PDA

View Full Version : Steamer as sole detailing tool?

Pages : [1] 2

BigBrad
04-01-2012, 03:30 PM
I have been watching a lot of videos and doing some research on steamers. I plan on buying one real soon. I watched a lot of videos on using the optima steamer to detail an entire vehicle inside and out. Seems to be an ok idea as far as water preservation goes. What's your opinion..?

BigBrad
04-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Now I know that won't be the sole "tool" but, do you think it could possibly take the place of actually washing a vehicle..?

AeroCleanse
04-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Now I know that won't be the sole "tool" but, do you think it could possibly take the place of actually washing a vehicle..?

Yes I do. Might not be the fastest way.

BigBrad
04-01-2012, 10:48 PM
I agree that it may not be the fastest way, but it should ultimately eliminate any chance of micro marring from washing. I would think..

604_Snooze
04-02-2012, 01:56 AM
talk to ShineTimeDetail, he has an Optima steamer.

BigBrad
04-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Holy shteamer!!! I just found out how much they are!

Gurge
04-02-2012, 03:16 PM
I don't think I could ever see myself 'washing' an entire car with steam

But I use steam on nearly all my interior details. Exterior mainly for removing someone else's wax from the cracks / emblems

and as you've discovered, a high quality commercial continous fill steam cleaner is buck$$$

you can get cheapies for $100 range (that work ok), better stuff in the $300 range (steam is a little more dry, usually more attachments), the vx5000 is around $800 (used to be $700) and over $1000 you typically start seeing the commercial grade machines with continous fill

oldmodman
04-02-2012, 05:07 PM
I have one of those cheapy steamers that Costco sells and I use it all the time. Great in the convoluted spaces around door hinges, under the hood, and around gas fillers.
And just last weekend I used it on a truck that had some awful goo around the brake calipers.

I'd love to have a real professional steamer but I can't justify the cost since I am just a hobbyist.

AeroCleanse
04-02-2012, 06:35 PM
I think the Optima steamer is 5-6K

Robert8194
04-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Yeah, the Optima is a great machine and can do a lot of the interior and exterior. But, it is rather expensive. I have the Dupray which is a continuous fill with 121 psi and 192 degrees C. I have used it on the exterior on several cars in conjunction with Optimum cleaner. It works well. I have not had any problem with marring but have not used it on a extremely dirty vehicle.

BigBrad
04-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Yes, I spoke with one o there sales guys today and it would be right at $6,000.00 shipped to my door.. WOW!! But I have been researching and watching videos all day and it seems that it would cut time in half! I know it would take a bit to offset the price, but man.. It would replace so many things for me!

BigBrad
04-02-2012, 10:14 PM
I do production detailing and I could potentially loose my traditional washing method( water tank ) and go strictly to steam.. At least I think I could. Am I totally wrong? Please give some opinions..

604_Snooze
04-03-2012, 04:15 AM
I have looked at the Optima steamer, the Dupray Carmen super Inox and the NB2300. Check them out at youtube.

The dupray looks awesome for interior jobs.

AeroCleanse
04-03-2012, 11:29 AM
I do production detailing and I could potentially loose my traditional washing method( water tank ) and go strictly to steam.. At least I think I could. Am I totally wrong? Please give some opinions..

They do have a nice youtube channel. I would ask Optima if you can try one out, perhaps they are having an event somewhere you could go and try it.

BigBrad
04-03-2012, 03:01 PM
I have looked at the Optima steamer, the Dupray Carmen super Inox and the NB2300. Check them out at youtube.

The dupray looks awesome for interior jobs.

Thanks! I'll check them out too.