PDA

View Full Version : Pictures or glossy paint.Am I just not getting it?

Billy Baldone
04-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Lately I have been reading the threads about Blackfire followed by( insert favorite product here) and whatever other shiny new item we take pictures of. Am I the only one who sees these pictures and think every single freshly detailed black car looks the exact same? I can look at the different pictures that some people loose their cookies over, but not notice any difference from one picture to the next. Are some people just being nice, or are the pictures and wax jobs really that great?. Someone please tell me I'm not insane.

Flannigan
04-02-2012, 08:42 AM
:iagree: You're insane

BobbyG
04-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Lately I have been reading the threads about Blackfire followed by( insert favorite product here) and whatever other shiny new item we take pictures of. Am I the only one who sees these pictures and think every single freshly detailed black car looks the exact same? I can look at the different pictures that some people loose their cookies over, but not notice any difference from one picture to the next. Are some people just being nice, or are the pictures and wax jobs really that great?. Someone please tell me I'm not insane.

Sane or Insane will both work and both are subjective at best. One might consider me as Sane as they come while others may consider me slightly off center but to the right....sometimes way off to the right......:laughing:

What we do is to reply constructively but with positive support because of the time and effort someones put into a project and is proud enough to post. When starting out encouragement is a key motivator to continue.

Another thing to keep in mind is the quality of the photos and the resolution at which they're taken..

Remember; Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

Ron Atchison
04-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Billy I have to agree with you in the fact that a shiny car is a shiny car. But that is only if your looking at the shiny car. What I mean by this is are you looking at only the shiny car or are you looking at the details that make the shiny car? Many times people will post a picture of something they have detailed and it looks great other times it's just a shiny car. There is so much that goes into a real detail job compared to just a shiny car picture. The ones that most people really get excited about are the detailed pictures. In either event though compliments are made on both as Bobby said encouragement keeps us all goes and striving for better results. The other thing is until you have done a review, or posted about a job you have done with pictures and everything, you don't realize just how much time the person has invested in sharing on top of the detail job itself. Believe me it takes quite a bit of time to do them, more than I ever imagined until I did a couple myself. I have a new found respect for the guys that share these posts.

Billy Baldone
04-02-2012, 09:50 AM
I get ya, I do understand how much time and effort goes into a proper job, most on this forum do, the part I don't get is can anyone REALLY tell the difference in the pictures posted? I don't know where you live in Illinois, but I frequent the Volo Auto Museum every so often, and maybe 1 -2 % of those cars are ever swirl free and actually have good paint, but yet the pictures online look great.

wgilles
04-02-2012, 10:09 AM
It's also hard to see how good a car looks in pictures. Cameras don't deliver the same quality as our own eyeballs do. I'm sure if you saw all these cars lined up in person your jaw would drop.

Kaban
04-02-2012, 10:24 AM
I agree with you to a point. When people take "After" pics of a freshly detailed black car in the shade to show reflection off the side... to me it all looks the same. It's the sun pics that count.

Ron Atchison
04-02-2012, 10:51 AM
I see what you are saying now. 50/50 shots are good along with before and afters of the same panel close up. Otherwise even in the sun taken at a different angle from the first can hide a lot of sins. Ever notice how none of the cars have door dings or chips in the paint. They all look showroom new, so yes there does leave something to be desired unless they are close up shots, but I think most on here know what they are really looking at. Just think how many people have bought a car online based on pictures and crapped their pants when it got delivered.

timaishu
04-02-2012, 12:25 PM
I can see what you mean. To me personally. I cannot see a real tangible difference in car shine based on wax used. To me, the difference is in the prep work, time of day, and angle of reflection that you take the picture of.