PDA

View Full Version : NEW Porter Cable 7424 HD Plus

Pages : [1] 2

Meghan
05-12-2006, 02:05 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/pcHD.jpg

Your favorite polisher now has a 16 gauge, 25 ft. power cord! Reach far and wide with the Porter Cable 7424 HD Plus. With a 25 ft. cord, the best dual action polisher just got better. The 16 gauge cord is 2 ½ times the length of the ordinary Porter Cable 7424’s cord. This is not a drop cord – it’s wired into the polisher to deliver maximum power and performance. :righton:

FACT: A low gauge indicates a larger cord width, a high gauge indicates a narrower cord. So a 25 ft, 16 gauge cord costs more than a 25 ft, 18 gauge cord. If you use a drop cord, it must be a lower gauge than the cord currently wired into the machine to avoid burning up the motor.

The standard Porter Cable 7424 comes with a 10 ft, 18 gauge power cord. The cord is specific to the power requirements of the polisher. Therefore, the 25 ft cord on the Porter Cable 7424 HD Plus is 16 gauge to maintain the optimum current for optimum performance.

We call this polisher “HD” because of the heavy duty 16 gauge cord. In the world of power cords, a lower gauge equals a thicker cord. The HD Plus model has a 16 gauge cord to give the current a wider path so it can make the 25 ft journey faster.

The Porter Cable 7424 HD Plus is the ultimate polisher for rapid paint correction and maximum maneuverability!

joe.p
05-12-2006, 05:21 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/pcHD.jpg

Your favorite polisher now has a 16 gauge, 25 ft. power cord! Reach far and wide with the Porter Cable 7424 HD Plus. With a 25 ft. cord, the best dual action polisher just got better. The 16 gauge cord is 2 ½ times the length of the ordinary Porter Cable 7424’s cord. This is not a drop cord – it’s wired into the polisher to deliver maximum power and performance. :righton:

FACT: A low gauge indicates a larger cord width, a high gauge indicates a narrower cord. So a 25 ft, 16 gauge cord costs more than a 25 ft, 18 gauge cord. If you use a drop cord, it must be a lower gauge than the cord currently wired into the machine to avoid burning up the motor.

The standard Porter Cable 7424 comes with a 10 ft, 18 gauge power cord. The cord is specific to the power requirements of the polisher. Therefore, the 25 ft cord on the Porter Cable 7424 HD Plus is 16 gauge to maintain the optimum current for optimum performance.

We call this polisher “HD” because of the heavy duty 16 gauge cord. In the world of power cords, a lower gauge equals a thicker cord. The HD Plus model has a 16 gauge cord to give the current a wider path so it can make the 25 ft journey faster.

The Porter Cable 7424 HD Plus is the ultimate polisher for rapid paint correction and maximum maneuverability!
Thanks for the updated version. Anyone who has used the shorter cord version can identify how much of a help a longer cord makes when detailing a vehicle.I never have enough cord on my to go around.I'm always trying to move the cord around or under the car while dragging behind a 25ft ext cord.

A member from another forum offered a great tip. Take a carribiner clip slide the ext cord through the clip and then attatch it to your belt loop then toss the cord over your shoulder. This will help keep the cord from being dragged from behind and you would be less likely to get entangled with the cord and help keep it straddled over your shoulder. It will also help keep the chord from hitting and marring the paint panels as you polish..

Meghan
05-13-2006, 08:24 AM
...A member from another forum offered a great tip. Take a carribiner clip slide the ext cord through the clip and then attatch it to your belt loop then toss the cord over your shoulder. This will help keep the cord from being dragged from behind and you would be less likely to get entangled with the cord and help keep it straddled over your shoulder. It will also help keep the chord from hitting and marring the paint panels as you polish..
Joe that is a great tip! :applause:

Oceanedge
05-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Cool! The longer cord is a product that has been long overdue! Is the cord a factory install or is it someting you guys are doing "in house"?

Mike C.
06-04-2006, 05:38 PM
Cool! The longer cord is a product that has been long overdue! Is the cord a factory install or is it someting you guys are doing "in house"?

i believe it is a factory install, i can wait to get mine tommorow.

abrcrombe
06-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Great update for a great product!

Oceanedge
06-06-2006, 07:00 PM
i believe it is a factory install, i can wait to get mine tommorow. I'd really like to make sure, because I'm afraid that if the cord is NOT a factory install then the warranty could be affected! I used to play in a band and we would have a shop alter the cords in order to reach the dimmer switches, but when word got out; clubs no longer allowed us to bring them to our shows becasue the work voided the UL rating. I know that's off topic, but ever since then; I'm always kind of wary about any product being "improved" by anyone but the manufacturer.... So ease my mind Meghan, what's the scoop?

joe.p
06-06-2006, 09:14 PM
I'd really like to make sure, because I'm afraid that if the cord is NOT a factory install then the warranty could be affected! I used to play in a band and we would have a shop alter the cords in order to reach the dimmer switches, but when word got out; clubs no longer allowed us to bring them to our shows becasue the work voided the UL rating. I know that's off topic, but ever since then; I'm always kind of wary about any product being "improved" by anyone but the manufacturer.... So ease my mind Meghan, what's the scoop?
NOWAY would AG sell a PC with an altered cord,they would never attempt it(would you guys ;) .
Besides if someone was to be injured(electrocuted) this would make AG
and PorterCable liable. AG is a class Act/A one store along with a top of the line Staff.

Oceanedge
06-06-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm sure that you are probably right joe.p but when I go out to the Porter Cable site, they do not show this modification being offered. So, while there is NO DOUBT that A/G is a reputable distributor I'm sure you can understand my relucatnce to lay down money until my questions are answered by a member of the A/G staff!

BlackCoupe
06-06-2006, 10:23 PM
FWIW, it is available at other retailers so I doubt this is a in-house mod. Also, FWIW, if you are going to use an extension cord anyway (i.e. even with the HD). then don;t get the long cord model. It is more of a pain to store than the short cord. The shot cord will wrap around the machine lengthwise several times, the long cord is much bulkier, requires lots of wraps and slides off. I'm going to take mine a part to see if I can shorten the cord from inside, or whether the connections are sealed.

abrcrombe
06-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I just use an extension cord on my 7336.

Meghan
06-07-2006, 09:19 AM
All Porter Cables come with a Manufacturer One year warranty with a 30-day performance certification.
If anyone has any trouble with their PC just give us a call!:awesome:

joe.p
06-07-2006, 03:25 PM
All Porter Cables come with a Manufacturer One year warranty with a 30-day performance certification.
If anyone has any trouble with their PC just give us a call!:awesome:
Has the chord been altered ? His question has me curious :confused:

Meghan
06-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Has the chord been altered ? His question has me curious :confused:
The chord has not been altered.

Oceanedge
06-22-2006, 11:40 PM
http://www.jonco48.com/blog/shocked_small.jpg
The chord has not been altered. So, I guess the more direct question is...has the Porter Cable 7424 unit been altered?....LOL..... I called P/C and they assured me that they have never offered a 7424 with a longer cord....that's what has me curious about the possibility of an aftermarket cord swap out...as stated earlier...If it is an aftermarket cord swap; it seems like it might alter the manuafacturers warranty...