PDA

View Full Version : Stepping up from least aggressive

PKJ
04-02-2012, 05:10 AM
Ok, I'm getting ready to start my first paint correction. I've watched the videos here and done a lot of reading on the AG forums and I understand starting out with the least aggressive polish and pad on a test spot to see if that is enough and if not move up in aggressiveness.

The kit I purchased from AG is the Pinnacle XMT Intermediate swirl remover kit and to PC DA. Car is a 08 RX350 in Brandywine Mica color.

If I start out with the XMT Ultra Fine 1 on a white CCS pad and that is not enough what is the next step? Do I move up to the more aggressive XMT Intermediate 3 on a white pad, do I try the Ultra Fine 1 on the orange CCS pad or do I jump straight to the XMT Intermediate 3 on the orange CCS pad?

Thanks for helping a noob get started correctly!

Kurt

Grimm
04-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Since no one else has replied, I'll give my amateur opinion. I don't know if there is a clear cut answer really. Not having experience with more than a couple of polishes, I'm assuming most react differently from each other with different pads. I would probably try the #3 on the white pad to see if it removes the defects and still finishes down nice (and not have to do another step with the #1).

But IMO, judging the fact your car is over 4 years old and may not have had the best care when it comes to washing (since you appear to be new to this); you probably might as well step it all the way up to the #3 polish on an orange pad since the car most likely has pretty heavy swirls.

Mustang81
04-03-2012, 09:52 AM
In Mike's book, he says the next step if the white pad/Ultra Fine 1 doesn't work is to start a new test section with the white pad/XMT 3. If that still doesn't work, then you should do a third test section with the orange pad. I don't have the book in front of me, but I believe once you move up to the orange pad you should start with the XMT 3 on it.

PKJ
04-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Thanks guys. That gives me some direction.

I just bought the car but it was serviced all it's life at the Lexus dealership so I'm assuming it was washed there as well (at least it looks like it). Swirls are not as bad as many pics I see on the forums but definately there.

Next order to AG I'll add Mike's book to the cart.

Thanks again.

Kurt

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Mustang81
04-03-2012, 03:02 PM
It comes signed by the man himself.