PDA

View Full Version : Good question about orange peel reduction....

J Z06
04-02-2012, 06:39 PM
OK:

My friend Bill has grown to like detailing His nasty black '03 Z06. I refer to it as Nasty because it has awesome carbon fiber side skirts/splitter and custom hood and it's jet black. The car is a 2003 and has only had the fenders, hood and nose re-sprayed due to an incident a few winters ago. Now, I got to talking with Bill on Saturday about His finish. Bill was parked next to a new C6 Z06 and said He could not believe the amount of orange peel that was on it. That His finish looked quite a bit smoother. For a few years now, he's been using the flex r.o. buffer with c.c.s. orange and white pads. S.I.P and Nano exclusively followed by Zaino to finish it off. Bill had asked if the abrasives in the process of using menzerna could be knocking down,smoothing the finish down, reducing the orange peel level? I didn't have an answer right away, though I don't know if that is possible. I felt scuffing with some mild paper(2000 grit) might be the only way to reduce the peel appearance. Is that possible? from using menzerna to smooth it out? I didn't think so.....but I did want to clarify it so I thought this was an appropriate place to ask the question.

Thanks for any answers you can provide. I'll see if Bill will stop in and post a few photo's of His ride. It really is a trick piece! Members here will love it.

Jay:xyxthumbs:

SonOfOC
04-02-2012, 06:45 PM
On a Vette, it would take a whole lot of compounding and polishing to cut down orange peel without sanding.

Not impossible, but color sanding would be much faster with better results.

tuscarora dave
04-02-2012, 07:12 PM
If it was resprayed with a different hardness of paint, to some extent compounding and polishing will change the texture of the orange peel to a more reduced look. I'd never suggest trying to remove orange peel by buffing alone though.

J Z06
04-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks! It was re-sprayed from the fenders forward.