PDA

View Full Version : For the more experienced eyes..

Njohc
04-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Hey guys,
I have a single stage red paint on my car that Im getting ready to detail for the spring. I don't have any of the gauges to tell me exactly how much paint Im working with, and have a suspicion that I might hit primer this time around lol. Theres some major blemishes to the paint that kind of give me an idea of how much is left, but exactly how accurate of a way to tell is this? Also, how much paint is generally removed when correcting a surface for oxidation?
These are some pics I got from certain areas of the car. Obviously trying to tell anything from this is a crapshoot, but does it look like I might be able to get a few more details out of it?
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k264/Herpnut/IMG_0050-1.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k264/Herpnut/IMG_0800-2.jpg

Kristopher1129
04-02-2012, 06:11 PM
If you ask me...it looks like you've got plenty of paint to work with. As far as how much is removed during oxidation removal...I really don't know. It's tough to say.

It really depends on your method. I would just use a polish like 205, and use either LC orange, or white. Try white first.

If you wanted to take the long road, and save paint you could always do the Megs #7 by hand method. Takes longer, requires more muscle, but saves your paint.

If saving the paint is your worry, just don't use compound. Compound isn't needed to remove oxidation. It will also take more paint than necessary. You just want to remove the dead layer.

Njohc
04-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks! Thats good to hear. I actually planned on using the Megs #7 method before and after a very light polish. Im going to have to kick my dad's car out of the garage for a weekend! lol Thanks again.

tuscarora dave
04-02-2012, 07:05 PM
I totally agree with Kristopher. I'd hit that with #7 for sure. I wouldn't even use 205 unless you have swirls and scratches that you want to remove. Also there's no law against machine applying #7 either. I think a polish with SMAT abrasives would remove more paint than necessary to make your car look good but if you're after perfection then I'd say go for it but definitely feed the paint some #7 first.

Njohc
04-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Will do. It has some very light swirls due to me keeping it covered at certain times. Im not necesarilly after a perfect finish. I just want it to look presentable and not oxidized. Im hoping Megs #7 will "revitalize" it enough that it doesn't oxidize so fast in the summer. Im going to keep a good layer of Klasse and Optimum spray wax on it, so we'll see how it fairs compared to last summer.

opie_7afe
04-02-2012, 08:55 PM
I totally agree with Kristopher. I'd hit that with #7 for sure. I wouldn't even use 205 unless you have swirls and scratches that you want to remove. Also there's no law against machine applying #7 either. I think a polish with SMAT abrasives would remove more paint than necessary to make your car look good but if you're after perfection then I'd say go for it but definitely feed the paint some #7 first.

i agree with dave, feed the dried out paint, those spots without paint looks to be down to bare metal and rusted, so theres no easy way to fix it without making it a bigger spot of missing paint. so what i would do is get something to nutralize rust this converts it into something else so it wont rust nor wont spread (forget proper terms having a brain fart) but its will make it so you can paint over it so i would get some touch up paint from the dealer (about 10-20 dollars) and use a tooth pick to fill in the area and wet sand it flat with 3000 grit or 2000 grit then 3000 and start polishing it, i figure after feeding the paint with #7 some meguiars m205 on a white LC pad will work great. if that's not cutting it then switch to 205 and orange pad... and 205 on white should remove 3000 grit sanding scratches from the repair. that's the best advice i can offer in terms of the missing paint. good luck and post more pics for us! also, for the paint missing there's a few good threads/videos on here showing how to do it good and make it look like nothing happened. i do not have the links handy sorry!.