for the same stuff elsewhere. Case in point: Loaf of honey wheat bread $2.18 vs. $3.25 at Albertsons (same brand). How about Carroll Shelby's Texas Chili Mix $2.10 vs. $4.59 at Albertsons?

I refuse to subsidize under qualified overpaid union workers with my disposable income. I already do enough of that with government workers and my tax dollars.

In the future, I would appreciate my posts not being used to support a position I do not.

NickZ28
04-03-2012, 05:51 AM
Isn't it nice when somebody turns sarcasm into a rant against business? I shop at Walmart all the time because I refuse to pay 50% to 125% more for the same stuff elsewhere. Case in point: Loaf of honey wheat bread $2.18 vs. $3.25 at Albertsons (same brand). How about Carroll Shelby's Texas Chili Mix $2.10 vs. $4.59 at Albertsons?

I refuse to subsidize under qualified overpaid union workers with my disposable income. I already do enough of that with government workers and my tax dollars.

In the future, I would appreciate my posts not being used to support a position I do not.

:iagree::dblthumb2::dblthumb2: Well said

umi000
04-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Don't really understand the snobbery against OTC products - there are a fair number of OTC products that work really well, just as there are boutique products that don't live up to expectations.