PDA

View Full Version : quick assistance needed

timaishu
04-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Getting ready to polish my roof for an application of opti-coat.

I washed and then clayed my roof with mothers clay. Washed again and did the baggy test and it failed miserably. Paint felt very rough still. So I clayed again with my more aggresive purple top of the line brand clay and it felt a little better but still rough.

My only guess is from when I clear coated my fender. The mist overspray traveled over the roof as it left the garage. But I masked off half the roof before spraying. The front feels just as rough as the back.

Should I try claying again, or go to polish to see if that smooths it out.

Thanks.

BobbyG
04-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Hi Jacob,

It does sound as if you've got some over-spray up there. If the clay isn't removing it then some compound, a wool pad on a rotary buffer is the only other way I'm familiar with...

twisted1
04-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Are you coating due to recent CC failure? I don't know what CC failure feels like. Just saying.

timaishu
04-02-2012, 06:26 PM
I sprayed my fender because the clear started to peel fram a gnarly rock chip.

Anyways, I clayed it 3 times. The last two I used a little more pressure. It feels much better but still some stuff.

I decided to just go ahead and polish the roof. Id say its 95% swirl/rid free now. :)

Bobby - I do not own a rotary. So this is as good as it will get it seems.

Twisted - Yes, my roof is in the very beginning stages of failure. So yes, I am going to apply OC to hopefully slow it down. But that is a good point, that could be it?

I just finished filling in rock chips and now the waiting game begins. 1-2 weeks from now I will apply OC 2.0

Chris Thomas
04-02-2012, 09:43 PM
It'll be gone after compounding if it's contamination or overspray.

timaishu
04-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks Chris. I actually forgot to feel the finish after polishing. I used m205 with a 5.5 orange on speed 5 and it cleaned up my roof nicely. It was funny, if only I was a little more patient I would have go to try my optimum polishes. The UPS guy arrived while I was inspecting the results.